We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Eranthis 2021  (Read 5152 times)

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
Eranthis 2021
« on: January 16, 2021, 12:03:15 PM »
Our first significant snow this morning (significant for us that is) although it is already rapidly melting.
I love the gold of aconites with snow;
679097-0
Eranthis hyemalis ‘Winterzauber’

679099-1
Eranthis hyemalis ‘Pauline’
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Peppa

• Always diggin'! :)
    • My Garden Blog
Re: Eranthis 2021
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 05:14:05 AM »
Our first significant snow this morning (significant for us that is) although it is already rapidly melting.
I love the gold of aconites with snow;
(Attachment Link)
Eranthis hyemalis ‘Winterzauber’

(Attachment Link)
Eranthis hyemalis ‘Pauline’

Pretty! I love the soft color of  ‘Pauline’! My E. hyemalis is still in buds, but E. pinnatifida in the garden has started to open.
679351-0
Peppa

From the beautiful Pacific Northwest, USA,
where summer is mild and dry
but winter is dark and very wet...
USDA Zone 7b or 8 (depends on the year)
http://seattlepuppy.blog82.fc2.com

Gail

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 09:54:21 AM »
They are really lovely Peppa. Those blue anthers and the deep bronzey foliage is very attractive. The leaves and the ruff of eranthis are as interesting as the flowers.
When 'Dooze' first started it was an intense khaki-green, not really captured in my photo;
679355-0
and one seedling ex. 'Orange Glow' that I'm keeping my eye on, has a ruff with quite a golden glow to it. Again better in life than in my photo;
679357-1

Sorry Maggi, would you be able to rotate those? I seem to be having problems with the attachments at the moment!
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Tomte

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2021, 03:42:50 PM »
Pretty! I love the soft color of  ‘Pauline’! My E. hyemalis is still in buds, but E. pinnatifida in the garden has started to open.
(Attachment Link)

Lovely indeed. E. pinnatifida belongs to my absolute favourites. Seeing your photo makes me want to plant out mine, too. In a few years perhaps, when I have enough progeny.. Yours seem to thrive, how are they situated?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 04:11:09 PM by Tomte »
Tom S.
Upper Bavaria close to Munich, on 700 m

Peppa

• Always diggin'! :)
    • My Garden Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2021, 06:01:22 AM »
They are really lovely Peppa. Those blue anthers and the deep bronzey foliage is very attractive. The leaves and the ruff of eranthis are as interesting as the flowers.
When 'Dooze' first started it was an intense khaki-green, not really captured in my photo;
(Attachment Link)
and one seedling ex. 'Orange Glow' that I'm keeping my eye on, has a ruff with quite a golden glow to it. Again better in life than in my photo;
(Attachment Link)
The outer sepals of your ‘Dooze’ are indeed very green, Gail! It is quite striking!

I also like the contrast of the bronze leaves against the white flowers of E. pinnatifida! And each plant is slightly different; some have much greener leaves even. I have heard from friends of mine in Japan that there are local variations of E. pinnatifida, but I don't have enough examples to be able to tell the difference.

Lovely indeed. E. pinnatifida belongs to my absolute favourites. Seeing your photo makes me want to plant out mine, too. In a few years perhaps, when I have enough progeny.. Yours seem to thrive, how are they situated?
Tom, I have planted them in several places in the garden and also keep some in pots, but the picture I posted previously was taken in the north east side of my garden. There are also Erythronium japonicum and several different species of Trillium growing in that bed.
Peppa

From the beautiful Pacific Northwest, USA,
where summer is mild and dry
but winter is dark and very wet...
USDA Zone 7b or 8 (depends on the year)
http://seattlepuppy.blog82.fc2.com

Mattb

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2021, 10:32:03 AM »
I’m posting here in anticip.....ation of everyone in the northern hemisphere’s Eranthis pics for 2021!

I’m also wondering whether anyone has had much luck with E. pinnatifida from seed? Given my location (Tas, Aus) seed ex are really my only chance of sourcing. I imagine dry storage = death for these seeds, does this sound right? I have had some luck coaxing E. hyemalis out of dormancy after a good 9m of dry storage.

Apples and oranges?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 10:42:42 AM by Mattb »
Based in Northern Tasmania, winter minimums -12°c

Gail

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2021, 12:35:14 PM »
I’m posting here in anticip.....ation of everyone in the northern hemisphere’s Eranthis pics for 2021!

I’m also wondering whether anyone has had much luck with E. pinnatifida from seed? Given my location (Tas, Aus) seed ex are really my only chance of sourcing. I imagine dry storage = death for these seeds, does this sound right? I have had some luck coaxing E. hyemalis out of dormancy after a good 9m of dry storage.

Apples and oranges?

There is actually a Eranthis 2021 thread started Matt here; https://www.srgc.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=18284.0
But we can go retro if you prefer!  :) And actually the reminder of Mariette's lovely picture of Eranthis ´Sachsengold´ buds was much welcomed.

Can't help on the pinnatifida seed, I'm afraid although agree that dry storage doesn't sound like a good idea for them. I've just sown some seed of Eranthis longistipata received from Vlastimil Pilous so will be interested to see how they do.
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Carolyn

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2021, 01:27:19 PM »

Apples and oranges?
Matt,
I was lucky enough to get E. pinnatifida seeds from the January 2019 seedex. I treated them with GA3, as I have found that this works well on dried eranthis seeds. However, nothing germinated in spring 2020. I have my fingers crossed that they will germinate soon.... but somehow, I doubt it!
Carolyn McHale
Gardening in Kirkcudbright

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2021, 06:15:51 PM »
Eranthis hyemalis 'Noël Ayres'
680020-0

Eranthis hyemalis 'Schwefelglanz'
680022-1

Eranthis hyemalis 'Zitronenfalter'
680024-2

Eranthis pinnatifida
680026-3
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 07:12:57 PM by Maggi Young »
Belgium

ruweiss

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2021, 08:57:38 PM »
Sowed my ripe Eranthis pinnatifida seed in April 2019 and they germinated at the end of
January 2020. The second picture is from today and  the young plants look quite promising.
Rudi Weiss,Waiblingen,southern Germany,
climate zone 8a,elevation 250 m

Carolyn

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2021, 10:03:27 PM »
Those are looking good! It makes a big difference to germination with very fresh seeds, I think.
Carolyn McHale
Gardening in Kirkcudbright

Claire Cockcroft

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2021, 11:22:23 PM »
Eranthis hyemalis, double form, grown from seeds from Rick Lupp.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 11:24:10 PM by Claire Cockcroft »
Claire Cockcroft
Bellevue, Washington, USA  Zone 7-8

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2021, 06:11:03 AM »
Eranthis fans may appreciate the opportunity to hear a talk by Wim Boens (as per https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/logdir/2014Jan291391022895IRG49.pdf ).  Wim writes ""... everyone (from all over the world) is welcome. During this 1h long talk, I’ll be focusing on two of my favourite genera (Eranthis and Leucojum), but I’ll discuss many other Winter and Spring flowers which combine well with Galanthus too."  I have posted details in Events here: https://www.srgc.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=18327.0 
Almost in Scotland.

Gail

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2021, 06:12:44 PM »
Wim's talk was excellent with some lovely images of desirable plants, so of course the shopping list is now even longer...

This is Eranthis hyemalis 'Clare Swales', some scent but not as strongly honey-fragrant as Pauline.
680510-0
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Mattb

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2021, 09:13:46 AM »
This is Eranthis hyemalis 'Clare Swales', some scent but not as strongly honey-fragrant as Pauline.

Fragrant Eranthis sounds interesting. Although might require me having to bend down so far I may never get up again!  ;D
Based in Northern Tasmania, winter minimums -12°c

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal