We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Gardening Scotland 2011  (Read 8699 times)

Carol Shaw

Re: Gardening Scotland 2011
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2011, 09:05:14 AM »
David & I are heading off shortly with more plants plus five crates of books... Everything is looking good so far and I'm sure the team will have lots more done before we get there.
Carol
near Forres,Scotland [the banana belt]

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2011, 05:01:59 PM »
some more pictures taken throughout today.

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2011, 05:07:59 PM »
and the rest taken today

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2011, 05:38:45 PM »
Absolutely terrific pictures Stan reminded me of all the striving we did at Tatton, the plants and gravel hide all the messy bits.  Mind you you always find you've got a wee gap somewhere and the gravel disappears like water down the plug.  All part of the fun. ::)
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

Liz Mills

• Immediate Past President
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2011, 08:14:31 PM »
Thanks, Stan, for posting all these photos.  I'm sorry I never got round to looking at them last night for I was still busy making plant labels.  But looking at the photos from Day 1 and those of Day 2 just reminds me of how much you and all the others have put in to create the first ever joint display (Scottish Rock Garden Club and Kevock Plants) at Gardening Scotland.   When I left about 4.45 today, the display was almost finished and was looking amazingly beautiful.  Here's the names of some of the SRGC people who've been working flat out these last 2 days - Stan da Prato of course, Ian Pryde (who's worked for weeks building of the display boxes), Graham Wenham and Al Elliott - ably supported as always buy us women of course - Lesley Scott, Peggy Anderson, Carole Bainbridge and yours truly.  And Carol and David Shaw arrived from the North this afternoon to lend a hand.

Directing, designing and organising us all have been Stella and David Rankin from Kevock Plants (and also long time SRGC members) ably assisted by Ian and Corinne.  How Stella and David are still able to stand, never mind work and keep us all in order is fantastic considering they just arrived back from Chelsea on Sunday night, fresh from their success in winning a Silver Gilt Award for their display. But they've been unfailingly cheerful, helpful and patient with us all.  And we've all thoroughly enjoyed ourselves these last two days.  Now, tomorrow, all we've got left to do look forward to is a huge clean and tidy up as well as setting up our promotion/sales tables before the judges arrive.  Look forward to seeing the results in Stan's photos tomorrow.

Will tell you all about who supplied some of the stunning plants tomorrow. 

angie

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2011, 10:51:02 PM »
Brilliant, it looks really hard work. Can't wait to see it up close. Well done everyone.
Stan thanks for the preview.

Angie :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2011, 08:09:42 AM »
looks brilliant!
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Richard Green

• Journal Access Group
  • SRGC Treasurer
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2011, 01:24:24 PM »
It is absolutely fascinating to see how the stand is actually fitted together with all those holes for plants and top dressing in between.  It clearly displays far more professional skills than just basic DIY - and that's just the stand without even considering the splendid plants themselves !  Well done to everyone.
Richard Green - Balfron Station, West Central Scotland

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2011, 06:26:55 PM »
I'm regretting not booking a flight :'(
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2011, 06:55:50 PM »
some from today when only some labels were still to add.

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2011, 07:00:19 PM »
and a second batch

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2011, 07:45:06 PM »
some hardy plant nurseries - Macplants; Hartside; Cairnsmore; Amand; Proud Plants;  Letham; Binny; Plantagogo; Bowdens hostas & ferns; Eliz. Macgregor

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2011, 08:04:29 PM »
More wonderful photos, Stan, to give us a real feel for the stand and others in the Floral Hall.

Remember to click on the pictures to enlarge them, Folks!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Liz Mills

• Immediate Past President
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2011, 08:55:39 PM »
Well done, Stan, for your photos really capture the essence of our stand and all the others of our friends at Gardening Scotland.  I'd hoped we could get a photo of all the team who worked on staging the display, but two of our stalwarts, Lesley and Al, were back at their day jobs and we thought it wouldn't be right to have a 'team photo' without them.

Stan has been really busy today - I don't know how he found the time to take all these photos.  When I arrived he was looking VERY SMART and getting ready, along with Stella Rankin, for his TV interview to be shown on next week's Beechgrove Garden.  Then, while the rest of the team were busy titivating the display (tweezers, scissors, brushes, extra plant labels, moss and gravel in hand), Stan was off outside to help his local school create their pallette garden.  He did keep coming back to see us and to check that we were naming all his dwarf conifers, shrubs and ferns correctly and I assume that's when he took the photos.

We all left the Hall early today prior to the judges' appearance at 4 o'clock - and when we get back in tomorrow morning, we'll find out what they thought.  Fingers crossed.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2011, 10:10:33 PM »
I imagined that Stan would be busy, too, with the pallet gardens.... he is a real champion of them... in all senses of the word. The Pallet gardens are one of the features of the show that everyone I've spoken to over the years has really enjoyed, because everyone can have a go.... schools,local garden clubs, I'm sure even the local pub could make an entry... just have to build a garden that fiits into/ onto a size of a standard packaging pallet... which is roughly a metre square, I think.
See this for more http://www.gardeningscotland.com/about/features/pallet-garden-competition/
and I think Ian had some photos on the Forum/Bulb Log from previous years and Stan did too, I'm sure.....
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal