We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Pleione brown top of leaf  (Read 948 times)

kembis

Pleione brown top of leaf
« on: June 16, 2011, 03:01:09 PM »
Hi to all,
I have problem with some pleiones. Their top of leaf is going to dry brown color and it is still raising. Last week I tried use Physan20 to stop it, but I am not sure that it is rot. Does anybody know what can it be and how to stop it?
many thanks,, Kembis
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 03:33:29 PM by kembis »

SteveC2

Re: Pleione brown top of leaf
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 03:18:42 PM »
Don't know what it is but I've found that it can be sliced off with a clean pair of scissors and this seems to stop the spread without effecting the size of the new bulb too much.  I've found that it's quite common in the autumn flowerers which are already quite a way into their growing season.

Darren

Re: Pleione brown top of leaf
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 10:48:16 AM »
'Pleione leaf-tip die back' is, I think, covered in the Butterfield & Cribb monograph but I'm sure Paul or Maren can elaborate further. From what I remember It is a physiological condition believed to be caused by poor calcium uptake/transportation within the plant. If it happens with me it usually indicates a problem at the roots.  I used to see it a lot when I kept my Pleione under glass in summer, with high temperatures & low humidity. Now that I grow them outside from May - September I almost never see it.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 10:57:50 AM by Darren »
Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal