We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Pictures of plants you are growing from Archibald seed  (Read 183589 times)

YT

• Twitter
Re: Pictures of plants you are growing from Archibald seed
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2013, 11:38:55 AM »
JJA 351.100 Crocus rujanensis*
Serbia, Rujan Planina. 600m. Ex a N. Randjelovic coll. (Recently described spring-flowerer. In effect a northern, disjunct population of C. sieberi subsp. sublimis. Rich lavender-blue flowers with yellow throats. May be worth distinguishing by gardeners as it is vigorous & growable under glass & may prove good outside in the UK.)

Sowing: Oct. 2009
Germinating: Dec. 2009
First blooming: Jan. 2013
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 09:34:41 AM by YT »
Tatsuo Y
By the Pacific coast, central part of main island, Japan

YT

• Twitter
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2013, 09:37:48 AM »
JJA 688.705: Muscari coeleste*
(Subgen. Pseudomuscari) Turkey, Nigde, Kamirkazik Dag, 1700-1750m. Ex KPPZ 90-318. (A diminutive Turkish alpine endemic with a classic Anatolian diagonal distribution, obliquely from here almost to the Georgian & Iranian borders. Only a few cm. high with tight, rounded racemes of open-mouthed, sky-blue bells followed by turquoise-blue tinted capsules. A very local species, which is little-known but will certainly resent hot, dry conditions.)

Sowing: Nov. 2008
Germinating: Jan. 2009
First blooming: Jan. 2013
Tatsuo Y

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2013, 09:53:44 AM »
Tatsuo, your reports of your Archibald plants in Japan are much appreciated.
It is clear that these seed raised plants give you pleasure - which is indicative of the worth of the Archibald's  efforts around the world.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2013, 03:49:27 PM »
Very interesting to see Tatsuo 8) 

I received Muscari coeleste under the number JJA 688.704, sowed the seeds in January 2010 and had first flowers in Jan 2012.
According to the JJA master list compiled by David Stephens 688.704 also refers to seed grown in cultivation, but from plants of origin given as: Turkey, Nigde, SW of Ciftehan, foothills of Bolkar Daglari. 1700m. In turf of alpine meadow by stream. 
However both the insert in the packet and the notes in the Jan 2011 list refer to it as 'ex KPPZ 90-318', like 688.705 which you showed.  Confusing :-\

Unfortunately both last year and this it struggled to free flower scapes from the leaves which grow upright under my conditions, as the first 2 pix show. 
It’s certainly a tiny thing, and tricky to pollinate.

Another one starting here now (also sown Jan 2010, first flowering Jan 2012) is

JJA 688.205: Muscari azureum (seed from cultivated plants)
(Subgen. Pseudomuscari) Turkey, ex KPPZ-2241.  A very local plant in the wild, occurring sporadically in central Turkey, mainly in the eastern Cilician Taurus.  Close to M. pseudomuscari & M. mcbeathianum with dense, ovoid racemes of open-mouthed, sky-blue bells on 10 cm stems.  Usually represented in cultivation by atypical clones.  The true wild species does not proliferate vegetatively and needs some care.

This species has a reputation as being particularly susceptible to virus.  Therefore last year I pollinated it and re-sowed a few seeds as a backup, and now plan to replenish the stock at regular intervals.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 04:51:29 PM by ashley »
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

YT

• Twitter
« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2013, 02:04:56 PM »
Thank you Maggi and Ashley :) Yes, he sent me the seeds with boundless pleasure :) :) :)

I have a pot with JJA 688.704 seedlings from Jan. 2011 seed list. The description of 688.704 on the list is replaced to the 688.705. That's so confusing ??? ??? ???

Ashley, where do you grow these muscari pots? I expose these seedling pots outside with only rain covering and they grow well. Perhaps winter temperature at your place is milder than mine?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 02:28:28 PM by YT »
Tatsuo Y

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2013, 08:49:32 PM »
They're under glass Tatsuo, to protect them from slugs and excess rain, but cool and well-ventilated. 
However temperatures here are generally mild (rarely much below 0oC) and at about 52oN winter light levels are much lower than yours. 
Unfortunately this combination attenuates the plants a lot, in contrast to your lovely compact plants.
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

YT

• Twitter
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2013, 12:18:35 PM »
Ashley, I forgot the other factors than temperature :-[ But I cannot grow many fascinating himalayan natives here because of summer heat, as you know... :(
Tatsuo Y

alanelliott

• Flora of Nepal
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2013, 01:39:39 PM »
Currently flowering at RBGE in the Alpine yard is an ex Gothenburg B.G. accession of Jim Archibald's Dionysia aretioides number 2329 collected in Iran during 1966.

Living Collection Researcher at the Botanics
Twitter: @alan_elliott

alanelliott

• Flora of Nepal
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2013, 11:47:05 AM »
Two more of Jim's collections this time for Equador. Both collected on 5th of July 1993 in the crater of Volcan Pululahua (N of Quito). Both accessions are lacking a collection numbers in our records.

Adiantum poiretii - growing in the tender fern research house. Spores about readily.

Chelianthes mirophylla - growing in the Arabian research house under supplementary lighting. Additional plants growing in the Arid Lands display house but with the lack of light in the Edinburgh at this time of year they look pretty knackered.

alanelliott

• Flora of Nepal
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2013, 02:08:29 PM »
Dionysia tapetodes collection number 2329 collected by Jim in Iran during 1966. This accession was recieved as a cutting Gothenburg B.G. in 1993.

Currently on display in the "old" Alpine House.

Darren

« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2013, 05:02:50 PM »
Tropaeolum sessilifolium listed in August 2006 under JJA 2.971.400 but is actually F&W 11255. (From August 2006 Jim and Jenny were distributing habitat collected seed on behalf of the Watsons)

Only one seed germinated and it started flowering in 2010.

Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

David Stephens

« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2013, 07:37:22 PM »
Two more of Jim's collections this time for Equador. Both collected on 5th of July 1993 in the crater of Volcan Pululahua (N of Quito). Both accessions are lacking a collection numbers in our records.

Alan
The Adiantum is JCA13695 and the Cheilanthes is JCA13696 both collected at c.3000m.
If you would like a pdf copy of Jim's field notes for these collections e-mail me.
Regards
David Stephens

YT

• Twitter
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2013, 01:14:41 PM »
JJA 689.270: Muscari discolor
(Subgen. Botryanthus) * Turkey, Mardin, N of Mardin. 1100m. Among talus on steep limestone slopes. (This is the 'true' plant. Hausshnecht's type-collection was from Mardin & this taxon appears to be restricted to the hills in southern Urfa & Mardin provinces, along the northern edge of the Syrian Desert running towards the Iraqi border. Extreamely early flowering (February with us) & about 10cm. tall with racemes of bicolored, open-mouthed bells, the blackish blue of the base contrasting with the white of the apex, which occupies almost half of the length of each flower.)

Germinating: Dec. 2008
First blooming: Feb. 2013

I couldn't find this on the master list but on Sept. 2008 list.
Tatsuo Y

David Stephens

« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2013, 09:09:42 PM »
JJA 689.270: Muscari discolor
(Subgen. Botryanthus) * Turkey, Mardin, N of Mardin. 1100m. Among talus on steep limestone slopes. (This is the 'true' plant. Hausshnecht's type-collection was from Mardin & this taxon appears to be restricted to the hills in southern Urfa & Mardin provinces, along the northern edge of the Syrian Desert running towards the Iraqi border. Extreamely early flowering (February with us) & about 10cm. tall with racemes of bicolored, open-mouthed bells, the blackish blue of the base contrasting with the white of the apex, which occupies almost half of the length of each flower.)

Germinating: Dec. 2008
First blooming: Feb. 2013

I couldn't find this on the master list but on Sept. 2008 list.

The master list of JJA seed is unfortunately not fully complete. Jim started compiling this list but never finished it. It is possible to find entries on the individual seed lists that are not shown on the master list. I spent several months trying to make it comprehensive but it is a mammoth task. We finally decided that it was better to put it on the website 99% complete rather than not at all.

YT

• Twitter
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2013, 10:51:29 AM »
The master list of JJA seed is unfortunately not fully complete. Jim started compiling this list but never finished it. It is possible to find entries on the individual seed lists that are not shown on the master list. I spent several months trying to make it comprehensive but it is a mammoth task. We finally decided that it was better to put it on the website 99% complete rather than not at all.

Thank you very much for your all contribution to JJA archives, David. It must be a hard work.
I apologise if you feel any offensiveness by my post. I didn't mean any blame... but my English is not so good :-[
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 02:48:05 PM by YT »
Tatsuo Y

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal