We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Pleiones -- Paul Cumbleton's hybrids  (Read 80951 times)

luis

Re: Pleiones -- Paul Cumbleton's hybrids
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2010, 02:54:06 PM »
Ok, but now is January and some of the flower buds are slowly taking out... it's now the time to give whater or i wait? ???

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2010, 03:37:16 PM »
Luis, when we grew Pleiones here in NE Scotland, we never gave water until the flowers were almost over and the leaves beginning to emerge. We would not water now.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 02:07:43 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

luis

« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2010, 08:16:36 PM »
Ok, thank you very much! I will wait. ;)

Eric Locke

« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2010, 10:23:45 PM »
Ok, but now is January and some of the flower buds are slowly taking out... it's now the time to give whater or i wait? ???

Hi Lius

I find it best to start watering only if the pans start to get very dry, which usually means around late Feb.
Only give enough water to slightly dampen the pans though and keep like this untill the leaves are well into growth which is around mid Apr.

Eric

luis

« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2010, 01:09:13 PM »
My pleione bulbs are drying, but the flower buds are very good looking.  :) I will post my pleione photos... it's a promiss!!!

luis

« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2010, 01:51:59 PM »
Can anyone tell me how i post photos? ???

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2010, 02:03:50 PM »
Hi, Luis, all  you need to know about posting photos is written here :
http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=65.msg132875;topicseen#msg132875  :)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Casalima

• Not lost in translation
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2010, 02:27:47 PM »
Olá Luís!

I hadn't noticed your arrival here - welcome!
Great to see somebody with Pleione in Portugal - I would love to have orchids, but don't really have anywhere appropriate just at the moment. Too much sun! Did you get yours in Portugal or order them from abroad?
If you need any help with English/Portuguese, I would be happy to help!

um abraço
Chloe, Ponte de Lima, North Portugal, zone 9+

luis

« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2010, 08:40:40 PM »
Hi Casalima, it's very good to have orchid entusiasts here! I bought all by ebay, specially the pleiones. Yesterday my first pleione of the year give flower... i supose it's very soon, but it's lovely... it's a pleione Zeus Weinstein desert sands  ;D

anne gibson

« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2010, 09:28:57 PM »
I have some pleione limprichtii seeds from exchange, which I think would be better going to a good home. ie someone who has access to proper growing media/ conditions. if any one interested please send me an e-mail. sorry if posted in wrong area.
horticulturally challenged

Derbyshire, UK.

Paul Cumbleton

• Pleione Wizard
    • The Pleione Website
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2010, 10:28:22 AM »
At last a few moments to sit and send this to show you some more new hybrids.
First is Bonobo which is P. grandiflora x P. forrestii. As I hoped, some of these have turned out yellow.

I have previously shown Caparro which is P. forrestii x P. Ueli wackernagel. But I also did this cross the other way round (P. Ueli wackernagel x P. forrestii) and show here an example of that.

Next is Pleione Chimpanzee which is P. Zeus weinstein x P. x confusa. These were fairly variable. Some turned out yellow (a pale version of which is shown) and some a bit pinker (also shown). Not surprisingly given the parentage, some turned out looking very much like a yellow Shantung (not shown).

Then comes P. Gorilla which is P. Piton x P. Salek. These were very variable but nearly all were most attractive. A couple of examples are shown.

Finally is P. Muriel, a hybrid bred by my partner Colin Everett. This is P. aurita x P. grandiflora. These make vigorous bulbs with large flowers. Shown is one of the better ones.

Enjoy!

Paul
Paul Cumbleton, Somerton, Somerset, U.K. Zone 8b (U.S. system plant hardiness zone)

I occasionally sell spare plants on ebay -
see http://ebay.eu/1n3uCgm

http://www.pleione.info/

Eric Locke

« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2010, 06:27:10 PM »

Hi Paul

Very nice Paul, thanks for showing them.
Very much like that clone of Muriel from Colin"s cross but would be happy to have any of them in my collection.

Eric

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2010, 06:40:26 PM »
Paul your new Pleione hybrids are wonderful - i particularly like P. Gorilla (1)  - what Pleione attributes are you looking for in particular?
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Paul Cumbleton

• Pleione Wizard
    • The Pleione Website
« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2010, 07:10:26 PM »
Hi Eric,
Yes Muriel is a very satisfactory cross - lovely flowers, which are quite large and on vigorous bulbs. The seedlings varied a lot in terms of the amount of yellow in the lip, but the best are very yellow. It is bulking up fairly quickly, so I would hope to be able to release some in a couple of years time.

Hi Robin,
Gorilla is one of my favourites too from all the crosses I have done. I have a "Monkey" theme to most of my names and the names of the three great apes have been given to those crosses I though the most outstanding.
When I first started breeding I just crossed anything with anything that I thought may give an interesting result. I still don't have any major "target" I am aiming for, but perhaps several things. A few of these would be:

Plants with disitinct lines on the petals
Yellow flowers (there are still surprisingly few really good yellow hybrids)
Orange shades
Winter flowering hybrids with tall stems (no luck so far - the short stem of the autumn species seems to be dominant!)
In all hybrids I would like flowers of good substance, which present well on good stems and grow vigorously.
Cheers for now

Paul
Paul Cumbleton, Somerton, Somerset, U.K. Zone 8b (U.S. system plant hardiness zone)

I occasionally sell spare plants on ebay -
see http://ebay.eu/1n3uCgm

http://www.pleione.info/

Alex

• Oxford, U.K.
« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2010, 10:18:17 PM »
Hi Paul,

Muriel is a wonderful colour. It seems to me that P. aurita is a particularly good parent, most of my favourites have this in the parentage. Can I ask, do you publish a list of bulbs for sale at some time in the year?

Thanks,

Alex

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal