We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Withering flowers of Pleione forrestii  (Read 6280 times)

JPB

• My plants
Withering flowers of Pleione forrestii
« on: October 15, 2007, 09:01:42 AM »
Hi again, last spring I had two bulbs with flowerbuds (one bulb had even two). So far so good, but just before opening, het flowers turned brown and died. I can't see what I did wrong as I applied the culture recomendations strictly and other species (aurita, grandiflora etc.)flowered profusely. Any help is much appreciated. Hans
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 01:30:47 PM by Maggi Young »
NE part of The Netherlands. Hardiness zone 7/8

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
Re: Withering flowers of Pleione forrestii
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 09:49:28 AM »
Hi Hans,

I've had the same frustrating experience with P. Forrestii (and with some other species) over the last few years.  Sometimes, the flowers make it, sometimes the buds turn brown an wither.  From my observations and notes over the years, i've come to the connclusion that this happens most when they suffer from the heat (this spring was extremely warm remember) and a too dry atmosphere.
I now have the firm intention to move the pots with the most sensitive species outside in a dry and shady spot in the early spring as soon as temperature threatens to rise above 15°C in my veranda where I normally keep them and where I cannot aerate or ventilate them as much as I would like to (I have no green- or alpine house)

Hope this helps - hopefully some other people will tell us about their experiences.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 01:31:08 PM by Maggi Young »
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 01:15:25 PM »
Hi Luc,

that's what I have found also. Last March I tried to accelerate some pleiones so that they would be flowering for the RHS London Orchid Show. I placed them on the top shelf in a small growing house with a polycarbonate roof, thinking that the extra light would help. They grew very quickly but, sadly, they lost most of their buds. In March the sun can be quite fierce in these parts.

I shall be more careful next year, pot them up a little earlier, raise the heat just a little bit and apply shading from February onwards. Fingers crossed.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 01:31:20 PM by Maggi Young »
Maren in Marlow, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom - Zone 8

http://www.heritageorchids.co.uk/

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 01:24:23 PM »
Hello, Maren, a warm welcome to the SRGC Forum. Good luck with next year's flowers, it's a tricky one, the re-timing,  isn't it?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 01:31:30 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

JPB

• My plants
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 08:10:32 AM »
I did put one plant outside near a shady northfaced wall last spring, but it did't work out either. Next year I'll take even more care to keep the right conditions. Indeed: fingers crossed! Thanks for the replies.
Hans
NE part of The Netherlands. Hardiness zone 7/8

Slug Killer

• Koolplants
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 07:44:09 PM »
As this is an old topic I wonder if there are any updates regarding the Pleione forrrestii problem? My first two were great this year and then all the rest seem to be aborting. Do they suffer from the sun or is it heat? I put up white fleece on the windows to try and prevent this problem but its not helped.

Slug Killer

• Koolplants
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 07:51:52 PM »
Picture of my first this year and first ever picture taken of a Pleione with new camera (40D)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 03:06:19 PM by Slug Killer »

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 07:58:12 PM »
It's a good one to begin with Slug killer ! - but it shouldn't be in the Withering flowers thread ! - it looks far too good for that  ;)
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

johanneshoeller

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 08:13:16 PM »
I have the same problems although I keep them very cold for a long time. I think P. forrestii do not like  handling or changing like shipping, transport, different storings,...They like silence!
I have only problems with forrestii, but other Pleiones do not open their flowers complete.
Hans Hoeller passed away, after a long illness, on 5th November 2010. His posts remain as a memory of him.

pushrod

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 12:16:27 AM »
Hi new poster here, just wondering if there are anymore thoughts on this because guess what... yes  that's right my forrestii  flowers have just gone brown when they were right on the edge of flowering. As i have blown it for this year any tips on making sure that i get decent sized bulbs for next year?   
Thanks  in advance.         

Paul Cumbleton

• Pleione Wizard
    • The Pleione Website
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2009, 12:44:31 PM »
I'm still not really sure what causes this problem of buds turning brown and aborting. It may well be heat, or more specifically rapid changes in temperature (a large diurnal range). I suspect that humidity levels may also be involved in some way, but just how I don't know. It's also confusing that some individuals do this while others don't - I have some pans of all the same clone  where half the bulbs have turned brown and aborted while the other half in the pot flowered as normal. All rather frustrating!

Paul
Paul Cumbleton, Somerton, Somerset, U.K. Zone 8b (U.S. system plant hardiness zone)

I occasionally sell spare plants on ebay -
see http://ebay.eu/1n3uCgm

http://www.pleione.info/

Slug Killer

• Koolplants
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 03:11:36 PM »
Hi All

Just wondering if anyone has had this problem with any other species of Pleione or is it just Pln forrestii?

Dave

PJ

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2009, 07:49:29 PM »
Hi Dave & All

I have had buds turning brown and aborting on humilis, this has also happened to my winter flowering hybrids but never on plants that flower later.
I would suggest temperature change.
But your guess is as good as mine.

Peter
Peter
Northolt UK.

pushrod

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2009, 10:38:28 PM »
Mine was doing fine in the greenhouse and was just about to open so i brought it into the kitchen (to admire it more easily) and two days later it suddenly went brown  :o. The night time temp would have been warmer but the daytime would have been similar. The north facing window sill would have had quite strong late afternoon sun, which it wouldn't have got in the greenhouse.
My myojin don't seem to mind this sort of movement at all.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2009, 05:01:02 PM »
I've just found a clay pot on its side in an open frame outside with moss and a fern and forrestii with several flower buds. Will take a pic when they open.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal