We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Pleiones -- Paul Cumbleton's hybrids  (Read 80969 times)

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
Re: Pleiones -- Paul Cumbleton's hybrids
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2010, 09:24:28 AM »
Paul, thanks so much for taking the time to provide all this invaluable information on Pleione and congratulations on your success. 
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2010, 09:40:44 AM »
Paul, what a wonderful new crop. I think my favourites are Bonobo and Muriel. A large potful of either would make me very happy for a very long time. Thanks for showing them to us.
Maren in Marlow, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom - Zone 8

http://www.heritageorchids.co.uk/

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2010, 10:00:46 AM »
A stunning series Paul !!  :o :o
You seem to have been a busy boy !  ;)

My favourites are Muriel - Gorilla 1 and Chimpanzee 2, but like Eric I' d be glad to have any one of them in my collection...  :-\
Very much looking forward to a "list" of "spares" sometime in future ??  :D :D
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Paul Cumbleton

• Pleione Wizard
    • The Pleione Website
« Reply #63 on: March 25, 2010, 10:38:49 AM »
Thanks for comments everyone, I'm glad you like these plants. I also know that showing people new plants can create a demand for them that cannot be met. I have perhaps 2 or at the most 3 bulbs of each of the selected forms shown, so it will be a few years before I can build up enough stock to release. The alternative is to keep new hybrids "secret" and never show their pictures until I have enough to make some available. I'm hoping most of you prefer to see things as they occur, at least it shows what new things are under development that one day you will be able to get.

More positively, one or two of my earlier hybrids are coming along well. I anticipate that I will have enough of "P. Snow Monkey" to release either next season or if not then definitely the season after.

Alex, just to add that I do not have a list of bulbs for sale every year. I only do a list when I have enough spares of things - which is likely to be only every 3 or 4 years perhaps.

Paul
Paul Cumbleton, Somerton, Somerset, U.K. Zone 8b (U.S. system plant hardiness zone)

I occasionally sell spare plants on ebay -
see http://ebay.eu/1n3uCgm

http://www.pleione.info/

Paul Cumbleton

• Pleione Wizard
    • The Pleione Website
« Reply #64 on: March 25, 2010, 10:41:28 AM »
I forgot to add that "Muriel" is also doing well and I should be able to release some soon after Snow Monkey. These will be mixed clones, not the selected one I showed below which I currently only have the one bulb of, but they are all good plants

Paul
Paul Cumbleton, Somerton, Somerset, U.K. Zone 8b (U.S. system plant hardiness zone)

Luc Gilgemyn

« Reply #65 on: March 25, 2010, 10:44:45 AM »
We appreciate your comments Paul, and we definitely want to see your beauties as soon as they see the light...  ;D ;D

And as you know, we are very patient people...  ::) ::) :-X
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

karel_t

• Pleione Wizard's Apprentice
    • The Czech Pleione Website
« Reply #66 on: March 25, 2010, 10:55:19 AM »
Paul - amazing plants  :o :o :o - congratulation!
My favourites are Bonobo, Chimpanzee (2) and Muriel.
Prague, Czech Republic
www.pleione.cz

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #67 on: March 25, 2010, 10:56:23 AM »
Paul, what a wonderful new crop. I think my favourites are Bonobo and Muriel. A large potful of either would make me very happy for a very long time. Thanks for showing them to us.
You and I seem to have the same taste, Maren... those were my favourites, too!
congratulations are in order for you and for Colin for these smart new flowers, Paul.

Some folks do seem not to realise that stocks can take a long time to build up, whether in Pleione or, perhaps, Erythronium, but most of us do understand those limitations and really enjoy seeing what the future may bring.... or even just delight in the photos .....  :)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Sam

« Reply #68 on: March 25, 2010, 08:25:15 PM »
veru beautiful hybrids Paul !
My vavorite are Bonobo, Muriel and Chimpanzee
Sam
north of France(border with Belgium)

Paul Cumbleton

• Pleione Wizard
    • The Pleione Website
« Reply #69 on: April 05, 2010, 12:01:16 PM »
Hi everyone, a few more new hybrids to share with you.

First is P. Angwatibo (P. aurita x P. Adams). Most seedlings of this cross came out a dark mauve but one or two nice reds also emerged like the one shown. Having a good orange lip makes this one especially nice I think.

Next is my re-make of P. Edgecombe (P. aurita x P. forrestii). This cross has produced some of the most interesting colours of any of the hybrids and many of the seedlings are very attractive. Sadly though, this cross is also known for often growing weakly and being particularly susceptible to “Black Pit” disease. I will enjoy it while it lasts!

P. Guenon is a cross between P. Erebus and P. Quizapu and makes some pretty colour combinations.

Next up is P. Siamang which is P. yunnanensis x P. albiflora. Nothing special colour-wise but still attractive for me.

Then comes one of my re-makes of P. Glacier Peak (P. formosana x P. grandiflora)

Finally a new autumn-flowering hybrid, P. Slender Loris. This flowers around November time and is P. Ueli Wackernagel x P. praecox

Paul

Slug Killer

• Koolplants
« Reply #70 on: April 05, 2010, 01:38:23 PM »
Hi Paul

Some stunners there! P. Slender Loris is very nice but my favourite has to be P. Angwatibo for the colours and the shape.

It's a shame about P. Edgecombe not growing to well but hopefully I'll have my first to flower this year, fingers crossed. Might redo the cross myself of this one as I've saved some pollen.

David

luis

« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2010, 03:20:38 PM »
Uau they are all fantastic! So so beautiful hibrids... P. Angwatibo is very very nice! Congratulations Paul!

karel_t

• Pleione Wizard's Apprentice
    • The Czech Pleione Website
« Reply #72 on: April 05, 2010, 05:40:44 PM »
Hi Paul.
I agree with David - P. Angwatibo is amazing, but this clone of re-make of Edgecombe is also very pretty. I made my own re-make of Edgecombe last year, so I'm looking forward to result  ;).
Karel.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 05:48:34 PM by karel_t »
Prague, Czech Republic
www.pleione.cz

Luc Gilgemyn

« Reply #73 on: April 05, 2010, 06:54:22 PM »
Great work Paul !!!  More exquisite Pleione !

All are truly beautiful and you definitely cannot NOT like Angwatibo - however the pink/yellow combination in the petals of Guenon is particularly appealing to me !!

Thanks again for sharing these... You're making us all very anxious to see another list of "spares" appear ...  ;)
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Pete Clarke

« Reply #74 on: April 05, 2010, 07:59:53 PM »
Another lot of great crosses & pics Paul. Keep them coming please.

Have you got a picture of Indri? I have this coming along from my own cross & I am eager to know what they are like.

Pete.
Birmingham, Midlands, UK

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal