We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Pleione diseases  (Read 2385 times)

svlarsen

Pleione diseases
« on: May 29, 2018, 05:39:51 PM »
I have had my pleiones for 7-8 years already and have never seen such a leaf before. Should I start worrying? There is another leaf with the same symptoms. The bulbs are in one pot but not next to each other. The rest of the leaves in the pot are OK. Is it some parasite or a virus?  Has anybody faced the same problem?

LarsB

• The Fearless One
Re: Pleione diseases
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 07:12:59 AM »
Not something i'v eseen before, but it looks parasitic.
Lars in Roedovre, Denmark.

svlarsen

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 03:56:41 PM »
Thanks for your response, Lars. I just removed them for not to think every day what it can be. Now I have another problem - small spots on the leaves tips. They grow biggger with time but never cover the whole leaf. Usually they appear at the end of July. First I thought it was because of the Danish cold summers with everyday rains, high humidity and lack of the sun. But this year they appeared again, on all my pleiones. Does anyone have an idea of what it can be? I have tried several fungicides but with no result at all. 

sjusovare

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 05:57:04 AM »
looks bacterial to me, probably too wet at some point
Julien

Darren

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 08:00:14 AM »
Thanks for your response, Lars. I just removed them for not to think every day what it can be. Now I have another problem - small spots on the leaves tips. They grow biggger with time but never cover the whole leaf. Usually they appear at the end of July. First I thought it was because of the Danish cold summers with everyday rains, high humidity and lack of the sun. But this year they appeared again, on all my pleiones. Does anyone have an idea of what it can be? I have tried several fungicides but with no result at all.

This is leaf-tip die back I think. Not a disease but a physiological disorder and usually indicates a problem at the roots, either too much or too little moisture. Nothing much you can do this season but maybe try a different potting medium next season?
Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

svlarsen

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 04:05:49 PM »
Thanks alot! We had the most severe draft this year - three months without rains and with temperatures just under +30. Of course, I watered my pleiones every day and even twice a day. So, I think I just overwatered them. I will be more attentive next year and check the growing medium first before watering.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal