We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Dormancy in autumn flowering pleiones  (Read 1219 times)

SteveC2

Dormancy in autumn flowering pleiones
« on: August 17, 2010, 07:09:45 PM »
Hello all.  This is my first posting on any forum and I will start by apologising if it’s all been covered before, but I couldn’t find my answer in the “Search”.  So here I go.
Do autumn flowering pleiones really ever go dormant?  I’ve got P. saxicola in bud with new roots clearly visible beneath the shoot and disappearing into the moss.  P. praecox and P. Confirmation are both losing their leaves, but have new shoots appearing at a rapid rate.  P. maculata is still growing away, but then I would expect it to be last to flower.  So where’s the problem you might ask? 
They all grow in mini pond baskets with perforated sides and very healthy roots are appearing through these holes.  The substrate is sphagnum moss mixed with chunky bark, but it’s two years old now, starting to deteriorate, and I was wondering if it was time for a change?  The question is when to do it?

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
Re: Dormancy in autumn flowering pleiones
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 10:24:59 PM »
Hi Steve and welcome.

I agree, knowing when to re-pot autumn flowering pleiones can be a bit of a problem. I tend to do mine at the same time as the spring flowering ones. I find that at they time they may have quite a solid root ball, but most of the roots are dead. So that appears to be a good time.

Sometimes if I'm not sure I just to take a look. I know pleione roots are very brittle and easily damaged so great care and a gentle touch are required. I turn the pot over in my hand with the plant resting in it upside down, the leaves poking through my fingers. Then I gently remove the pot. A little poking soon reveals the state of the roots. If there are lots of live ones I leave well alone and just replace the pot. Otherwise I re-pot. It works for me, but may not for others. Good luck. :)
Maren in Marlow, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom - Zone 8

http://www.heritageorchids.co.uk/

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Dormancy in autumn flowering pleiones
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 10:31:07 PM »
Welcome , Steve!

This question of semi-permanent root growth is a tricky one for other plants, too. for instance, some of the Crocus and Narcissus barely stop at all..even some fritillaries hardly seem to pause for breath before sending out noew roots. Re-potting these plants can be a nerve-wracking business as one tries to get the job done without damaging the roots.
 As Maren says, keeping an eye on the pots and trying to catch them at a stage when the main growth is just going over is as good a time as any. Good luck!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal