We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: PLEIONES -2008 (New Forum section)  (Read 75316 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
PLEIONES -2008 (New Forum section)
« on: January 09, 2008, 08:24:33 PM »
Hello, Folks,  You will see that the earth has been moving for me once more as I transfer all the Forums Pleione related pages to this new special section. 
Most importantly, this will give Paul, "Mr Pleione" Cumbleton a great place for all his and your pleione chat, pix, queries, etc. as an adjunct to his site http://www.pleione.info/ 
 Enjoy!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 08:45:48 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
Re: Pleiones -2008 New Forum section
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 09:16:23 PM »
Thanks Maggi !
At least there's no more need for us Pleione fans to be jealous of our very dear forum friends stricken by the white feaver !  ;D
I'm sure we'll try and make it a great thread.
And thanks again for the hard work   :-*
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Paul Cumbleton

• Pleione Wizard
    • The Pleione Website
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 07:08:38 AM »
A big thank you to Maggi and the SRGC for making Pleiones a separate section! I had long wanted to have a forum for Pleiones on my Pleione Website (http://www.pleione.info) but never had the time to get to grips with the software that would need to have been added. When I saw what an active discussion there already was about Pleiones here on the SRGC site it seemed to me I would only have been duplicating what already exists. So I asked if the Pleione discussions could be pulled together in this new major section and then simply provide a link to here from my website. Now this is done I hope we can even more easily and enthusiastically share our pictures, ask our questions and discuss this beautiful genus.
Paul Cumbleton, Somerton, Somerset, U.K. Zone 8b (U.S. system plant hardiness zone)

I occasionally sell spare plants on ebay -
see http://ebay.eu/1n3uCgm

http://www.pleione.info/

johanneshoeller

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 05:20:12 PM »
And my first question because the season will soon start: What should we use against brevipalpus?
Hans
from Austria
Hans Hoeller passed away, after a long illness, on 5th November 2010. His posts remain as a memory of him.

Paul Cumbleton

• Pleione Wizard
    • The Pleione Website
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 09:43:53 PM »
Hello Hans,
The most easily available treatment is any pesticide that contains the chemical Bifenthrin. This kills the adults though is not effective against the eggs, so after spraying you have to wait a while for any eggs to hatch then spray again - hoping that you have killed the young ones before they lay any more eggs. I have found the best thing is to spray 3 times at about 2 week intervals, starting about the end of June.

But better still is to dip the dormant bulbs completely in "Spraying Oil". This kills both adults and eggs by blocking their breathing pores and so suffocating them. It is a very fine petroleum oil. The one I use is called "Hortichem Spraying Oil" although other companies make similar products. Although these are made for the professional horticulture market, they are unusual in that they can legally be bought and used by amateurs. This is because their mode of action is not as a poison and so they are not classified as only for professional use. But it does still mean that you need to buy them from professional horticultural/Agricultural suppliers.

Another effective treatment is Neem Oil for those countries where this is allowed. This also seems to kill both adults and eggs.

Finally I would like to say that I believe all pleione collections should be treated against Brevipalpus EVERY YEAR - even if you believe you have no mites present. I have found in the past that if you stop treating every year, they soon build up again to damaging levels. But treated every year, the bulbs grow vigorously and the mites are not a problem - so don't let this pest put you off growing these lovely plants!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 09:56:43 PM by Ian Y »
Paul Cumbleton, Somerton, Somerset, U.K. Zone 8b (U.S. system plant hardiness zone)

johanneshoeller

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 12:02:03 PM »
Hello Paul,

many thanks for your very important informations. I think this is in the interest of all who grow Pleiones.

Best wishes
Hans
Hans Hoeller passed away, after a long illness, on 5th November 2010. His posts remain as a memory of him.

Andrew

• Trainee Croconut
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 04:06:44 PM »
But better still is to dip the dormant bulbs completely in "Spraying Oil". The one I use is called "Hortichem Spraying Oil" although other companies make similar products.

Another effective treatment is Neem Oil for those countries where this is allowed.

Has anyone done a search and found suitable suppliers for either of these ?
Andrew, North Cambridgeshire, England.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 06:58:50 PM »
Neem Oil

General info.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neem_oil

Supplier.
http://www.enaissance.co.uk/acatalog/Carrier_Oils_N_to_Z.html?gclid=CMOAzp_u7pACFQ_tlAodyQXaqQ

Easy to find products containing Neem Oil but more difficult to find suppliers of the oil itself.

Spraying Oil
http://www.jfcmonro.co.uk/showdetails.asp?id=59  But NOTE will only supply to trained users!

I did a fairly extensive Google search but was unable to find suppliers in UK which may mean it is a 'guarded substance' If you have contacts in the agricultural or Horticultural industries you may glean more, or perhaps 'borrow' some! It seems to be freely available in the States though. Perhaps Paul will say more.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Simon Elcomb

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2008, 10:44:45 PM »
Hi - this is my first posting on any forum!
I am really delighted to have discovered you all and look forward to sharing pleione experiences with you all!

At the and of last year I was given the remains of a much negelcted pleione collection. Many of the label names I knew but I cannot find any or much meaningful information about "volcanello" or "papillon". Unfortunately I doubt if they will flower this year as they are rather small. I will post a photo when they do!
Any ideas?

Oops! I have just been out to the greenhouse this morning and realized that I already have "volcanello" (thank you Ian Butterfield)- it is "voltalinii" that I need information about!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 11:37:18 AM by Simon Elcomb »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2008, 11:14:09 AM »
A very warm welcome to you, Simon.  Great to hear that you have given a new home to a pleione collection ...I am sure it will reward you with years of interest as you work with it.

Paul Cumbleton

• Pleione Wizard
    • The Pleione Website
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2008, 01:41:08 PM »
Hi Simon,
Pleione voltalinii is a disputed name for what most of us would call Pleione pleionoides. If you can stand reading about taxonomy, the "Taxonomy" page on my website at www.pleione.info will give you more details.

"Papillon" is actually a cultivar name for a form of P. bulbocodioides, so the full name should be written Pleione bulbocodioides 'Papillon' This form of P. bulbocodioides flowers quite late in the season.

P. Volcanello is a hybrid between P. bulbocodioides and P. Soufriere, made by Ian Butterfield and registered with that name by him in 1987

Going back to the chemicals questions, I believe Neem is now officially not allowed to be used as a pesticide in the uk which is why no-one sells it for that purpose any more. In the UK, the only chemicals that can be applied as pesticides are those which have been thoroughly tested and passed the approvals process to become an "Approved" product. Strictly interpreted, this means that all the many "home remedies" used by people against pests and diseases are illegal. I know, it's daft, but that's where things stand. As for the Spraying Oil, it can be hard to get. The suppliers who supply the professional trade are used to their products being legal only for professional use by those who have had the necessary training and passed the relevant exams. So if just one of their products happens to be OK for amateurs too, it is often too much bother for them to change their systems to allow supply of small amounts to amateurs. If you cannot find a sympathetic supplier then you are left with only the other treatment - Bifenthrin, which gladly is easily avilable in any garden centre under a variety of product names.

Simon Elcomb

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2008, 06:25:26 PM »
Thanks very much for that Paul! I am stupid as your site is one of my favourites and I was delighted with the chunii I have just recieved from you - many thanks!
I have read the taxonomy page before and should have remembered! (Am still confused about it all but it would appear I am in good company!)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2008, 11:39:23 AM »
The posts formerly in this thread which were not specifically Pleione related have been moved to the General Forum.... Moan, moan, moan section!
Happy Days!
M

dragonfly8

Pleione
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2008, 06:14:48 PM »
Hi, can anybody tell me when is the best time to repot Pleione, after their winter dormant stage.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks
ladybird6
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 09:03:45 PM by Maggi Young »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
Re: Pleione
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2008, 09:14:41 PM »
Hello, Ladybird/dragonfly (nice to welcome a bi-generic hybrid to the Forum! ;)
We used to repot our pleiones as they started to make growth, potting them in a very mossy compost. We did not give them any water untill the roots were well into growth, though and, with pleiones, leaf growth and flowers do not always mean that there is also root growth. or most they flower and makeget their leaves well extended before there is vert much in the way of roots. So keeping the compost very slighty moist, to avoid dessicating the pseudobulbs is the best best until you are sure there are enough roots to be able to take up water. I would have a look around Paul's website for more up to date info....

Cheers,
Maggi

I am merging this with the other pleine page...M
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 06:30:43 PM by Maggi Young »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal