We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: tough hybrid cyps  (Read 2064 times)

robsorchids

tough hybrid cyps
« on: November 25, 2008, 06:16:32 PM »
i have just received a few allready potted cypripedium hybrids (micheal, princess and phillip)

im very tempted to pot them in pumice, but as im short on the stuff i hoped that being hybrids they are a bit tougher than species and so id like to be able to leave them in the pots they arrived in. seems a nice gritty mix, a bit to much OM for my liking.

i realise princess is a hybrid involving a difficult species, but perhaps having reginae in its parentage will make it tougher?

i also recived a calanthe reflexa that has flower buds! thats very late for them (or early?)

thanks
rob

Stephen Vella

Re: tough hybrid cyps
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 09:58:03 PM »
Hello Rob,

I havnt come across Princess and have only heard that Svante Malmgren who developed this cultivar says as beautiful as it is it takes a long time to flower, so dont hold your breath. It does look like reginae.

Planting cyps in washed river sand and perlite is a safe mix to use, feed regulary. The hybrids can grow tollerate some organics but it means you will have to repot them every 2 or 3 years as the mix tends to lose its fluffyness and porosity and you wont have to feed them as much. The hybrids are so hardy that it is recomented to plant them out into a woodland garden.

Calanthe flower in late spring, very early for you.

Good luck with your Cyps
Stephen Vella, Blue Mountains, Australia,zone 8.

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 10:19:11 AM »
Princess is developed by Carson Whitlow and gets very low grade by Malmsten since it is hard to flower. At least the way he is growing it.
Here is the link to his statement.
http://www.lidaforsgarden.com/Orchids/cypripedium_eng_hybrid.htm
I think that others have stated that they grow it well but not able to flower it so there is a challenge: will You be one of the few to flower it?

Kind regards
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Stephen Vella

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 10:49:34 PM »
Rob do post a pic of Princess when it flowers, Im sure there will be some interest in this one.

Thanks for the correction Joakim

Stephen

Stephen Vella, Blue Mountains, Australia,zone 8.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal