We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: pleione  (Read 1946 times)

jon

pleione
« on: October 19, 2011, 09:33:51 PM »
Pleione  hookeriana, these are supposed to have stolons, anyone ever seen them?
How do you propagate, bulb or stolon 'sets'  I am very keen to know 

Slug Killer

• Koolplants
Re: pleione
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 10:09:33 PM »
Hi, I took some photo's last year so your in luck. Not the best pictures but they were difficult to shoot. Bulbs propagate as normal and the stolons form small bulbs of their own. I've noticed you are more likely to get them if the bullb has lost the main new shoot.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 10:12:43 PM by Slug Killer »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 10:19:37 PM »
Welcome to the Forum, Jon. Didn't take long to get you an answer, complete with photos, eh? ! 8)

Hope you will enjoy learning more here!
m
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

jon

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 01:47:16 PM »
Thanks Slug Killer for your very quick reply which solves my question.  I should have known, allot of orchids
when stressed, i.e. near to death, make one last attempt to pass on their genes.  All I have to do now is to
get my hands on one.
Regards  Jon.

jon

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 01:51:35 PM »
Hi Maggie
Thanks for your reception, yes my replies were quick and just what I wanted.
You have a very good forum here.
Regards  Jon

bulb

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 02:47:32 PM »
Hi,
I gived pleiones to fridge and some of them are after few days soft. Do you know why some do that and is it bad for these bulbs? I have in fridge temperature 6degrees of Celsium. 
many thanks,, Bob

Graham Catlow

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2011, 05:08:12 PM »
Hi,
I gived pleiones to fridge and some of them are after few days soft. Do you know why some do that and is it bad for these bulbs? I have in fridge temperature 6degrees of Celsium. 
many thanks,, Bob

Hi Bob,
Welcome to the forum.
Without knowing your experience with Pleiones this answer may be something that you know already.
I have never had a problem with putting my Pleiones in the fridges and 6 celcius sounds ok.
Are you aware (and I apologise if you are), that bulbs are replaced every year by a new one and the old one will go soft and wither away. These old bulbs should be removed and discarded before storing. Is it possible that it is these bulbs that have gone soft. If it is then they need to be removed before they rot and produce fungus. Even if it is not then the soft ones will need to be removed anyway as they too will rot. Not sure what the problem is if it isn't the old bulbs.
Before storing mine I ensure they are thoroughly dry by leaving them in a warm room for a couple of days. And I check them regularly.
Hope this helps and apologise again if you are aware of anything I have suggested.
Bo'ness. Scotland

bulb

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2011, 05:47:42 PM »
Hi Graham,
thanks for quick answer. I am growing them second year and I do not remember if they do it last year  :-\. They are all of them new bulbs and do this just some bulbs 1-2 pieces of any genus. Could it be that becasue I gived them too early from pot and they were not dormant? Some hads good roots and just yellow leaves but all were in same pot so I had to take all at same time to fridge. They are not so many soft just little - maybe it is ok, so I ask better growers.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 07:18:02 PM by bulb »

Slug Killer

• Koolplants
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2011, 02:26:33 PM »
Hello Bob

Looking at the photo I think you have taken the bulbs out of the pot too soon. You must wait until all the leaves have fallen off. It does not matter if some leaves fall off before others as they can still be left in the pot. You can then take out of the pot but leave the roots dry up before trimming back. Some people leave all the bulbs and bulbils in the pots until they need re-potting the following year.

If you take the leaves and roots off before they go dormant the new bulbs will have not hardened enough for winter dormancy and may go soft in or out of the fridge. I hope they survive for you, some do.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal