We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Mites on Pleiones  (Read 1231 times)

Tony Garthwaite

Mites on Pleiones
« on: December 30, 2012, 09:33:23 PM »
This year I've lost about half my Pleiones. I blamed it on a late frost (-9C) just after they had started to grow roots. The new leaves rotted close to the bulb and that was that. "Too much water!" I hear you say, but I suspected too little water at the time! However, on begining to inspect the surviving bulbs I havve found dozens of mites eating into the bulb. They do not look like any picture of Brevipalpus or its description but I'd be pleased to hear any obsevations on them!!
The photo should give you an idea!

Alex

• Oxford, U.K.
Re: Mites on Pleiones
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 11:35:54 PM »
Hi Tony,

My feeling is that whatever these are, they are likely to be secondary to the damage, and feeding on the dead tissue, rather than a primary cause; I guess that was the freezing. As for what they are, perhaps not mites but I am unsure what - sciarid fly larvae maybe.

I hope this year brings better growing for you.

Alex

Tony Garthwaite

Re: Mites on Pleiones
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 08:53:41 PM »
Hi Alex,
Sciarid fly larvae definitely not however, in looking for what your suggestion looked like, I googled 'Mites' and came up with this photo from an American Red Compost Worms website! Looks familiar but they didn't know which mite it was!

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal