We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Visit to the Pleione nursery of Ian Butterfield  (Read 22505 times)

karel_t

• Pleione Wizard's Apprentice
    • The Czech Pleione Website
Re: Visit to the Pleione nursery of Ian Butterfield
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2010, 08:55:37 PM »
Yes Maren, you are definitely right. ;D ;D
Prague, Czech Republic
www.pleione.cz

Nick_the_grief

• Incomplete beginner
    • Nicks Flickr site
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2011, 10:21:39 PM »
Please don't post threads like this ... My list of one I like has just gone up by about 10 !! ;D
Nick
North Warwickshire

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2011, 10:34:13 PM »
Please don't post threads like this ... My list of one I like has just gone up by about 10 !! ;D

Sorry Nick...one of the perils of the Forum... the capacity to be driven to distraction by the fab plants we get shown ! Breathe deeply, lock up your wallet and don't look at the Forum for more than four hours a  day.... that's the most help I can give.... but once the addiction really hits, well, that's that....  ::) ::) :D
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 11:36:47 AM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2011, 01:40:04 AM »
Nick,

Even worse is when you're in a country with strong quarantine laws that mean we'll likely never see anything like that here in Australia.  :'(  Some of the oranges and yellows in the first couple of postings are just awesome.  :o  I'm not sure what my reaction would be if I visited the nursery itself.  Probably dehydration from all the crying.  ;)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2011, 04:11:08 AM »
The SRGC has a very long and distinguished history. Let's not forget or toss out the name for a new catchy one as is the trend these days.  This club seems from here to be as alive and vibrant as when I first joined years ago. Now if the The Rock Garden were to come out in gaelic.... :o

johnw  - another storm barrelling up the east coast, 15mm of rain expected here. We've dodged alot of snow this winter, the burbs have 15cm but here only 1cm that arrived  last night.

John,

Was the above supposed to be in the SRGC name change topic? ???

And if the Rock Garden were to come out in Gaelic, then none of us could read it most likely.  ;D ;D

{edit by maggi: I've moved John's post to the Name Change topic!}
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 11:47:02 AM by Maggi Young »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Nick_the_grief

• Incomplete beginner
    • Nicks Flickr site
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2011, 09:13:29 AM »
we could but we'd need to use google translate ;D

I sympathise Paul as I know one or two people who have come here to visit our chrysanth a dahlia shows and have met with the same problems  ::) I agree with your choices, of colour Some of the paler ones look good too.  I feel anothr greenhouse coming on !

John - where about are you in NS - My big sister is a Nova Scotlan by birth . Mum and dad lived there for a time during WW2 when my father was stationed near Halifax.  I've never been unfortunately but my wife and I did do the Trans canadian trip on the railway a few years ago from Vancouver to Ottowa and I have to say it felt like home.
Nick
North Warwickshire

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2011, 02:27:44 PM »
we could but we'd need to use google translate ;D

I sympathise Paul as I know one or two people who have come here to visit our chrysanth a dahlia shows and have met with the same problems  ::) I agree with your choices, of colour Some of the paler ones look good too.  I feel anothr greenhouse coming on !

John - where about are you in NS - My big sister is a Nova Scotlan by birth . Mum and dad lived there for a time during WW2 when my father was stationed near Halifax.  I've never been unfortunately but my wife and I did do the Trans canadian trip on the railway a few years ago from Vancouver to Ottowa and I have to say it felt like home.

I'm a Haligonian Nick.  Your dad would not recognize the new Hfx., it was pretty wild & wooly during WW2 (I guess being a naval city since the 1700's it's always been that way).  If you did the Trans-Canada and only got east to Ottawa then you missed the best half of the country! ;)

johnw

« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 03:37:40 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Nick_the_grief

• Incomplete beginner
    • Nicks Flickr site
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2011, 02:47:59 PM »
but we've got an excuse to come back  8)

Sorry to digress Mod ;D
Nick
North Warwickshire

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2011, 11:13:14 PM »
Nick,

As you'll learn.... we digress a lot around here.  ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2011, 02:34:27 AM »
Nick,

Even worse is when you're in a country with strong quarantine laws that mean we'll likely never see anything like that here in Australia.  :'(  Some of the oranges and yellows in the first couple of postings are just awesome.  :o  I'm not sure what my reaction would be if I visited the nursery itself.  Probably dehydration from all the crying.  ;)

Paul, we may dream of those gorgeous orange and yellow etc. Pleiones which we will never see here in Australia , but please don't cry .Norm Collins ,a local nurseryman , raised many hybrids some 20 years ago from seed he received from Ian Butterfield ,including yellows : 'Kallista' and 'Canberra'.I did not take photos when they were in flower, but just took one of a hybrid he named after me . Debra Bartlett ( you may know her ) a botanical artist painted this hybrid and gave it to me as a Christmas present . I can send you pseudobulbs of all 3 later on , when I have returned from the Nottingham Conference .
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 10:19:18 AM by Maggi Young »
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2011, 09:04:13 AM »
Paul, we may dream of those gorgeous orange and yellow etc. Pleiones which we will never see here in Australia , but please don't cry .Norm Collins ,a local nurseryman , raised many hybrids some 20 years ago from seed he received from Ian Butterfield .including yellows : 'Kallista' and 'Canberra'.I did not take photos when they were in flower, but just took one of a hybrid he named after me . Debra Bartlett ( you may know her ) a botanical artist painted this hybrid and gave it to me as a Christmas present . I can send you pseudobulbs of all 3 later on, when I have returned from the Nottingham Conference.]

Otto,

Thank you!!  That would be brilliant, as long as you have enough to spare.  I didn't know there was a 'Canberra' either, and being as I live there that would be cool as well.  8)  Thanks heaps.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

karel_t

« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2011, 05:17:59 PM »
Visited Ian's glasshouse last Monday. As every year it was amazing private show of colours and flowers.
Here are a few photos. Several of these plants flowering for the first time.
K.
Prague, Czech Republic
www.pleione.cz

karel_t

« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2011, 05:20:47 PM »
... and more ...
Prague, Czech Republic
www.pleione.cz

Pieter

« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2011, 09:33:05 PM »
There are some real jewels in there.

Thanks for sharing this Karel.

Greetings

Pieter
Pieter
Oedelem, Belgium

goofy

« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2011, 03:09:47 PM »

Paul, we may dream of those gorgeous orange and yellow etc. Pleiones which we will never see here in Australia , but please don't cry .Norm Collins ,a local nurseryman , raised many hybrids some 20 years ago from seed he received from Ian Butterfield ,including yellows : 'Kallista' and 'Canberra'.I did not take photos when they were in flower, but just took one of a hybrid he named after me . Debra Bartlett ( you may know her ) a botanical artist painted this hybrid and gave it to me as a Christmas present . I can send you pseudobulbs of all 3 later on , when I have returned from the Nottingham Conference .

hello Otto,
I just found this posting with mentioned OZ made hybrids.

unfortunately I cannot find the mentioned Hybrids in the RHS list.
Did the person FORGOT to register his work?

would love to get some bulbils :)

cheers

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal