We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Iris reticulata and forms 2008  (Read 72499 times)

dominique

• River Dweller
  • passionated by bulbs since 1978,
Re: Iris reticulata and forms
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2008, 11:36:59 PM »
First reticulata Gordon
do

Pontoux France

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2008, 11:20:17 AM »
Udo, is Iris vartanii always so pale?
Maggi & Dirk,
  some 20 years ago I also grew I. vartanii ,collected in Israel & sent to me by Brian Mathew which was a darker blue, with a slight greyish tone. I grew it for a number of years ,but then it went to heaven, as did the albino form. Is the white one still grown & available commercially? It never seemed robust here.
       Ciao Otto.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 02:52:00 PM by Maggi Young »
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2008, 11:06:13 PM »
Various reticulata types are now in flower - as with much else, responding to warmth.  At least the display is not spoiled by the dull warm weather like the crocuses are.

Here 2 forms if Iris histrio.

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2008, 11:18:08 PM »
  just remembered another reference and photo of Iris vartanii by Erich Pasche [of Crocus fame ]in The Bulletin of the Alpine Garden Soc. vol.66 No.3 -Sep. 1998-on page 278-
 a rather beautyful pale blue.
       Otto.
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2008, 08:05:27 AM »
I. hist 2 is a real stunner Tony !  :o
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2008, 12:56:09 PM »
Lovely Iris histrio Tony.

Im getting a bit worried about some of mine. I have histrio var. aintabensis, reticulata bakeriana and winowgradowii in the greenhouse all of which aren't showing above the grit yet. From potting until just before Christmas I had them outside and am wondering if they got too wet and have rotted off. Too early to tip them out and have a look I suppose??
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Luc Gilgemyn

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2008, 01:36:49 PM »
Hi David - I would hold my breath for another week or two if I were you, perhaps light a candle.... but it surely doesn't look promising. :-\
I have a potful of I. K. Hodgekin that underwent the same treatment (outside until mid December and then inside) in full flower right now, I hope to post a pic tonight.

Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2008, 01:45:20 PM »
Hi David - I would hold my breath for another week or two if I were you, perhaps light a candle.... but it surely doesn't look promising. :-\
I have a potful of I. K. Hodgekin that underwent the same treatment (outside until mid December and then inside) in full flower right now, I hope to post a pic tonight.

Hi Luc, candles will be lit, one for each year of my age, so, if you see a soft glow in the North Western sky tonight you will know what it is!! My Katharine Hodgkin in the greenhouse (that were also outside until Christmas time) are doing quite well but are perhaps a couple of weeks away from a picture stage but the ones in the garden may be ready next week (now I've said that what's the betting that the slugs have a feast!).
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2008, 01:52:59 PM »
Just a few pictures from the garden today taken in a brief respite from the thin but heavy drizzle we have had all day so far.

The first two are Iris danfordiae, still a little immature, but pretty none the less. I bought a batch of 10 bulbs and have 5 flowering, par for the course for this awkward variety I suppose? The other one is Iris histrioides Angel Tears which I think is very nice.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Luc Gilgemyn

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2008, 02:28:53 PM »
Looking good David - this time it's mine that are way behind.
My I. ret. Angels tears aren't showing anything above ground level so far... should I be the one to worry now ??  ???
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Luc Gilgemyn

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2008, 07:30:22 PM »
Here's my pot of I. histrioides 'Katharine Hodgkin' - in the garden, no sign of them yet.
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2008, 08:25:30 PM »
my pot of iris histrio
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2008, 08:40:57 PM »
Now I am worried about mine not showing yet.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2008, 08:49:24 PM »
Now I am worried about mine not showing yet.
Don't panic, David, sit down and have some wensleydale and cake... you know it makes sense.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2008, 08:58:05 PM »
Various reticulata types are now in flower - as with much else, responding to warmth.  At least the display is not spoiled by the dull warm weather like the crocuses are.

Here 2 forms if Iris histrio.

Wow! What beautiful markings an the 2nd. picture, Tony!
Best wishes
Armin

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal