We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus: October 2010  (Read 44986 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Crocus: October 2010
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2010, 05:09:58 PM »
The first two were grown from SRGC Seed Ex. seed obtained as Crocus speciosus sown in August 2007, and are flowering for the first time. They are not speciosus, probably pulchellus, but could they be hybrids between the two?

The second two C. speciosus 'Albus' which I never seem to be able to grow to reasonable sized corms.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

I.S.

• http://crocusmania.blogspot.com/search/label/Crocus
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2010, 06:03:53 PM »
  David, that looks like a pure C. pulchellus to me.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2010, 09:17:03 PM »
What a magnificent selection of crocuses everyone. It (almost) makes me look forward to autumn again, especially since our spring has been largely cold and dull. My only crocus at present is the last of C minimus 'Bavella Form' which is holding on well in a trough.

Thomas your latest rock garden is very fine. I wonder why I'm not surprised to see so many crocus and colchicum all through it. I hope there will be as many irises in the spring. :D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2010, 10:40:59 PM »
  David, that looks like a pure C. pulchellus to me.

Ibrahim, many thanks.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

dominique

• River Dweller
  • passionated by bulbs since 1978,
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2010, 10:37:58 AM »
Thank you all for such nice pics
Thomas,have you the descriptions of speciosus aitchisonii. I too try to select the different cultivars. Conqueror looks larger than Cassiope and more late than Artabir. The first is Aino at home with Oxonian.
do

Pontoux France

goofy

« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2010, 12:13:53 PM »
hello,
these are my C. speciosus 'Albus'

enjoy

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2010, 04:46:46 PM »
Janis, it should be crocus speciosus Goris, not Gornus. It was collected near the surroundings of town of Goris (Sothern Armenia).
Did you like crocus serotinus salzmanii vigorous form, which I sent you 2 years ago?
[/quote]

Not allways spelling of hand-writed labels are correct, especially if labels are written by myself. And when I'm re-writing my own labels - oh...
In any case thanks for correction!
About C. serotinus - will check tomorrow, if for me will be possible to go outside. Today I did this, so few pictures will follow.
Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2010, 05:09:15 PM »
More and more crocuses every day comes out, so only few most exciting for today.
For the first time bloomed very ordinary species, which I collected wild in Turkey E of Čan - Crocus pulchellus. Nothing special but look on shape of flower segments - not many species has so wide and rounded petals. Of course, it is exceptional for pulchellus. It was marked, for further growing in own pot, hoping good increasing.
Nice surprise gave first flower of Crocus pallasii stock collected on roadside to Altinyaila. Very close to mathewii by outer shape. Another one specially marked.
Crocus pallasii dispathaceus and Crocus cancellatus from nr. Goksum (BATM-392) by flower shape looks very similar, only many-branched stigma allows easy separate last as cancellatus form.
From Crocus cancellatus here another subsp. mazziaricus and next is subsp. damascenus.
From traditional cultivars this time Crocus pulchellus 'Zephyr' - really it isn't original stock but healthy open pollinated seedling from virus infected Dutch stock of 'Zephyr', visually inseparable from mother plant.
An as last picture - unexpected visitor in my greenhouse - young viper which came in to get some warm before winter sleep. I took it in bucket and brought to shrubs. Not pleasant visitor, although only some 25-30 cm long, but poisonous from first day after hatching.
Janis

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2010, 05:16:20 PM »
Oh, forgot to add two different crocuses known under name Crocus kotschyanus leucopharynx. The first is the form common to me since my young years. It was crocus distributed as karduchorum or later as leucopharynx by Van Tubergen and other companies and grown in gardens some 30 years ago. I was quite happy when I reacquired it from some Czech grower (under name C. banaticus ;D). The meeting with this old chap compensated disappointment for wrong name.
Another is the form which I got from Dirk. Really it responds to requirements for leucopharynx if we are regarding to it as variety, but if it will be regarded as cultivar, than another name is required.
Janis

Oron Peri

• Middle Eastern Correspondent for the Forum
  • Living in the Galilee Region, min. temp. 5c max 40
    • Seeds of Peace
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2010, 06:47:28 PM »
Janis
They are all superb, some outstending forms of the styles.
The cancellatus from Goksum with narrow petals is particularly nice.
Thanks for showing them.
Tivon, in the lower Galilee, north Israel.
200m.

ArnoldT

« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2010, 01:44:25 AM »
Here is a slightly battered Crocus speciosus among a hardy Crinum leaf.

Small clefts in the petals noted
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2010, 02:19:45 AM »

Could be just battered, but more likely to be virused.
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

ArnoldT

« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2010, 02:20:54 AM »
Mark:

Pretty sure battered.  We had a strong wind and rain for the last three days. 
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2010, 02:36:52 AM »
Mark:

Pretty sure battered.  We had a strong wind and rain for the last three days. 

Yeah, we had wind and rain for the last few days, cleared and was beautiful today, supposed to be super nice for the next few days.  My Crocus kotschyanus came up and all flopped over, I suppose they are not used to this mystery wet stuff after all the drought.
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2010, 05:08:59 AM »

My first opinion was that it is virus, but when I saw enlarged picture I more tend to mechanical damage.
Janis

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal