We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: "Fat Plants" : cacti,succulents, caudiciforms, whatever..  (Read 190006 times)

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
Re: "Fat Plants" : cacti,succulents, caudiciforms, whatever..
« Reply #645 on: November 04, 2013, 08:34:14 PM »
Humm interesting to know John .....you've been in Belgium for a while in the 80 's .....

I add some pictures of flowering Ariocarpus kotschoubeyanus . Al grow from seed many years ago . (must be around 1995 or something like that) 
They just started to flower 1 or 2 years ago .They stil fit wel in a pot with a wide of 5.5 cm ....
So very very very slow growing .

Oh no, Kris...are you following me with those things? >:( >:( Feeding an addiction is not really nice  >:( >:(  ;)  ;D
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #646 on: November 04, 2013, 09:07:21 PM »
Oh no, Kris...are you following me with those things? >:( >:( Feeding an addiction is not really nice  >:( >:(  ;)  ;D

Too late for that warning, Wim - the forum is full of plant addicts - none curable - it's what makes us all so cheerful!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #647 on: November 04, 2013, 10:10:55 PM »
That is spectacular Kris, quite the feat to flower Ariocarpus.  You may recall I watered a dead one for quite some time despite warnings from someone in the household that it had parted company........ :-[

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Rogan

• Beetle daisy
« Reply #648 on: November 08, 2013, 01:01:20 PM »
Kris, you are a master at mesemb cultivation - my own pathetic attempts leave me red-faced with embarrassment!  ::)  Now for a few pictures of your Muiria hortenseae?   ;D
Rogan Roth, near Swellendam, Western Cape, SA
Warm temperate climate - zone 10-ish

SJW

« Reply #649 on: December 05, 2013, 06:03:02 PM »
A friend gifted me this pot. Mitrophyllum abbreviatum - perhaps not to everyone's taste...
Steve Walters, West Yorkshire

Darren

« Reply #650 on: December 05, 2013, 08:58:52 PM »
Most Mesembs are to my taste Steve. I've a few Mitrophyllum and Monilaria raised from seed. One of the former produced a flower for the first time at 8 years old and I'm told this is fast! Sadly it flowers in mid winter and the flower never actually opens in our light - I can see enough to be able to say it is yellow! No flowers on any of the others yet and they are now over a decade old.

Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

krisderaeymaeker

• former president Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging  Flemish Rock Garden Club site and Forum
« Reply #651 on: December 05, 2013, 09:03:10 PM »
Hi Steve and Darren ,

I grow a few (maybe 5 )different species of Mitrophyllum for more then 10 years . They al are very odd and special plants.
I like them for some reason , but I never get one into flower so far .........
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 09:05:35 PM by krisderaeymaeker »
Kris De Raeymaeker
from an ancient Roman settlement near the Rupel
Belgium

"even the truth is very often only perception"

"Small plants make great friends"

krisderaeymaeker

• former president Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging  Flemish Rock Garden Club site and Forum
« Reply #652 on: December 05, 2013, 09:04:43 PM »
Kris, you are a master at mesemb cultivation - my own pathetic attempts leave me red-faced with embarrassment!  ::)  Now for a few pictures of your Muiria hortenseae?   ;D

Thanks for the compliments .
You are the master for that one Rogan .....I am stil in a learning phase for Muiria ....
Kris De Raeymaeker
from an ancient Roman settlement near the Rupel
Belgium

"even the truth is very often only perception"

"Small plants make great friends"

SJW

« Reply #653 on: December 06, 2013, 12:13:19 AM »
Most Mesembs are to my taste Steve...No flowers on any of the others yet and they are now over a decade old.

I like them for some reason , but I never get one into flower so far .........

Hi both - yes, I too find them interesting although some people may not be persuaded when they look at a potful of dead twigs in the summer! My friend has some old specimens of Mitrophyllum so I'll check if he's ever managed to get them to flower (and open!). 
Steve Walters, West Yorkshire

angie

« Reply #654 on: December 10, 2013, 08:24:50 PM »
I have a large Agave plant, its to big to pot up again. I used to water it from above and the water just trickled down through the leaves but lately the leaves have turned down my question is why have the leaves started facing down and is this a sign of overwatering. It would be handy to know as I can hardly get water into this plant.

Angie  :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #655 on: December 12, 2013, 07:16:46 AM »
I think this is Aloe aristata which we got from a friend a few years ago; I thought it was a Haworthia till it flowered,
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Darren

« Reply #656 on: January 19, 2014, 04:38:22 PM »
Most Mesembs are to my taste Steve. I've a few Mitrophyllum and Monilaria raised from seed. One of the former produced a flower for the first time at 8 years old and I'm told this is fast! Sadly it flowers in mid winter and the flower never actually opens in our light - I can see enough to be able to say it is yellow! No flowers on any of the others yet and they are now over a decade old.

The yellow mitrophyllum I mentioned is trying to flower but the flower is so feeble I decided to spare it the embarrassment of public spectacle...

However, when looking I spotted this - the first ever flower buds on one of my ten-year-old Monilaria obconica. :) I hope they wait until the weather warms up before trying to open.

Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #657 on: February 28, 2014, 07:13:03 PM »
I have a large Agave plant, its to big to pot up again. I used to water it from above and the water just trickled down through the leaves but lately the leaves have turned down my question is why have the leaves started facing down and is this a sign of overwatering. It would be handy to know as I can hardly get water into this plant.

Angie  :)

not enough of an Agave expert to really know! but I will say downturned leaves don't seem unusual to me, maybe just the age of the leaves? The plant will appreciate a good thorough watering in growing season, as long as it does not sit wet a long time, and dries more or less between waterings, and little to none while dormant.

penstemon

• Bob Nold
« Reply #658 on: March 02, 2014, 05:20:42 AM »
Some species of Agave typically have leaves which turn down. The symptoms of overwatering are usually very evident; leaves become soft, signalling the decline and eventual death of the plant, but most agaves tolerate a great deal more water than most people think they do. The proper way to water them is just as you're doing; overhead, to allow the natural "self-watering" process to take place.
By the way, agaves do not really go dormant. Species which tolerate cold become hardened within a couple of days after exposure to cold, and simply become quiescent. Root hydraulic conductivity does not stop, however, and if the plants are able to take up water during this quiescent period the sugar solutes protecting the plant from freezing become diluted, and the cells explode, with not very pleasant results.
This varies widely with species, most not having any ability at all in this respect.

Bob

Bob
west of Denver, Colorado, elevation 1705.6 meters, annual precipitation ~30cm, minimum low temperature...cold...

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #659 on: March 03, 2014, 07:51:36 PM »
Thanks for the info, Bob :) Agaves are strictly an indoor proposition here, so freezing is never an issue, but I wouldn't water in winter when light levels are low, and if they are in a spot where a window might keep the soil chilly..
Currently the only one I have is a small seedling under lights, since it is warm and light all winter for now, I do water water all year, though less in winter.. Probably have to move it to a window spot this season...

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal