We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: "Fat Plants" : cacti,succulents, caudiciforms, whatever..  (Read 189982 times)

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
Re: "Fat Plants" : cacti,succulents, caudiciforms, whatever..
« Reply #330 on: November 09, 2010, 03:38:22 PM »
Also new to my garden this summer are forms of an undetermined Delosperma species  from Kirstenbosch, representing two collections of apparently the same species.  It still has a few small magenta flowers.  These are growing in the ground at the base of a trough, slightly raised, in a southerly exposure, I hope that they overwinter.

We've had a number of nights down into the mid 20s F (-4 C) and they continue to flower unfazed.
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

krisderaeymaeker

• former president Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging  Flemish Rock Garden Club site and Forum
« Reply #331 on: November 09, 2010, 06:06:25 PM »
Also new to my garden this summer are forms of an undetermined Delosperma species  from Kirstenbosch, representing two collections of apparently the same species.  It still has a few small magenta flowers.  These are growing in the ground at the base of a trough, slightly raised, in a southerly exposure, I hope that they overwinter.
We've had a number of nights down into the mid 20s F (-4 C) and they continue to flower unfazed.

Interesting Mark ! I am curious about the result of hardines...
Kris De Raeymaeker
from an ancient Roman settlement near the Rupel
Belgium

"even the truth is very often only perception"

"Small plants make great friends"

TheOnionMan

« Reply #332 on: November 09, 2010, 06:10:14 PM »

Interesting Mark ! I am curious about the result of hardines...

I received a collection of various "hardy" ice plants, this winter will indeed be a test of hardiness. I was told after I planted some in troughs and some in the ground, that they're not as reliably hardy in troughs but should be in the ground.
Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

krisderaeymaeker

« Reply #333 on: November 09, 2010, 06:24:26 PM »
I received a collection of various "hardy" ice plants, this winter will indeed be a test of hardiness. I was told after I planted some in troughs and some in the ground, that they're not as reliably hardy in troughs but should be in the ground.

This make sense to me Mark but the future decides that it's right or wrong...
 Anyhow I keep interested in the results ,so please let us know ...
Kris De Raeymaeker
Belgium

TheOnionMan

« Reply #334 on: November 09, 2010, 07:04:38 PM »
Another one I received is a plant labeled Stomatium patulum (Tiger Jaws Iceplant), with the added note from the sender "likely misnamed".  here's the plant, never flowered all summer, but making pretty good little mounds of opposite "jawed" leaves.  Anyone have an idea about what this plant might be?  I can't find any certifiable photos of Stomatium patulum even as a starting point.  I've never grown Stomatium before, so don't know what to expect, but doing a search reveals some attractive plants.  Someone on another forum suggested this plant looks like Faucaria, maybe F. hooleae?

Picsearch results for Stomatium
http://www.picsearch.com/pictures/plants/garden%20plants/plants%20sk-sy/stomatium.html

Stomatium mustellinum
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/108386/

PS. In the first photo, the potted plant is Talinum (Phemeranthus) 'Zoe', which might look dead from afar, but it is quite alive and well; just went into dormancy mode for the winter.
Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #335 on: November 09, 2010, 07:05:39 PM »
mark, cool little 'hardies' interesting to see how they do..

darren-- about the mammillarias, i haven't correlated the winter bloomers with altitude, i just checked the one that flowers all winter here--laui subducta--and it is said to be from Tamaulipas, Mexico around 800m

hahniana woodsii also flowers here in late fall, early spring, mostly out of watering season, this one is from Guanajuato, in central Mex, but no altitude listed..

my guess is that these winter flowering species, from spring-fall rainfall areas are either or both: flowering when there is less competition for pollinators, flowering when they can ripen seed by growing season..

i certainly haven't seen all of them, but it seems to me the plants in Eriosyce (neoporteria/neochilenia etc) which flower in winter are more so in the 'Neoporteria' type, flowers with internal petals (if i have that right) closed
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cactushorridus/85027428/
less so in the 'Neochilenia" type flower, which is more open
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cactushorridus/307287699/
(of course that description is simplistic--most species have been in both genera, and several others, all are now in Eriosyce for those that wish it so)
some areas in chile do receive more moisture in winter, but i haven't seen good discussions of how this related to flowering times...

krisderaeymaeker

« Reply #336 on: November 09, 2010, 07:21:13 PM »
Another one I received is a plant labeled Stomatium patulum (Tiger Jaws Iceplant), with the added note from the sender "likely misnamed".  here's the plant, never flowered all summer, but making pretty good little mounds of opposite "jawed" leaves.  Anyone have an idea about what this plant might be?  I can't find any certifiable photos of Stomatium patulum even as a starting point.  I've never grown Stomatium before, so don't know what to expect, but doing a search reveals some attractive plants.  Someone on another forum suggested this plant looks like Faucaria, maybe F. hooleae?
Have to check it tomorrow Mark. I think I have something like that in my collection...
Kris De Raeymaeker
Belgium

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #337 on: November 09, 2010, 07:52:56 PM »

http://www.picsearch.com/pictures/plants/garden%20plants/plants%20sk-sy/stomatium.html

Stomatium mustellinum

PS. In the first photo, the potted plant is Talinum (Phemeranthus) 'Zoe', which might look dead from afar, but it is quite alive and well; just went into dormancy mode for the winter.

a cute one... this is expected to be hardy? i've never heard of Faucaria among the hardier genera.. we'll see what kris comes up with... will you be protecting these unknown mesembs from excess winter wet?

TheOnionMan

« Reply #338 on: November 10, 2010, 04:52:25 AM »

a cute one... this is expected to be hardy? i've never heard of Faucaria among the hardier genera.. we'll see what kris comes up with... will you be protecting these unknown mesembs from excess winter wet?

All that were sent to me are supposed to be hardy in Colorado, which implies they should be comparatively hardy here... the biggest difference in our climate is levels of moisture.  I shall not be protecting these mesembs from excess winter wet, all I can do is to plant them in very well drained positions, which is what I've done, and situate them in the best possible exposure, and hope for the best.  If they don't make it then cest la vie.
Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #339 on: November 10, 2010, 06:43:42 AM »
will be interesting to hear in spring how they have done..

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #340 on: November 10, 2010, 07:03:51 PM »
Hans and Kris, thank you for naming my little cactus. Gradually each one will have a label on it. :D

The second bud shrivelled so remembering the film "The Living Desert" from many, many years ago (was it a Disney film?) I soaked the pot in cool water and next morning, there were three more buds! I remember that film, mostly about the south western USA I think, talked about how, after spring storms, the cactus all came into bloom within a few days of the rains.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

krisderaeymaeker

« Reply #341 on: November 11, 2010, 05:11:50 PM »

Stomatium mustellinum

It must be a Stomatium Mark. Certainly not Faucaria hooleae or another Faucaria. Stomatium is a widely scattered genus and I have two different ones here at home. The first is labelled as Stomatium sp. Animub. The second has no label anymore ,I lost it ...
There is not so many written on this genus. Some years ago I was a member of the South African society wich called "Aloe". Maybe there is something about this genus to find in the older issues.
Kris De Raeymaeker
Belgium

TheOnionMan

« Reply #342 on: November 12, 2010, 01:53:30 PM »

It must be a Stomatium Mark. Certainly not Faucaria hooleae or another Faucaria. Stomatium is a widely scattered genus and I have two different ones here at home. The first is labelled as Stomatium sp. Animub. The second has no label anymore ,I lost it ...
There is not so many written on this genus. Some years ago I was a member of the South African society wich called "Aloe". Maybe there is something about this genus to find in the older issues.

Thanks Kris... I'll keep looking towards Stomatium on that one.  I got this and other mesembs from Panayoti Kelaidis, I'll check in with him to see if there's been any determination on which Stomatium it may be.
Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

TheOnionMan

« Reply #343 on: November 13, 2010, 04:56:08 AM »
Yet another mesemb that I received is Delosperma 'White Nugget', apparently a sport of D. basuticum.  It didn't flower this summer, but bulked up a little bit.  It is taking on some cold weather foliage coloration right now, I hope it survives the winter.
Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Carlo

• BirdMan and Botanical Blogger
    • BotanicalGardening.com
« Reply #344 on: November 13, 2010, 03:20:36 PM »
Mark,

It appears we were part of the same distribution--and that my plants are acting about the same as yours. I have encountered some herbivore damage. Apparently the munchers around here are not afraid to experiment with cuisine from another continent. A couple of the smaller plants I've lost entirely, others were merely set back, the balance not really touched at all. There is no apparent rhyme or reason to the depredations.

The real test, as with yours, is our upcoming winter (and that IS why the plants are being tested).

Buona fortuna a tutti!
Carlo A. Balistrieri
Vice President
The Garden Conservancy
Zone 6

Twitter: @botanicalgarden
Visit: www.botanicalgardening.com and its BGBlog, http://botanicalgardening.com/serendipity/index.php

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal