We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Pleione 2020  (Read 9240 times)

Beza

Re: Pleione 2020
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2020, 05:35:25 PM »
Thank you Maggi, though those flowers are not really credit to my efforts yet, as the only "work" I had to do is to store them in the fridge over winter and pot them up again :)
Fingers crossed I can get them into the next year, and blooming again!

Tim Harberd

« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2020, 04:46:38 PM »
Couldn't resist posting the last Pleione on my flowering bench.

Three weeks after I first showed it!

P. Stromboli 'Senorita'

Tim DH

Bart

« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2020, 07:58:46 PM »

Pleione Semeru

Pleione Semeru

Pleione Semeru

New in the collection and pleased to see 2 flowers. They appear to be opening quite pale and gain a lot of pink in 3 to 4 days. I like the flowers, but they don't seem very distinct.

And an early clone of Wharfdale , probably Pine Warbler because I don't know of any others. But this pot is really early and others flower in December or even January. Because of this it is perhaps my favorite autumn flowerer (that I know of)

If  any of the growers/ hybridisers have pictures of new autumn flowering crosses I'd be delighted to see them. Any chance of posting some pics here for the Facebook-shy amongst us?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 09:02:54 PM by Maggi Young »

Tim Harberd

« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2020, 03:00:53 PM »
Hi Bart,
     Those Semeru are nice......
     What happened with your Aubiose experiment?

Tim DH
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 03:02:51 PM by Tim Harberd »

Bart

« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2020, 12:47:34 PM »
Hi Tim,
Only just seen your post. It prompted me to go and have a look. I made some pictures of the results:

As you can see root development has been good, the Aubiose has not compacted or rotted, and more importantly I did not see any woodlice lurking in the medium. Woodlice pose a massive threat to the bulbs, they hollow the biggest ones out from below and when it comes to harvesting I find myself with an empty shell.
I did not feed these anything in particular. I think with additional bonemeal the bulbs might have been bigger. I'll expand the experiment coming season, since I still find it hard to source moss and orchid bark in reasonable and affordable quantities.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 02:05:12 PM by Maggi Young »

Bart

« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2020, 12:51:42 PM »
And a few more autumn flowerers from a couple of weeks ago

P. Liz Shan 'Pretty Girl'

P. Confirmation

P. Slender Loris
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 02:04:15 PM by Maggi Young »

Tim Harberd

« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2020, 08:52:59 PM »
Thanks for the compost photos Bart... Looks interesting... And there is a supplier near me.

I think you've mentioned Woodlouse problems before... This year the lupin seedlings which were on the end of my Pleione staging had their leaves chewed , but once again the Pleionies were untouched... Digging around I find there are 45 species of British woodlouse... So maybe I'm just lucky with my garden's resident species!

Tim DH

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal