We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: New newbie  (Read 1106 times)

Kelo

New newbie
« on: March 13, 2011, 12:18:15 AM »
Hi people, I'm new to the forum and I thought I would post this in this section because with pleiones I am a novice but I'm rather taken with them. I bought one or two (around 90 of them lol) and several are about to bloom. I have the following - around 50 of them were bought labelled 'mix' so I have no idea what might eventually pop up. Do any of you who have grown these have any hints or tips that may not be mentioned in their general care?

I have:-
50 as a 'mix' and varying amounts of the following...
Pleione Eiger TO "AH" bulbils
Mei Moon
Riah Shan
Cairngorm
Gary Mundey
Pleionoides Yunnan
Oriental Splendour
Kenya Bald Eagle
Marco Polo
Humilus
Formosana Clare
Souffriere
Tongariro
and
Bulbocodioides.

I grow other orchids too but sadly our tropical weather is too rough for them ;)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: New newbie
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 12:24:34 AM »
I grow other orchids too but sadly our tropical weather is too rough for them
Hi Kelo, do I detect the slightly cheesed off tone of a resident of the British Isles?  ;) :D

Is there any wonder we whinge about the weather... ther's a lot of it to moan about!

Sounds like you're well on the way to developing a pleione obsession..... think of this as a valuable self-help group.... .you won't be cured, but you'll discover you're not alone!!  ;D
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Paul Cumbleton

• Pleione Wizard
    • The Pleione Website
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 10:36:22 AM »
Hi Kelo,
Welcome to the forum and to the Pleione obsession! If you post pictures of any of your "mix" when they flower, we can try to identify them for you. Some are distinctive so are easily named, while many hybrids are so similar to each other that it can be impossible to be sure what un-named plants are. We will do our best.

Perchance you are not aware of my Pleione Website, that is a good place to start for cultivation advice - see www.pleione.info  - and we can try to answer specific questions here.

I am unfamiliar with "Mei Moon" - it is not a registered name. Do you know any more about it?  You may be interested to know that 'Cairngorm ' and 'Oriental Splendour' are named forms of Pleione formosana, while 'Gary Mundey' should be Gerry Mundey and pleionoides Yunnan should be bulbocodioides 'Yunnan'. Hope you dont mind me pointing these out - if you are not bothered about proper names, just ignore me and enjoy the plants!! :)

Paul

Paul Cumbleton, Somerton, Somerset, U.K. Zone 8b (U.S. system plant hardiness zone)

I occasionally sell spare plants on ebay -
see http://ebay.eu/1n3uCgm

http://www.pleione.info/

Sam

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 07:09:12 PM »
i think Mei moon is also a formosana clone
Sam
north of France(border with Belgium)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal