We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cypripedium cultivation ?  (Read 5960 times)

Darren

Re: Cypripedium cultivation ?
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2012, 01:52:28 PM »

If I were to buy seven Corydlis corms of some fancy type from Janis put and put them in a pot, they would give a really beautiful show in the spring but the growing skill would be Janis' not mine.

An excellent point. I frequently see pans of Pleione species at shows which are clearly a number of different clones. Unless the exhibitor has raised them from seed then all they are exhibiting is the fact they can afford to buy 20+ bulbs of a rare species. Skill does not enter into it unless they come back with the same pan several years later having not killed them in the meantime. I've more respect for a smaller pan which the exhibitor has bulked up over many years from a single bulb.

The shows have a rule which says the plant must have been grown by the exhibitor for at least 6 months. Easy to buy Corydalis from Janis in August and show them in April without breaking the rules. At least Pleione (usually shipped in December/January) are not likely to be shown the following spring without breaking the rules - so the exhibitor should have had them for a full growing season at least.

Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2012, 07:49:11 PM »
You have hit on an old hobbyhorse of mine, and one of the reasons I stopped showing. People with more money than sense showing nice big pot-full of Pleiones ( which at the time were about £8 each.) fresh from the supplier and popped in a pot with a bit of  moss. They would then parade round the hall with a smile on their their like a Cheshire cat boasting about having won a first prize ???  Enough said. :-X :-X

Slug Killer

• Koolplants
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2012, 08:33:30 PM »
You have hit on an old hobbyhorse of mine, and one of the reasons I stopped showing. People with more money than sense showing nice big pot-full of Pleiones ( which at the time were about £8 each.) fresh from the supplier and popped in a pot with a bit of  moss. They would then parade round the hall with a smile on their their like a Cheshire cat boasting about having won a first prize ???  Enough said. :-X :-X

Never showing any plants at a show and never will for exactly those reasons. I could grow from seed and take years to get enough to make a decent display only to see someone buy FS bulbs, pot in some bark and win and that goes for most plants.

SteveC2

« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2012, 08:47:14 PM »
But in many ways you are missing the point of showing, at least in my sphere, local orchid group shows.  We do it to
1. stimulate interest in growing orchids.
2. to raise awareness of our society and hopefully get a few new members,
3.  to raise money for our society.  We charge only £1 to enter, then make our money on refreshments, tombola etc.  This makes a massive contribution to our finances, pays for our speakers, hall etc.
4.  to meet people, friends and total strangers.  Over the next month I have four shows.  The same people will exhibit at most of them, but many total strangers will come to visit, some for advice, some with a passion for orchids, others who know nothing but might leave with the thought of growing a few.  Our friends at other societies support us and we support them.  Friends being the important word.

Sure some shows have a competitve edge, only rosettes and the occasional trophy at our level and whilst some people are bothered about winning I believe that equally as many could not care less.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 08:50:21 PM by SteveC2 »

Slug Killer

• Koolplants
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2012, 08:54:16 PM »
But in many ways you are missing the point of showing, at least in my sphere, local orchid group shows.  We do it to
1. stimulate interest in growing orchids.
2. to raise awareness of our society and hopefully get a few new members,
3.  to raise money for our society.  We charge only £1 to enter, then make our money on refreshments, tombola etc.  This makes a massive contribution to our finances, pays for our speakers, hall etc.
4.  to meet people, friends and total strangers.  Over the next month I have four shows.  The same people will exhibit at most of them, but many total strangers will come to visit, some for advice, some with a passion for orchids, others who know nothing but might leave with the thought of growing a few.

Sure some shows have a competitve edge, only rosettes and the occasional trophy at our level and whilst some people are bothered about winning I believe that equally as many could not care less.

Good points, I'll go along with that Steve at local level and it's all a bit of fun and should not be taken too seriously and as you say its all the better if it attracts more people.

Problem is there are always going to be competitive people that winning means everything to which I personally think ruins it for everyone as that's when the bitching begins.

Maybe the six months of cultivation (if that is what the rules are) should be extended to at least 12 months and also have different sections for plants you have grown as opposed to plants being shown as I can see some people getting very disappointed seeing someone win with 'shop' bought plants when they have been trying to cultivate them for years.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 09:16:26 PM by Slug Killer »

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2012, 09:33:22 PM »
I believe that equally as many could not care less.

Exactly my attitude at the moment, I am quite content to show pics of my plants here on the forum and let the glory hunters buy their medals at shows if they wish. 
I know that their are some good growers that grow and show their own plants, I am not aiming to any of my remarks at them. Just the few that buy their red cards.  :(

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2012, 11:41:06 PM »
I dont think people show for fun but believe it's all about medals, medals and more medals. I've seen people look what their plants are up against and reenter the plant in a different class where there is more chance of a first.

I dont show anymore.
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Darren

« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2012, 08:07:02 AM »
I agree with Steve's points and I do show for fun, and because I get a buzz when people express interest in my plants, and to aid recruitment to the hobby. Also, I confess, because I love annoying the bun-growing purists by benching south african bulbs etc...

When I show Pleione it is always a potfull I bulked up from one pseudobulb. Same goes for bulbs - either they are seed raised or veg props from a single original. It does annoy me a little if pipped by someone with a clearly 'purchased' potfull.

Anyway - this has gone way off topic.

I had to move a couple of cyps into the greenhouse last night - growth is well advanced on fasciolatum and I fear we may get a frost with these clear nights. I regularly lose the flowers from this species to frost.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 08:11:41 AM by Darren »
Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

monocotman

« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2012, 10:41:22 AM »
I believe that most orchid societies have a '12 month' rule before you are allowed to show.
It was certainly the case for me in a previous society.
I would have thought that 'one growing season' ought to be the least amount of time you should have a plant
before showing,
Regards,
David
'remember that life is a shipwreck, but we must always remember to sing in the life boats'

Heard recently on radio 4

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal