We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Curly tufts on Pleiones  (Read 6959 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Curly tufts on Pleiones
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2007, 11:28:38 AM »
Quite so, Kaye, it is impossible to have TOO many Pleione humilis! The Kingdon Ward form is my favourite but, sadly, we don't have it any more... good luck with growing on the babies...every effort to propagate these plants is worth it!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Andrew

• Trainee Croconut
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2007, 01:26:55 PM »
The tiny ones were mainly on P. humilis and it would be nice to have a few more to bulk them up.  ;)

It must be the year for P. humilis to go 'funny', that is what mine are !

I do not bother with the bulbils and normally pull them off, would you like some extra ones Kaye ?

I forgot to mention in the other post that some are making more than one leaf this year and not just on P. humilis, again it is the first year I have seen this happen.
Andrew, North Cambridgeshire, England.

Simon Elcomb

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2008, 04:19:40 PM »
My humilis usually do this but I have not had much luck growing on the tiny bulbils.
There is an article in the now defunct "National Pleione Report" 1994 on micropropagating Pleiones by A F Gosden that appears to be just the thing to bring these on. Far too complex for me to try but I have passed on some of these tiny bulbils to Tony to grow.
Perhaps you could try it??
If you can't find a copy on the article I could happily pass it on.

(Andrew - if you don't bother with bulbils please throw them in my direction! I would grow them on and share the larger bulbs with you!!)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 04:26:33 PM by Simon Elcomb »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal