We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Tropaeolum Hybrid?  (Read 1164 times)

Paul Cumbleton

• Pleione Wizard
    • The Pleione Website
Tropaeolum Hybrid?
« on: March 16, 2021, 06:26:23 PM »
I grow Tropaeolum astropurpureum and T. azureum intertwining together in my glasshouse. Seedlings grown from seed collected off these plants have flowered for the first time this year and it seems to me that some of the offspring could be hybrids of the two. The pictures below show T. astropurpureum on the top left, T. azureum is top right and the putative hybrid beneath. The second picture shows the spurs of each. Whatever they are, I like the result very much. I have sent plenty of this seed to the exchange over recent times (labelled as the parent they came from), so if anyone has had similar results I apologise if you did not get the pure species, but hope you may be as happy as I with the result.

Paul
Paul Cumbleton, Somerton, Somerset, U.K. Zone 8b (U.S. system plant hardiness zone)

I occasionally sell spare plants on ebay -
see http://ebay.eu/1n3uCgm

http://www.pleione.info/

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
Re: Tropaeolum Hybrid?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2021, 06:57:09 PM »
That's a very beautiful hybrid Paul.
I really like its deep colour & form.
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Carolyn

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2021, 07:48:30 PM »
Paul,
I hope you’ll manage to send seed to the exchange again this year. It would certainly be going on my list. Beautiful!
Carolyn McHale
Gardening in Kirkcudbright

Ian

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2021, 06:41:11 AM »
I grow Tropaeolum astropurpureum for the first time, but the colors turn out to be mixed.

there are four bulbs in the pot and I can see at least three color forms. But I can't separate them as they intertwine with each other.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 02:17:09 PM by Maggi Young »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2021, 02:17:30 PM »
I grow Tropaeolum astropurpureum for the first time, but the colors turn out to be mixed.

there are four bulbs in the pot and I can see at least three color forms. But I can't separate them as they intertwine with each other.

How pretty the variations are together!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal