We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Meconopsis / Re: Meconopsis 2024
« Last post by ashley on Today at 01:23:00 PM »
Very exciting Leena 8)
I've never succeeded with punicea.
Hepatica / Re: Hepatica 2024
« Last post by Leena on Today at 10:28:21 AM »
I should also prick out some three year old seedlings and move to separate bed, but it is also here too cold right now. :)
For some reason I have many seedlings germinating this year, and I'm most pleased about seedlings sown from plants I got from Carsten last year. Of course they were open pollinated because they were already finished flowering when they got here, but it will be so interesting to see how they are like when they flower in a few years time.:)

Gabriela,
really nice, and I especially like your multipetals, but the dark americana is great too. I like the dark anthers in H.japonica. :)
Meconopsis / Meconopsis 2024
« Last post by Leena on Today at 10:18:19 AM »
Wild collected seeds I bought from Holubeck (horridula, integrifolia, prattii and punicea) December are now germinating, and very well, too. :) The seed pots were outside all winter, under snow and I took them to cold polytunnel two weeks ago where they are now germinating. Even in M.punicea pot there are couple of seedlings coming up. I now hope I can keep all these alive until flowering. :)

Outside in the garden M.baileyi ('Glacier Blue')

And M.integrifolia, seeds from a kind forumist couple of years ago.

Crocus / Re: Crocus 2024
« Last post by Leena on Today at 10:09:29 AM »
In 2015 I planted five bulbs of C.heuffelianus, some from Janis and some from Leonid Bondarenko, all a bit different, and they have been doing great here.
Increasing well but sadly I haven't gotten any seeds from them, possibly because of our weather.

About five years ago I sowed C.heuffelianus seeds from Pilous, and they are flowering now. I especially like the one with very dark tips. :)

Galanthus / Re: Galanthus April 2024
« Last post by Leena on Today at 10:03:23 AM »
Some snowdrops from last week. The good thing about this cold weather (right now 0C in the middle of the day) is that snowdrops flower longer.

'Wendy's Gold'

This is my 'Bill Clark'. I bought it ten years ago and I think it has flowered twice since. The next year after planting, and then it started going downhill. I moved it to a more moist bed, and then it flowered another time, but then no flowers until now. I distinctly remember that the yellow marking in the inners was right in the beginning. I don't know why it looks like this now this year. Has the original bulb been replaced by a seedling or what?? However, the marking is not as strong as in 'Wendy's Gold'.

'G.plicatus from Staryi Krym', I like this one. In the background G.gracilis planted last summer is just starting to flower.

'Greenpeace' is a good doer here.

As is 'S.Arnott'

Flowers and Foliage Now / Re: April 2024 in the Northern Hemisphere
« Last post by Leena on Today at 09:52:37 AM »
So floriferous in your garden Robert.

I should have better said ex. 'Jacob' Leena because I grew it from seeds.

I should add that in the same location, Helleborus purpurascens, which is a deciduous species, does well, although in other parts of the garden it flowers as early as the snow melts, here it holds on. Only recently the foliage appeared.  It is very hard with our limited garden space to offer proper spots for some species and it takes careful observing of the way the conditions of snow cover/sun/shade, moisture are changing over the seasons.

I got my 'Jacob' as Christmas flower, so it must have been micropropagated, and that is maybe why it doesn't produce seeds, not at least in my climate.
Helleborus purpurascens from your seeds is hardy here, too, and quite early like H.multifidus and H.odorus, while most H. x hybridus are later flowering in my garden. Only couple of yellow H. x hybridus seem to be earlier than others.
It is difficult to find good spots for each plant if when I have more space. Yesterday I moved (my husband helped me) big Darmera peltata to the edge of the garden to make space to more choice plants instead of Darmera which is so big. I can now plant there many smaller plants instead of one big one.

Weather seems to go up and down this spring. After a period of relatively warmer weather we are now again experiencing cold. The past two nights have been -5C and days barely over zero Celsius, and it won't get warmer until the end of next week. There was even a bit of snow last night, but luckily not as much as in easten Finland where they got 20cm more snow.
The first picture of Daphne mezereum is from April 16th.

This picture is from today.

'Jacob' and Corydalis solida today

Helleborus multifidus, I guess there will be no seeds from this plant this year. It was so advanced in flowering and now it is so cold again.

« Last post by Starking007 on April 19, 2024, 06:43:48 PM »
Der Walter ist besonders schön. Und selten.

Diese Zufallssämlinge will ich die Tage auspflanzen, es ist grad schön nass und kalt - brrrrr.....
720452-0
« Last post by Gabriela on April 18, 2024, 07:11:27 PM »
Hi Kris, I suppose you cannot wait to be reunited with your summer garden.
Yes, I had it as H. americana - deep purple, then I name it because it is very distinct. I will try to take out a small division for you.

The color is a bit too intense, it was at the start of flowering and I took it with my cell phone. As the flower age, it fades a bit, like with all other H. americana colors. This taken two days ago with the camera.

What I'm saying about color, can be easily noticed with H. nobilis 'Walter' -deeper pink at the beginning, then fading a bit.
The multipetals are doing well, just that the chipmunks got into cutting the flowers right after opening so I had to put them under a mesh.

« Last post by Gabriela on April 18, 2024, 07:02:28 PM »
Beautiful Hepaticas, Gabriela. Here they are just only starting to flower.

Very nice to have the Hepatica season starting Leena! Do not touch the large H. japonica (except to take pictures :), it looks perfect where it is!
« Last post by Gabriela on April 18, 2024, 06:59:51 PM »
Beautiful Hepatica’s Gabriela, especially the dark blue americana.
We were with a small group 3 days in Germany to see some botanical gardens.
We also visit the plant market in Kiekeberg. There were a lot of people and a lot of plants. Also many Hepaticas by name, but they have already finished flowering. My Hepatica collection has grown a bit.  :)

Thank you Herman. I am sure you had a wonderful time and how can one abstain from having more Hepaticas? :)

The 'dark blue americana' is actually purple, reason why I call it 'Purplelicious'. I know there was a discussion at some point about the Hepatica colors, and while blue is very common for H. americana - in various shades, purple is more rare.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal