We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Hyacinthus spp. needed!  (Read 667 times)

hannah_rh_

Hyacinthus spp. needed!
« on: January 21, 2023, 02:52:27 PM »
Hello,

My name is Hannah Hall and I am PhD student at the University of Reading and RHS. I am working on the taxonomy and evolution of the Mediterranean Asparagaceae subtribe, Hyacinthinae which includes genera such as Scilla, Muscari, Hyacinthoides and Hyacinthus.

Upon reviewing what species i have got currently sampled I have noticed a gap in the genus Hyacinthus, especially the species H. transcaspicus and H. litwinovii. These have proved difficult to source but my preliminary results are showing that something interesting may be happening with the placement if these species as potentially not within the Hyacinthus genus. Therefore, I am very keen to source more material and look into this further!

I hope that someone on this forum may be able to help!

If you are interested to know more about the work I do, please feel free to watch this BSBI talk I did back late last year:

Email: hannah.hall@pgr.reading.ac.uk

ArnoldT

Re: Hyacinthus spp. needed!
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2023, 08:17:53 PM »
Hannah

You may have a look at the Pacific Bulb Forum for a good place to post your inquiry.  We have many accomplished collectors.

https://www.pacificbulbsociety.org/pbsforum/index.php

Arnold
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

MarcR

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2023, 08:23:49 PM »
Hannah,

Hyacinthus transcaspicus is offered by
https://www.rareplants.co.uk/product/hyacinthus-transcaspicus/
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F -9.4C.  Rainfall 50" 110 cm + but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight. Soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus. 
Oregon- where Dallas is NNW of Phoenix

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2023, 09:20:19 PM »
Welcome to the Forum Hannah, and congratulations on your PhD work :)

I'm growing two collections of H. litwinovii (although perhaps from the same population), as follows:
JJA 0.572.500 'Iran, Khorasan, W of Bojnurd' (seed ex Jim Archibald)
KV49 'Iran, W of Bojnurd' (seed ex Kurt Vickery)
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Karaba

• My 2015-2016 seed list (in french)
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2023, 06:10:03 PM »
No wild Hyacinthus to propose. Just thank you for this very interesting speech. After the Brett Wilson 's speech on the taxonomy of Tulips, an other one on Scilla 's phylogeny. This study will maybe be the start of Speta's names and naming peruvian squill as Oncostema peruviana
Yvain Dubois - Isère, France (Zone 7b)  _ south east Lyon

hannah_rh_

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2023, 04:37:42 PM »
Thank you all for your responses! It has been very helpful  :)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal