We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Bulb Log 44 - 02/11/11/  (Read 2133 times)

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
Re: Bulb Log 44 - 02/11/11/
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2011, 10:58:38 AM »
I don't mind if the BD has senior moments.... so long as he doesn't take up taxonomy.  ::)

And if he has a senior moment in Belgium and doesn't buy me a box of yummy Belgian Chocs when he's there this weekend then I'm changing the locks...... :-X

:o :o :o
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2011, 06:36:56 PM »
Two mystery crocus in one Log - must be a first!

The biflorus type is most likely ssp melantherus.  Autumn flowering with black anthers.

The other one ?pallasii .... well if it is pallasii it should have lots of narrow, grey green leaves.  I'm leaning towards Crocus serotinus here, leaves look likely to be wide(r than pallasii) and green(er).  The subtle feathering on the outers is something I have seen on some forms of C serotinus.  But all my Crocus serotinus finished flowering weeks ago  ???

Marvellous pollen shot by the way!
I tend agree with Tony. Crocus of biflorus group seem to be C. melantherus. Subsp. pseudonubigena isn't earliest in spring, so it's blooming in autumn?
The next didn't look as pallasii. Pallasii stigma is distinctly trifid without fimbriate tips as on your picture. Without seeing of corm difficult to judge, but I more tend to serotinus, too. With me last serotinus finished around week ago.
Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2011, 06:54:29 PM »
Thank you Tony and Janis - I must say that I agree with you both on the Crocus identifications - it is easy when it is pointed out. I will amend the label accordingly and make a note to check the corm for confirmation.

The unusually mild weather is effecting the flowering times of a number of bulbs. The first Narcissus 'Cedric Morris' flower is open in the garden - the earliest we have ever flowered it -  and a number of Galanthus that we would not expect until after January have well developed buds already.

I have never known so many of our Crocus laevigatus to flower as early as they have this year. It will be interesting to see if some still flower through until February like they have in other years.

Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2011, 07:57:23 PM »
I think many of these early flowers are due to last years early cold spell followed by a very hot spring.  Down here last winter started in November, harsh cold and plenty snow.  By February it was spring for many plants and bulbs, not spectacularly warm but much less cold than the preceding period.  A warmer, dry March was followed by an April heatwave, the best 'summer' weather we had until late autumn!  It's 6 months since April, so some plants are ready for the next spring early, before winter has begun!

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal