We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cypripedium 2011  (Read 43015 times)

JohnLonsdale

• Edgewood Gardens
Re: Cypripedium 2011
« Reply #240 on: August 31, 2011, 11:27:12 PM »

I would recommend protecting kentuckiense in the winter as they do not like temperatures that go below minus 10, especially if they are planted out.

I'm not sure where this information came from, assuming you mean degrees centigrade.  They are totally unscathed in the garden at temperatures down to at least 0F, -20C, and have been so here for many years, usually without snow cover for any extended period.  Our lowest has been -4.5F, usually we get down to 5F.  Of course this assumes other conditions are to their liking.

John
John T Lonsdale PhD
407 Edgewood Drive,
Exton, Pennsylvania 19341, USA

Home: 610 594 9232
Cell: 484 678 9856
Fax: 801 327 1266

Visit "Edgewood" - The Lonsdale Garden at http://www.edgewoodgardens.net

USDA Zone 6b

arisaema

« Reply #241 on: September 01, 2011, 09:46:01 AM »
Jeff;

Were the roots on your kentuckiense as badly developed as those on my plant, or did I get a dud? I'm tempted to order a couple of trays next spring, but I'd prefer not to have to nurse them thru the summer like I did this plant... Also, if you don't mind me asking, did you order any of the mixed trays, and did they contain anything exciting?

John;

Thanks again, I'm hoping it'll prove hardy, it's not worth fussing too much over £20... (Although I suspect I'll have to protect it against winter wet.) Wonder if any hardiness issues might be connected to a lack of summer heat or the shorter growing season?

Jeff Hutchings

« Reply #242 on: September 02, 2011, 08:43:05 AM »
Hi,

The root development was variable across the four different types they sent (I have not said species as whilst two looked like species they came with a made up name. I think the root development acheived was because I put them into 2 lr pots quickly and ensured the existing mix was loosened around the exisiting roots and rhizome. The grit in the Dutch mix was a little small and the amount of organic material rather high for the size of pot.

I have just been checking about 60 show pots and found that some which were repotted 2-4 years ago with a higher organic content have not developed the nice creamy roots this summer and have lost the tips of some of the older roots. i intend carrying out pH tests to see what has happened to the pH. My other concern was pots were I had used seramis as I (and others) have found problems with seramis causing root rot.

Mixed trolleys meant a shelf each of four different ones. I ordered c reginae alba but they sent the ordinary type.

To answer John, some clones of kentuckiense suffer bud loss in very cold weather when planted out in the north of England and Scotland. It is likely the amount of rain is a contributing factor as the soil is quite wet during the winter. This has been my experience and the experience of a number of customers.

Jeff

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #243 on: September 02, 2011, 09:27:05 AM »
Hi,

funny you should say that Seramis causes root rot for you. I suppose it depends on all the other factors, watering, feeding, pot size, position etc etc. I have had terrific results with Seramis and I would recommend it without hesitation. Because of the high cost, I have lately mixed it with 2 - 5mm pumice, 50:50. The results are the same. :)
Maren in Marlow, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom - Zone 8

http://www.heritageorchids.co.uk/

arisaema

« Reply #244 on: September 02, 2011, 09:29:43 AM »
Jeff;

Thanks again! Like you I thought the mix looked less than ideal, I guess it's fine for growing them in a greenhouse, but the quartz sand was far too fine and the organic content too high for it too be used for plants in the open - it retained way too much water. C. reginae 'Alba' did have very nice roots when it arrived, but that species seem to tolerate just about anything.

> some clones of kentuckiense suffer bud loss in very cold weather when planted out in the north of England and Scotland

That fits with the experience of a couple of friends of mine who bought kentuckiense last year, the larger buds had seemingly died off leaving some adventitious buds to take over. I don't however know what sort of mix they were planted in, nor do I know what the roots looked like.

My own mix is moler clay cat litter mixed with variable amounts of composted bark and oyster shells, most species seem very happy with that mix both in pots and in the garden, it's definitely far superior to perlite.

Peter Maguire

• Camera-toting Gadabout - and new Grandad!
« Reply #245 on: September 02, 2011, 06:18:23 PM »
I've also found Seramis (or at least it's equivalent in moler clay cat litter form) has worked with me to grow on deflasked Cypripedium seedlings.
I use a mix of 45% cat litter, 45% perlite and 10% leaf mould. The seedlings are growing in a deep polystyrene box (broccoli box from the greengrocer) and recieve an overhead sprinkling twicw a day during the summer, with supplemental half strength tomato feed when I remember  - about once every two months. The box was kept fairly dry on the floor of the greenhouse over the winter.
I wouldn't say that the plants are growing strongly, but I haven't lost any seedlings, so I would regard this as a success, unlike my previous mix of supersphag/seramis which was just too wet. The seedlings in the seramis/perlite mix are the survivors from the previous regime.
Peter Maguire
Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K.

"I've killed so many plants. I walked into a nursery once and my face was on a wanted poster." - Rita Rudner

http://www.pmfoto.co.uk/

JohnLonsdale

• Edgewood Gardens
« Reply #246 on: September 03, 2011, 02:04:19 PM »
Hi,

To answer John, some clones of kentuckiense suffer bud loss in very cold weather when planted out in the north of England and Scotland. It is likely the amount of rain is a contributing factor as the soil is quite wet during the winter. This has been my experience and the experience of a number of customers.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

That's an interesting observation.  I can only think that the large buds are more susceptible to rot when it is very cold and wet.  Here it is much colder but the drainage is perfect.  We did just get 20" of rain in August and there wasn't a puddle to be seen in the garden!  I don't know of any herbaceous plant 'ripening' or being more cold hardy because of increased summer heat and length of growing season, such as we have here and the cyp does in habitat.  I know I can lift clumps of kentuckiense in early September and bare root and store them in our basement at 65F for a month or two then replant them without any difference in growth or survival.

It's a good job kentuckiense is so easy here because none of the more northern or western american plants and none of the Chinese cyps will survive more than a season or two in the garden - too hot and humid in summer and too little diurnal temperature variation.

best,

John
John T Lonsdale PhD
407 Edgewood Drive,
Exton, Pennsylvania 19341, USA

Home: 610 594 9232
Cell: 484 678 9856
Fax: 801 327 1266

Visit "Edgewood" - The Lonsdale Garden at http://www.edgewoodgardens.net

USDA Zone 6b

arisaema

« Reply #247 on: September 04, 2011, 11:44:26 AM »
I don't know of any herbaceous plant 'ripening' or being more cold hardy because of increased summer heat and length of growing season

While not directly related to 'ripening', the lack of heat does at least cause some issues for certain Chinese Paris (and quite possibly Polygonatum), they are hardy enough but the cool climate can sometimes delay sprouting until July causing them to dwindle over several years.

John Aipassa

« Reply #248 on: December 27, 2011, 03:15:46 PM »
Neither have I. I am going to Holland WITH A VAN on Monday and it would be a terrific opportunity. But they don't answer.

I'll try to contact Camiel de Jong seperately; met him at Kew a few years ago and thought he was a thoroughly nice and decent chap. He has written very lucidly about growing cypripedium from seed.

I also looked at the website of http://www.anthura.nl/page/en/producttypes/introduction, and they only list anthurium, Phalaenopsis and Bromeliads as their products. I also tried Javado and Noviflora, neither list cypripedium in their repertoire.

If anybody can prodvide some leads, I'll be happy to adjust my itinerary.

Here is their website. Maybe you can use the contact form on this site for availability. http://www.gardenorchid.com/en/

Cheers,
John Aipassa, Aalten, The Netherlands
z7, sandy soil, maritime climate

"In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous." - Aristotle

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #249 on: December 27, 2011, 05:36:03 PM »
Hi john,
thank you for the address. I have been in contact with them but they don't deliver when I need the plants (for shows). So that's a no no for me.

John Aipassa

« Reply #250 on: December 27, 2011, 07:33:28 PM »
Hello Maren,

Have you tried Judith Prins Garden Orchids also from The Netherlands? Her retail prices of Cyps are very reasonable (e.g. 15 euros for a multibudded reginae and 29.50 euros for a white one). I expect her wholesale prices are cheaper. Her website is www.judithprinstuinorchidee.nl. It is all in Dutch, but through her contact page you can ask her for her pricelists. Her orchids are lab propagated.

A good alternative is Phytesia in Belgium. The prices for Cyps (10 plants or more) are very reasonable. Their website is www.phytesia.com and log in as a retailer to see the wholesale prices. Also lab propagated.

Good luck.

Cheers,
John Aipassa, Aalten, The Netherlands
z7, sandy soil, maritime climate

"In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous." - Aristotle

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #251 on: December 27, 2011, 10:44:37 PM »
Hi John,

thanks for this. I have been buying plants from both suppliers and as you say, they are very reasonable and the quality is excellent.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal