We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Where I grow my pleiones or Restoring a Victorian Greenhouse  (Read 7729 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Where I grow my pleiones or Restoring a Victorian Greenhouse
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2010, 07:03:34 PM »

Wonderful of you to let us all admire your fantastic glasshouse, without having to help you with all the hard work Maren!

draft (will someone help me with the spelling of this word please). :)  - the spelling you want is draught.  (A draft is a rough sketch or outline)

Being Friday a pint or two of my favourite draft may well be on the agenda ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2010, 10:58:13 PM »
Thank you Gail, much appreciated, I knew it was there somewhere but drought meant something else and I will join everybody in a draft or two tonight. :) :) :) ;)

More progress to follow. I have been held back a bit, had a cataract taken out of my right eye on Tuesday but was able to drive again today, so the surgeon said. I recommend it if required, the result is spectacular. ;D
Maren in Marlow, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom - Zone 8

http://www.heritageorchids.co.uk/

arilnut

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2010, 01:38:16 AM »
Hi Maren and Gail. Both spellings are correct and there about 15 different meanings of the word.
In your context it is a movement of air such as a cold draft under the door in winter.
Also describes the upward movement of air in a chimney,

John B
John  B.
Hopelessly hooked on Aril Iris

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2010, 05:15:20 AM »
Hi Maren and Gail. Both spellings are correct and there about 15 different meanings of the word.
In your context it is a movement of air such as a cold draft under the door in winter.
Also describes the upward movement of air in a chimney,

John B
The definition of a draft is when someone else leaves a door/window open; if you leave it open it's called "fresh air"!
 ;D
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2010, 07:53:20 AM »
The definition of a draught is when someone else leaves a door/window open; if you leave it open it's called "fresh air"!
 ;D

Fermi, that's brilliant, I'll remember that.  ;D ;D

Oops, haven't quite got the hang of a quote. Can someone teach me please? It looks much nicer when done properly.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 05:51:30 PM by Maren »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2010, 09:58:29 AM »
If you wish to quote the whole text of a post then clicking on the "quote" button to the top left of the post is the way to go.
Should you only want to quote a phrase from a post, the best way is to copy and paste the phrase, then highlight the text and hit the yellow quote balloon icon in the range of options above your text box.... that will place your phrase in the neat quote box.  Or you can follow the first method and delete any phrases you don't want.
happy to help!

I'm glad to hear your eye operation has gone well..... I seem to know a lot of people having eye ops and the thought terrifies me!

M
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2010, 07:37:25 PM »

I'm glad to hear your eye operation has gone well..... I seem to know a lot of people having eye ops and the thought terrifies me!

.... and me. It's the end of the world if I get as much as a speck of grit in my eye, can't even do eye drops as I can't face keeping my eye open long enough to get the drops in there.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2010, 07:48:47 PM »
This is getting a bit off topic, but regarding eyes, yes, I'm with you. But I have mastered the eye drops by telling myself that I am putting them into the opening at the bottom, and not into they eye. This may be factually incorrect but it suits my nervous disposition to think of it that way. About the op itself, I was scared but it had to be done so there was nothing for it. In the end, it turned out to be more of an inconvenience than anything painful or traumatic. And the result - oh, the colours I can now see!! Being an orchid judge, that is even more of a bonus. :) :) :)

Maxime_P

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2010, 12:11:01 PM »
Amazing, it's gorgeous !!  ;D Very good job !
Maxime

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2010, 07:03:32 PM »
Hi,
I was hoping to be able to report that the Pleione wing of the Victorian greenhouse had been completed. Alas, spanner in the works, or rather pane in the hand, meaning that a column of panes slipped when the roof was being glazed. I tried to catch one of them, as one does, and it sliced clean through my glove and hand, leaving an impressive trail of blood as I made for the first aid box. The glazier wagged his finger and said:"Never try to catch a pane of glass!!!" So all of you out there, please remember this for your own good.

Anyway, the hospital said I made a good job of patching it up, they insisted on an x ray to see if there was any glass in the hand, but there wasn't, so they glued it and strapped it and told me I mustn't go horse riding tomorrow, drat.

On the plus side, I just received the Tulipa 'Lilliput' I had set me heart on, so things can always get better, it just depends what one means by 'things'.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 07:05:41 PM by Maren »

Neil

• Hardy Orchid Grower
    • The Hardy Orchid Society
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2010, 07:45:28 PM »
Nasty Maren, been there done it, now I just let things break.  Hope it heals up quickly for you.
Interested in Hardy Orchids then join The Hardy Orchid Society
Wanted Hardy Orchid Seed please pm me if you have some that you can spare
Sussex, England, UK Zone 9a

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2010, 08:56:40 PM »
Oh, Maren, that could have been a truly terrible accident......you were very lucky.

Good to know that you... and we, I hope have learned a valuable lesson from that.....     If in doubt, let it drop!

I hope you are soon better.

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2010, 07:13:06 AM »
Thanks, Neil and Maggi, I feel a right pratt, but the hand is better already. ;D ;D

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2010, 11:05:24 PM »
Phew, it's done - well, Phase 2. Here are some pictures, before and after. The inside view: the rosettes are there to encourage my 'little darlings'. Then there are piccis showing the mechanisms for opening the top and side vents, all operated manually, of course.

I'm quite pleased with the result. Soon it will be filled up again. :)

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2010, 06:31:43 PM »
Here is a picture of the entire complex. You can see that the right hand side is in good repair, that's my bit. The rest reminds me of my boss who, when presented with a problem, used to say: "There are no problems, only opportunities".

There are lots of opportunities here. ;) ;) ;)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal