We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Compost for pleiones.  (Read 2971 times)

JohnSRGCF2008

Compost for pleiones.
« on: February 15, 2008, 06:18:55 PM »
Hi, My first post here and I would like to ask if anyone can recommend a ready made compost from the garden centre for pleiones please.

derekb

Re: Compost for pleiones.
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 06:44:04 PM »
Hi John,
          If you go to the Pleione Page on this forum you will find an entry by Paul on compost and you will not get any better advice than his.

Hope this helps and good luck with them,  Derek
Sunny Mid Sussex

Paul Cumbleton

• Pleione Wizard
    • The Pleione Website
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 06:57:38 PM »
Hi John,
I've never actually tried any "ready-made" composts that you might buy at the garden centre. I'm guessing most composts made for general use would have too much fertiliser in them and may not drain well enough. If you do decide to try something I would go for a peat-based seed compost as this would have less fertiliser. Another option if you don't have too many pots (which would make it expensive) is to buy bags of moss and use pure moss. Many garden centres sell moss, used normally for lining hanging baskets. They certainly grow well in this. I know some people have success just using pure peat but I haven't tried this much myself.

If you find something that works well let us all know!

Cheers

Paul
Paul Cumbleton, Somerton, Somerset, U.K. Zone 8b (U.S. system plant hardiness zone)

I occasionally sell spare plants on ebay -
see http://ebay.eu/1n3uCgm

http://www.pleione.info/

lkelly

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 11:50:09 AM »
Hi Paul,

I've finally sorted out access to the forums

I've been doing a bit of experimenting the past few years with pre-made composts as I had a few issues with my own mix.

The one that most of the bulbs I've tried with it seem to like is a continental orchid seedling mix. Basically bark, perlite and sponge, I then add a bit of moss and mix it up. They seem to do OK in it and it's very free draining.

Thanks
Lucas

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal