We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: PHOTOGRAPHIC THREADS: camera queries, any photo tech stuff!  (Read 127739 times)

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
PHOTOGRAPHIC THREADS: camera queries, any photo tech stuff!
« on: November 24, 2006, 07:03:54 PM »
Here are the merged pages of all the pre-existing photographic subject threads, brought together in one place.  Please use this area for techy talk on photographic questions/discussions.
 Cheers,
 Maggi

Today I bought the What Digital Camera magazine. In it they have trialed the new canon 400D, the Nikon D80 - a magazine for itself included along with a winter buyers guide. There is a great but pricey gadget, £250, that converts the TTL view finder to a small screen that can be tilted out in any direction to photograph awkward objects. Acording to the magazine Canon's 350D is the worlds best selling digital SLR. The rest as they say is "it's now up to you"

Now then, where in the next four weeks can I find a rich widow to get the Canon 400D for Crimbo?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 11:22:49 AM by Maggi Young »
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Sandy Leven

• Roving Reporter
Re: What Digital Camera
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 07:48:48 PM »
Mark'
The Canon G3 had a screen which was very adaptable.  It folded out and turned round. Canon now make a G9 or G10. If it had been available when I bought my EOS 350D in May I would have bought it. I like the 350D but miss the fold out screen, Worth checking it out
Sandy in Dunblane, Perthshire, Scotland

John Forrest

• Blackpool Bird Man
  • Blackpool Lancashire Northwest UK
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 04:00:24 PM »
The down side to screens is their poor performance in bright light. My 'compact' Fuji 2800 had a screen but also a TTL imager adjustable for individual prescriptions, which was great for using in bright conditions AND I didn't have the problem of keep having to put reading glasses on to see the screen. I have ben using a Nikon D50 for a year which is a proper SLR with changeable lenses, which I find very useful but frequently have the wrong one fitted when something flitting comes into view. I had a wide angle lens fitted when a Goldcrest settled nearby but in the picture it was a tiny dot on the horizon. The TTL is much better than a screen for me but I wish I could afford the eyepiece fitting to enable viewing fom above (to avoid laying in the mud but I do have a plastic sheet rolled up in my camera bag). I have just invested in a Nikon D200 which I have almost paid for by selling off some of my plants on ebay. Also swapped with a guy in Germany some of my Dactylorhiza foliosas for some Cypripediums. I will also be getting rid of my Nikon D50 on ebay to make up the difference and to pay for the memory cards etc
Blackpool Lancashire Northwest UK

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 07:58:48 PM »
I think most of you know my thoughts about digital cameras and how good I think they are  but I have been waiting before I went down the SLR route.
The two main issues I have with SLRs are:  one dust on the image sensor and two:  having to lie on the ground to see through the view finder when taking low shots, just as John describes.
However Olympus must have been reading my thoughts as they have now brought out a digital slr  camera that tackles both these issues.
The olympus 330 has a sonic shaker to solve the dust problem and you can also view a live image on a flip out lcd screen if you wish.
The one thing they need to tackle now is to bring the price into my range, or if they want to send me one I will review and use it every week on the bulb log!
check it out.
http://www.olympus-europa.com/consumer/dslr_E-330.htm
« Last Edit: November 25, 2006, 09:24:27 PM by Ian Y »
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 08:36:13 PM »
For the financially challenged there is a lively market in second hand digital cameras as people better off than I keep up-to-date with the latest models.  The camera that I use is a Nikon Coolpix 995 which has a swivel body for comfort when photographing awkward subjects.  It can be picked up on Amazon for £150 and quite possibly less if you are prepared to fight for it on eBay.  The earlier 950 which is nearly as good (not so bright lcd screen, only 2mp) is cheaper still.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007, 06:16:36 PM »
For the last few days, each time I come to the computer, I have found a window open, showing various types of Olympus compact digital cameras: I was puzzled by this, the Bulb Despot currently has three digital cameras and I might have expected him to be browsing the digital SLRs but not a compact. However, I said nothing and went about my business. I've just returned to the pc and found another page open with a compact camera's details: I hailed the despot as he passed; "what is the attraction of these cameras" I asked, "surely you have a digital compact camera, though you do not use it much, lately?"   "Oh" quoth he, carelessly, (very carelessly, as it turns out)" I was thinking about replacing it; it is rather old and slow."
Gentle reader, you can doubtless imagine my reaction to his comment ?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2007, 11:19:42 PM »
Ian, disappointed! A bit obvious, don't you think?

You are letting the (male) side down. You really will have to brush up on subtle.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2007, 10:26:17 AM »
What is subtle Paddy, I don't think I do that.
I have told Maggi that I have no intention of getting rid of my old slow one I just want a fast sleek one as well.
Opps.......

I am watching the Olympus digital SLR E330 and the price is falling I could now get the body and a lens for £500, I am still waiting....

My oldest digital compact is slow, I am usually ready to take my next shot and it is still writing to the card.

The processor is too slow so I am considering replacing it with a neat compact that I can carry with me all the time.

I am not looking for top spec/all singing and dancing I just want a good basic compact below £150 and so far I have narrowed my selection down to either the Olympus Mju 700, or the Nikon coolpix L6.
Any suggestions, comments or experiences with these cameras would be appreciated.
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2007, 10:35:59 AM »
Ian I was in Jessops yesterday. They showed me a good cheap all rounder for £199. The Ricoh 5 with a macro focus to 1cm!! The guy asked for my watch and had the side of the lens touching the watch to take an angled shot of the face. It's about the size of a pack of cards. It;s only 7 megapixels
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ricoh-174284-RICOH-R5-Black/dp/B000JBXWP0/ref=pd_sbs_ce_1/026-8854914-7878826
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
Handy photographic gadget?
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2007, 01:54:55 PM »
I've come across this strange looking object, on the QVC website: here is a pic and what the makers say about it:
An essential piece of equipment for any photographer, this tripod will secure your camera to just about anything! Unlike conventional tripods, you can rest it on all kinds of uneven surfaces - even branches and posts - to ensure you take the perfect picture. Each leg is made from flexible joints that rotate through 360 degrees, and there's a universal camera fitting with a slim link quick release plate. The tripod only weighs 45g so it's light enough to carry around anywhere.
6151-0

Looks quite interesting, doesn't it? For getting to blossoms on branches for instance?
selling price is £17.45 with post and packing of £3.35.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 01:57:39 PM by Maggi Young »

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
Re: Handy photographic gadget?
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2007, 03:00:29 PM »
I spotted it as well in one of those catalogues that come in the post. Was thinking of buying one as it would save having to adjust the legs on the tripod on rough ground. Would be interesting to see if anyone has tried it, waste their money instead of ours if it doesn't work ;)
Susan Band, Pitcairn Alpines, ,PERTH. Scotland

Susan's website:
http://www.pitcairnalpines.co.uk

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2007, 07:58:16 PM »
Looks a bit like something from Dr. Who?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Carlo

• BirdMan and Botanical Blogger
    • BotanicalGardening.com
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2007, 08:12:31 PM »
For a little pocket point-and-shoot, maybe, but it doesn't look like it'll hold much weight...
Carlo A. Balistrieri
Vice President
The Garden Conservancy
Zone 6

Twitter: @botanicalgarden
Visit: www.botanicalgardening.com and its BGBlog, http://botanicalgardening.com/serendipity/index.php

afw

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2007, 08:47:16 PM »
Hi Maggi
Aamazon have Gorilla Pod for £11.50+postage.
Regards
afw
Alan Whybrow, late of mighty Sawbo, now in Belper, Derbyshire

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2007, 09:12:25 PM »
Hello, afw, welcome to the forum and thanks for this info. Quite a difference in price, isn't it, even with the money back trial period?

May I (we?) call you something friendlier than afw? In Scotland, afw too easily becomes a'faa which is "awful" and to my mind and manners,that is awful! It could be that you are full of awe but, then again, the risk of being thought a'faa is not one I would relish !

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal