We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Pyrethrins for Brevipalpus  (Read 917 times)

Alex

• Oxford, U.K.
Pyrethrins for Brevipalpus
« on: June 26, 2014, 09:31:25 PM »
A quick one which I'd be grateful for any knowledge on...

I like to spray my Pleiones prophylactically for Brevipalpus a few times each year, and have used Bifenthrin in the past as per Paul Cumbleton's website. Recently, I've had trouble getting hold of it, and instead have acquired a few spray containers of Bug Clear, which contains a pyrethrin (it doesn't specify which one) and is sold as being effective against Red Spider Mite. Does the panel think this will also be effective against Brevipalpus? It seems to have some acaricidal properties, but it is not clear if this would extend to Brev. I have looked online, but there is very little about it. I know I could sidestep the issue by using Neem Oil etc., but nonetheless I would like to know whether this Bug Clear would work.

Thanks for any help.

Alex

Paul Cumbleton

• Pleione Wizard
    • The Pleione Website
Re: Pyrethrins for Brevipalpus
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 09:37:00 AM »
Hi Alex,
My guess is that it would have some effect but just how effective it is I suppose you will only know by trying it and seeing. Pyrethrins are natural plant extracts whereas pyrethroids (such as the Bifenthrin) are similar but synthetic chemicals developed from them. The synthetic types tend to be more potent than the natural ones, so while the Bug Clear may have some effect, it may not be as effective as the bifenthrin was.

I still find that oil-based pesticides are the simplest and most effective treatment for Brevipalpus. They are also safer to use and as they work by smothering, the pests can't develop resistance to them.

Paul
Paul Cumbleton, Somerton, Somerset, U.K. Zone 8b (U.S. system plant hardiness zone)

I occasionally sell spare plants on ebay -
see http://ebay.eu/1n3uCgm

http://www.pleione.info/

Alex

• Oxford, U.K.
Re: Pyrethrins for Brevipalpus
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 09:13:23 PM »
Hi Paul,

Thanks for this. Since it's not clear whether the pyrethrin will work, I had better try a spraying oil - and of course no resistance as you say.

Cheers,

Alex

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal