We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: House Orchids 2022  (Read 3063 times)

GordonT

House Orchids 2022
« on: January 04, 2022, 12:21:57 AM »
Happy New Year, everyone! We wish you a bountiful year ahead, full of botanical delights.

This recently acquired seedling of Cycnoches warscewiczii (isn't that a mouthful? "Sick-no-keys var-se-veitch-ee-eye") started off our year, with a sole male flower, filling the sun room with a scent like Pineapple, Vanilla and Guava). It isn't hard to see why members of this genus are known as the "Swan Orchids"

With any luck, 2022 will see this plant grow large with food, and produce a chain of blooms in autumn (don't know if we'll be able to handle the fragrance of multiple blooms!). Until then, we are happy to enjoy its first effort.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 12:36:20 AM by GordonT »
Southwestern Nova Scotia,
Zone 6B or above , depending on the year.

Nik

Re: House Orchids 2022
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2022, 07:53:47 PM »
That is so elegant looking, Gordon!

Here is my intermediate orange Cymbidium today. It is underperforming this winter. Only 3 spikes with 14 buds total. A bit disappointing.. it produced several spikes during the summer outside and those always fail to develop properly. I imagine most energy went into those.
I have very hard time capturing the velvety nature of the lip with my phone.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 08:12:26 PM by Nik »

GordonT

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2022, 12:47:30 PM »
Nik, I like the colour of your Cymbidium. Sadly, Cymbidiums are not commonly available here anymore. There was a time when you could count on seeing a plant or two for sale at certain supermarkets, or big box hardware stores, but those days are long gone.

You might want to try adding some epsom salts into your watering for the plants. Apparently Cymbidiums and Phalaenopsis can benefit from the added magnesium, resulting in higher bud counts on flower spikes.

Nik

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2022, 01:50:01 PM »

You might want to try adding some epsom salts into your watering for the plants. Apparently Cymbidiums and Phalaenopsis can benefit from the added magnesium, resulting in higher bud counts on flower spikes.
Gordon, I think you must be right. This year I did not use any magnesium sulfate (in contrast to previous years). Interestingly, only my intermediate Cymbidiums appear to be affected by it. My standard ones are doing great… for whatever reason. Here is an example with one of the spikes of my standard yellow hybrid. It is almost 1 m long and has 18 buds which are about to start opening. I will also post a picture when they fully open.

cristoff

• Pleione Noob
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2022, 04:54:13 PM »
Wow, great blooms everyone. Great start to the year.

I have here a first time blooming of Phragmipedium Acker's Lovely. You can see the heavy influence of schlimii in this cross.
A good candidate for anyone looking to try growing Phrags as the plants are quite small and don't take up a lot of room.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 04:56:02 PM by cristoff »

Nik

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2022, 04:36:00 PM »
Almost there. On a very cold winter day, they are like a spot of sunshine inside the room.

GordonT

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2022, 11:14:58 PM »
Nik, I envy your cymbidiums. When we first returned to Nova Scotia, we could find them seasonally at a few local sources (supermarket 15 minutes away, and a big box hardware store about two hours drive from home). Neither source carries them anymore, and specialized mail order nurseries rarely have them in stock due to their size. It is nice to see your plants blooming in the dead of winter!

Nik

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2022, 02:03:02 PM »
Same here, Gordon. All of my cymbidiums were purchased from grocery stores many years ago. I have not seen them anywhere in the recent past. I love that they bloom this time of year. January and February is the peak for our conditions. And they last about 3 months if not cut (about a month and a half when cut) to cheer us up during the coldest time of the winter.

Nik

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2022, 10:19:53 PM »
Finally fully opened. One more spike with 17 buds about to start opening on this one.

Nik

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2022, 01:38:42 PM »
My giant green one is also beginning to put on a good show.

Nik

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2022, 06:13:22 PM »
I accidentally broke one spike near the top. Salvaged as a cut flower without stem on the dining table.

Nik

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2022, 06:27:53 PM »
This one is almost in full display now. Individual flowers are more than 10 cm wide.

Nik

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2022, 09:47:54 PM »
Not the best winter in orchid blooming indoors, but not bad either…

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2022, 12:44:42 PM »
Not the best winter in orchid blooming indoors, but not bad either…

Not bad at all!!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2022, 01:53:19 PM »
Fine plants Nik, beautifully grown 8)
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal