We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Dactylorhiza fuchsii  (Read 5273 times)

admin

• Administrator
  • Something on the screen moved! The sky is falling!
Dactylorhiza fuchsii
« on: December 07, 2006, 11:24:48 AM »
Anyone grow these or any of the other Scottish  native orchids? Have seen vast stands of these on the western Scottish hills in June (and I mean VAST - 10's if not 100's of 1000's), the white forms being especially attractive. Some are very miniature and was wondering if they stayed that way once sheltered from the Scottish gales. If they could be kept compact a pan of the white form would be a great show plant

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
Re: Dactylorhiza fuchsii
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 12:35:20 PM »
Dactylorhiza fuchsii has turned up in my garden and is now seeding in various pots. D. purpurella grows like a weed in the front lawn of a house along the street from me, only because the owner mows round them. It also grows on the bank opposite Lecropt church between Dunblane and Bridge of Allan by the thousand. This winter there are plans to remove the encroaching scrub (hawthorn etc).
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Bjarne

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 03:20:29 PM »
Hi
Here are a picture of another white Dactylorhiza. It is Dactylorhiza maculata from southwest Norway.

Bjarne Oddane
Jaeren, Southwest Norway

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 04:13:08 PM »
Hi All

I love these plants - unfortunately I don't have any new pictures that I have not already posted on the old forum.  Will try and take lots of pics when they flower in 2007.  I too find them seeding in pots - but not so much in the garden in general - I wonder why that is?.....

John

John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

admin

• Administrator
  • Something on the screen moved! The sky is falling!
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2006, 04:16:53 PM »
John, your pots likely have some fungul  or bacterial organism  the seeds need to germinate and grow on initially. I believe a lot of orchids require this.

Bjarne

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2006, 05:11:48 PM »
Elder-flowered Orchid, Dactylorhiza_sambucina from Telemark, Norway. In Norway only the yellow form exist.

Bjarne Oddane
Jaeren, Southwest Norway

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2006, 06:34:49 PM »
Bjarne, that yellow flowered form really is beautiful.  Is it completely hardy?

If you want to do any swaps with my pink / purple forms in 2007 please let me know.

cheers

John

John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2006, 08:15:32 PM »
A few years ago I had occaision to (legally) rescue some ?Northern Marsh Orchid Dactylorhiza purpurella from the proposed extension of a working quarry. They were growing through limestone cobbles but, beneath, the roots were in running water. I distributed some and put others in the garden in what qualifies as the wetter parts of a dry garden in a relativly dry area of Scotland. Most of them survived and then a couple of years ago was delighted to find that they had started to self seed around. More wonderful 'weeds' to appreciate.

My other Scottish special is a Gymnadenia sp.(Fragrent Orchid) liberated from what later became an RSPB reserve in Strathspey. They have done well in the open garden. No, I know better than to nick plants from the wild like that now even though the meadow was full of them :-[.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Bjarne

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2006, 03:01:48 PM »
Bjarne, that yellow flowered form really is beautiful.  Is it completely hardy?

If you want to do any swaps with my pink / purple forms in 2007 please let me know.

Yes it is beautiful. I have no Dactylorhiza sambucina in my garden, so I can not swap, sorry  I found the plant in a slope. I think it was hundred of them.
Bjarne Oddane
Jaeren, Southwest Norway

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal