We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: "Fat Plants" : cacti,succulents, caudiciforms, whatever..  (Read 190004 times)

Alberto

Re: "Fat Plants" : cacti,succulents, caudiciforms, whatever..
« Reply #165 on: May 25, 2010, 08:22:10 PM »
:-X :-X :-X
I am really glad you are without words!  ;D ;D ;D
Alberto
North of Italy
where summers are hot and dry and winters are cold and wet
http://picasaweb.google.com/albertogrossi60

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #166 on: May 25, 2010, 08:23:26 PM »
Talking is Silver ....silence is Gold  ;D
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

Carlo

• BirdMan and Botanical Blogger
    • BotanicalGardening.com
« Reply #167 on: May 25, 2010, 08:23:46 PM »
Point of order: There is ALWAYS room for more Tillandsias! I grow many (but not as many as I'd like...), and have great success just laying them around the growing area--no pots, no soil/potting mix--nothing.

Three or four species are blooming under lights as we speak. Most are smaller plants but several are approaching the size of small shrubs. Can't possibly get enough of them!
Carlo A. Balistrieri
Vice President
The Garden Conservancy
Zone 6

Twitter: @botanicalgarden
Visit: www.botanicalgardening.com and its BGBlog, http://botanicalgardening.com/serendipity/index.php

Alberto

« Reply #168 on: May 25, 2010, 08:28:57 PM »
Point of order: There is ALWAYS room for more Tillandsias!
Carlo I am completely agree with you! a few are really striking and they come from  so different zones that there is always one for everybody! One also for Hans!

Alberto
North of Italy
where summers are hot and dry and winters are cold and wet
http://picasaweb.google.com/albertogrossi60

ruweiss

« Reply #169 on: May 25, 2010, 10:17:48 PM »
Got this Disophyllum "Frühlingserwachen" as a present from a friend.
Enjoy!
Rudi Weiss,Waiblingen,southern Germany,
climate zone 8a,elevation 250 m

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #170 on: May 25, 2010, 10:28:08 PM »
Disophyllum "Frühlingserwachen" ..... never saw it before.... what great colours  :)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #171 on: June 16, 2010, 11:52:58 PM »
It's YOUR fault! Yes it is, all of you. I had not the slightest intention of trying to grow cacti but having been following this thread with its beautiful pictures, it was inevitable yesterday when I walked into the supermarket and found these little babies in the plant section, I would succumb to temptation. ::)

They are all tiny plants (the pots are just 4cms across) and there are no labels, so can someone give me names for any or all of them please? There were maybe 15 different species, all just a couple or 3 plants of each so I may make a return trip today.

Next, I'll need some cultivation tips please. Three already have roots out the bottoms of the pots. Would they be OK on my kitchen windowsill? It gets sun in the morning and the room is generally warm, with a bit of humidity in the evening when I'm cooking, but generally, well aired. Thanks.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #172 on: June 17, 2010, 01:15:32 AM »
It's YOUR fault! Yes it is, all of you. I had not the slightest intention of trying to grow cacti but having been following this thread with its beautiful pictures, it was inevitable yesterday when I walked into the supermarket and found these little babies in the plant section, I would succumb to temptation. ::)

They are all tiny plants (the pots are just 4cms across) and there are no labels, so can someone give me names for any or all of them please? There were maybe 15 different species, all just a couple or 3 plants of each so I may make a return trip today.

Next, I'll need some cultivation tips please. Three already have roots out the bottoms of the pots. Would they be OK on my kitchen windowsill? It gets sun in the morning and the room is generally warm, with a bit of humidity in the evening when I'm cooking, but generally, well aired. Thanks.

congratulations! these all look very nice grown;
as for your kitchen window, it depends--in the north, we usually aim for a south or west facing window, unobstructed, and right next to the window, for the high light demanding c+s, which i'd say these all look to be--so that means direct midday sun or afternoon sun, usually; morning only light is usually not as strong, and not enough for many plants..but it does depend on other factors, such as size of window, and what is outside it--something that absorbs or blocks light vs something that reflects it. also, how far from the equator you are, naturally, the stronger your sun is to start with, the fewer hours they plants will need....
also--you are heading into winter now? so these will want little to no water now until spring..most are probably fine in those pots, depending on the quality of the soil and how often you tend to water (in the growing season) if you were to repot now, you still wouldnt water....
i've made another version of your photo, with numbers beside each plant, to make it clearer who is naming what..
to start off, i will say that number 7, in the centre, looks like Mammillaria hahniana, maybe ssp woodsii number two looks like Notocactus (some have put all notos into Parodia, but i don't follow that) scopa(a really variable species, some forms have names, but not sure of their validity) number 4 also looks like Mammillaria, but its hard to say without closer view; no doubt others will be more sure, if some of our cactus growers stop by :) i also posted it at my c+s group for more input
some of the others i have ideas, but best to wait to be more sure...

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #173 on: June 17, 2010, 03:16:59 AM »
lesley--some more suggestions--from brasil!

Hi Cohan!
1-Parodia chrysacanthion
6-Sulcorebutia mentosa (maybe)
7-Mammillaria hahniana (maybe)
4-Rebutia muscula or Aylostera albipilosa

Cheers,
           Helton
Sorocaba-SP-Brasil

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #174 on: June 17, 2010, 06:10:24 AM »
Thanks very much Cohan and ?Helton? I certainly didn't expect an answer from Brazil. ;D

Yes, we are just about at mid winter - shortest day this coming Monday.
My kitchen faces east and gets as much sun as in the sky, through one of those sort of box-like, hothouse windows. I can't wash the dishes at the window sink when the sun is there, it's too hot! So summer gets sun until about mid afternoon and for all the morning at this time of year.

From the equator? We are about 60kms (as the crow flies) south of the 45th parallel. Halfway between the equator and the south pole.

Thanks for the name suggestions. I may take closer pics of individuals later.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #175 on: June 17, 2010, 07:23:54 AM »
Thanks very much Cohan and ?Helton? I certainly didn't expect an answer from Brazil. ;D

Yes, we are just about at mid winter - shortest day this coming Monday.
My kitchen faces east and gets as much sun as in the sky, through one of those sort of box-like, hothouse windows. I can't wash the dishes at the window sink when the sun is there, it's too hot! So summer gets sun until about mid afternoon and for all the morning at this time of year.

From the equator? We are about 60kms (as the crow flies) south of the 45th parallel. Halfway between the equator and the south pole.

Thanks for the name suggestions. I may take closer pics of individuals later.
sounds like your kitchen window is probably very good for these plants :) winter sun is of course less crucial for most cacti which are summer growers mostly, or spring and fall if summer is very hot..
you can also google any of the names given, to look for photos to compare your plants to--just keeping in mind they could be variable taxa..

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #176 on: June 17, 2010, 10:39:11 AM »
I'm intrigued to see that Lesley has been  won over and has offered  to adopt these  spiky babies  ;D

Fantastic example of cross group co-operation from cohan and Heldon in their advice.... thanks, Folks, for your friendly help!  :-* :-*
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #177 on: June 17, 2010, 09:44:31 PM »
It's great, isn't it Maggi? Only person unhappy in this whole affair was the supermarket lad at the checkout, who got his fingers spiked a couple of times. (I did warn him to handle them carefully, well down on the pots.)

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #178 on: June 18, 2010, 03:32:37 AM »
some more input, from nebraska, this time:

My guess, I think Helton may be right on 1, 4, 6 & 7, at first I thought
wrong on Rebutia/Lobivia mentosa, all I've had are more red spined, but
they do come in a black spine too.  Two looks like my Notocactus
erubescens and it came from WalMart too.  #3 could be an Escobaria, does
look similar to many, but I was thinking of some way out hybrid with
Mammillaria carmenae, #5 sure looks like about half the Mammillaria
compressa I have, the spines can be variable and they are common.  I hope
this helps some.
God Bless and Good Growing,
Dan Rhoads - Lincoln, NE - USDA Zone 5b

ruweiss

« Reply #179 on: June 18, 2010, 09:48:19 PM »
Now flowering with me:
Rechsteineria is a Gesneriad of tropical origin. It needs a frost-free shelter in winter but enjoys
a place in full sun without cover, the caudex can grow to an impressive size.
I place the Escobarias from October to March in the unheated Alpine House without any watering
and the rest of the year in a frame in full sun without cover.

Rechsteineria leucotricha.jpg
003.jpg
Escobaria organensis.jpg
Escobaria sneedii.jpg
011.jpg
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 10:00:06 PM by Maggi Young »
Rudi Weiss,Waiblingen,southern Germany,
climate zone 8a,elevation 250 m

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal