We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: "Fat Plants" : cacti,succulents, caudiciforms, whatever..  (Read 190051 times)

krisderaeymaeker

• former president Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging  Flemish Rock Garden Club site and Forum
Re: "Fat Plants" : cacti,succulents, caudiciforms, whatever..
« Reply #270 on: October 06, 2010, 06:50:32 PM »
No Kris, here they flower in the autumn as well (March - April). Lovely little plants and flowers, they always seem to do better in the northern hemisphere than they do here in the south, or is that just because you are better growers?   ;)

Thanks Cohan ,the same black trays ...

Rogan , I  have myself wrong expressed . Offcourse they flower in the autumn in your country ,but I want to say that it is spring at that time in our northern hemisphere.

Darren ,Rogan , Lithops are for me the most easy plants.They only get for times (maximum 5 times) water each year,never get any feed.
Repotting is getting place only once in 10/15 years. I keep them in my very light and sunny greenhouse (no shading).In our winter I try to keep the frost out of the greenhouse.Temperature around 0° C and sometimes light frost.During that time I keep them bonedry.They never get water before they get a new skin (first watering around june )In summertime the temperature in my greenhouse sometimes reach 50° C. With good ventilation this cause no problems.Most of my plants, I raised from seed wich I obtain from Professor Cole many years ago. He collected seeds in South Africa.
Here I have more problems with Conophytum wich I have to keep in small pots and even then it is not easy for me.       
Kris De Raeymaeker
from an ancient Roman settlement near the Rupel
Belgium

"even the truth is very often only perception"

"Small plants make great friends"

krisderaeymaeker

« Reply #271 on: October 06, 2010, 06:56:47 PM »
Cohan,Darren and Rogan maybe you also like this plants? 

First two pictures , Lapidaria margarethae
Picture 3 & 4 ,Conophytum.
Kris De Raeymaeker
Belgium

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #272 on: October 06, 2010, 10:59:17 PM »
Cohan,Darren and Rogan maybe you also like this plants? 

First two pictures , Lapidaria margarethae
Picture 3 & 4 ,Conophytum.

of course we do :) lapidaria is sometimes available in mainstream garden centres, as are (badly overfed/overwatered) lithops...i have never seen a cono though....

Darren

« Reply #273 on: October 07, 2010, 08:17:01 AM »
I do indeed like the lapidaria Kris. It is a very well grown plant too - as Cohan says.

Thank you for describing your growing conditions too. I have a theory that I can grow the winter growing Mesembs (including argyroderma and other highly succulent genera) quite well because the winter atmosphere in my greenhouse is very damp (it leaks at the ridge too). Whilst none of the drips touch the plants the atmosphere is often quite wet all winter. Fine for the conos but I wonder if this prevents the lithops from absorbing their old leaves properly?  That said - I know other growers in NW England who have no problems. Otherwise my growing conditions are very similar to yours except I do apply a little shading in april/may to prevent the conos scorching and the bulbs from going dormant too soon.

I would really like to solve this problem as I keep looking at the Hammer book wistfully! I've also had some advice from growers on the BCSS forum and I now have some smalll seedlings to experiment with.

Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

Rogan

• Beetle daisy
« Reply #274 on: October 07, 2010, 08:35:06 AM »
Kris, your plants are fantastic - a real master!   8)
Rogan Roth, near Swellendam, Western Cape, SA
Warm temperate climate - zone 10-ish

krisderaeymaeker

« Reply #275 on: October 07, 2010, 07:26:55 PM »
Thank you Cohan ,Darren and Rogan for your nice comments .

Thank you for describing your growing conditions too. I have a theory that I can grow the winter growing Mesembs (including argyroderma and other highly succulent genera) quite well because the winter atmosphere in my greenhouse is very damp (it leaks at the ridge too). Whilst none of the drips touch the plants the atmosphere is often quite wet all winter. Fine for the conos but I wonder if this prevents the lithops from absorbing their old leaves properly?

Darren , I suppose this might be a reason for some problems you have with cultivation of Lithops.
Reading your growingconditions let me understand much better what is my problem regarding  growing Cono's and relatives .
Altough I have better results in the past years with Cono's .I think due the fact I give more and later water.And your theory is a perfect confirmation Darren ! 
Kris De Raeymaeker
Belgium

Darren

« Reply #276 on: October 08, 2010, 08:17:30 AM »
Hi Kris,

One of the reasons I grow so many conos is that they can have almost the same watering regime as my bulbs so it is easy to remember :)

They get a complete summer dormancy (april until late july/early August). Then a good watering in august to wake them up. After this I do not let them get completely dry again until the following april. At this time of year (september to november) they get watered every two weeks - more in a sunny autumn. I let them get a drier in december to february. March and early april I water them again before stopping completely in late April.  They are all housed in 6 or 7.5 cm plastic pots which do dry out quickly. Some species make useful indicator plants as they wrinkle a little when dry at the roots - then I know to water the whole lot. I do find that conos like a lot more water than most succulents. There are exceptions - the real xerophytes like the Opthalmophyllums and C maughanii, C ratum etc easily get bloated and 'stack' if they get too much water. My guess is you would find these the easier conos in your conditions?

Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

krisderaeymaeker

« Reply #277 on: October 08, 2010, 08:05:47 PM »
Hi Kris,
One of the reasons I grow so many conos is that they can have almost the same watering regime as my bulbs so it is easy to remember :)
They get a complete summer dormancy (april until late july/early August). Then a good watering in august to wake them up. After this I do not let them get completely dry again until the following april. At this time of year (september to november) they get watered every two weeks - more in a sunny autumn. I let them get a drier in december to february. March and early april I water them again before stopping completely in late April.  They are all housed in 6 or 7.5 cm plastic pots which do dry out quickly. Some species make useful indicator plants as they wrinkle a little when dry at the roots - then I know to water the whole lot. I do find that conos like a lot more water than most succulents. There are exceptions - the real xerophytes like the Opthalmophyllums and C maughanii, C ratum etc easily get bloated and 'stack' if they get too much water. My guess is you would find these the easier conos in your conditions?

Many thanks Darren .This is very usefull .This is the main  reason to be on this forum 8) I think I must water my Conos a bit more ,especially in wintertimes..
I used to have Opthalmophyllums but at the moment I have not any....
Here I have a greenhouse and not an alpine house...At the beginning I used it only for cacti ,succulents, mesembs ...Afterwards I became interested in alpines , Cyclamen , other bulbs , orchids ....And now I search a method to grow everything in the same greenhouse.But offcourse I am a little bit to demanding...     
Kris De Raeymaeker
Belgium

krisderaeymaeker

« Reply #278 on: October 09, 2010, 08:02:36 PM »
A very flat cactus .This one grows very ,very ,very slow.When in flower you even can't find the body of the cactus.
Ariocarpus kotschoubeyanus and kotschoubeyanus albiflorus.
I have bot raised this from seed in the late eighties...
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 08:14:28 PM by krisderaeymaeker »
Kris De Raeymaeker
Belgium

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #279 on: October 10, 2010, 05:27:46 AM »
A very flat cactus .This one grows very ,very ,very slow.When in flower you even can't find the body of the cactus.
Ariocarpus kotschoubeyanus and kotschoubeyanus albiflorus.
I have bot raised this from seed in the late eighties...

i have not seen the albiflorus form, i like it even more than the usual one!

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #280 on: October 11, 2010, 12:38:31 AM »
Kris do you have a picture of the cactus without the flower. It's hard to imagine what it could look like. :D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #281 on: October 11, 2010, 09:40:50 AM »
I'd love to see a photo of a plant, too...... I believe they look a bit like rosulate violas......little pads of leaves, close to the ground.  :-\
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

krisderaeymaeker

« Reply #282 on: October 11, 2010, 05:26:48 PM »
Offcourse ladies ,I show you some details of this Ariocarpus.
You must know that they grow with te top of the plant just below the surface on their natural habitat in Mexico.
When not in flower you are not able to find the plants.If grow well in cultivation they also go down into the pot.  
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 06:16:26 PM by krisderaeymaeker »
Kris De Raeymaeker
Belgium

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #283 on: October 11, 2010, 06:43:08 PM »
What extraordinary little plants! Great rosettes and beautiful markings.

They must be very shy to hide away as they do! ;)

Thanks for these pictures, Kris....most interesting for me and others  who haven't seen these in real life. 
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #284 on: October 11, 2010, 07:58:37 PM »
My warm thanks too Kris. What odd little plants. It must take an extraordinarily sharp eye to spot them in the wild when they live in such a disguised way, especially the first species. Like spotting a four-leafed clover; nothing different really, just a slight break in the usual pattern.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal