We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: "Fat Plants" : cacti,succulents, caudiciforms, whatever..  (Read 189907 times)

cohan

• forest gnome
Re: "Fat Plants" : cacti,succulents, caudiciforms, whatever..
« Reply #120 on: February 22, 2010, 07:57:57 PM »
my summer is also not reliable for most c+s outdoors, no greenhouse yet, so they are all in the house full time..

i haven't tried brevicaule, but have heard it is often on a suicide mission ;) it seems it may also depend on the individuals--i have some friends who have tried and failed, and now are doing very well with plants from a particular seed batch a friend raised; he is trying to pollinate the seedlings of that batch now, in hopes to get more seed of strong individuals...

maggiepie

« Reply #121 on: February 22, 2010, 08:10:28 PM »

I like caudiciforms anyway but the disadvantage is they need heat(much heat )in winter.

I better not even think about them then, the thermostat in my house is set around 16-18C during winter.

Btw, your lady is very fortunate that you show such consideration. My poor other half has to put up with living in a jungle during the winter months.
Trays of seedlings and plants everywhere. :)
Helen Poirier , Australia

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #122 on: February 23, 2010, 08:18:56 AM »

I like caudiciforms anyway but the disadvantage is they need heat(much heat )in winter.

I better not even think about them then, the thermostat in my house is set around 16-18C during winter.

Btw, your lady is very fortunate that you show such consideration. My poor other half has to put up with living in a jungle during the winter months.
Trays of seedlings and plants everywhere. :)

16-18C is fine for most species for winter(too cold for me, though...lol)--they are considered to want warmth relative to cactus collections, for example, which are often kept just above freezing in greenhouses over winter; things like adenium and pachypodium are dormant in winter, usually, and usually need to be above 10C as a minimum, though i have had them (a few, havent grown many as they tend to get too big) on windowsills which must have pushed that line on cold nights, though warmer in daytime..

maggiepie

« Reply #123 on: February 23, 2010, 12:54:14 PM »
Cohan, thanks for the clarification. I'm still finding my way with cold climate gardening.
I don't find 16-18 too bad, I just wear more jumpers  :)

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #124 on: February 23, 2010, 06:32:45 PM »
Cohan, thanks for the clarification. I'm still finding my way with cold climate gardening.
I don't find 16-18 too bad, I just wear more jumpers  :)

actually, since virtually all of our heat is from a woodstove, the temperature varies a lot from one room/spot to another, and depending at what stage the fire is, even with fans--so when i am sitting to watch tv it may not be much above your 16-18 at times, but the computer is very near the stove, so here its probably nearer 30 when the fire is going strong; ironically, its hardest to get a good temperature when its not very cold outside--too cold for no heat, but the stove quickly overheats, then if you start only a small fire, quickly burns down and start over ;)

maggiepie

« Reply #125 on: February 23, 2010, 06:58:05 PM »
Cohan, our computer room is usually the warmest room in the house, it's amazing how much heat a few computers can throw out.
I get what you are saying about warmth indoors when the temps rise outside, we are having that at the moment.
Am feeling colder inside now with +2 outside than I was when it was -16 outside. Doesn't make sense to me.
The 30 from the woodstove would just about kill me. I had never slept with a window closed even in winter until I came to Canada. Still find that difficult.

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #126 on: February 23, 2010, 07:06:19 PM »
Cohan, our computer room is usually the warmest room in the house, it's amazing how much heat a few computers can throw out.
I get what you are saying about warmth indoors when the temps rise outside, we are having that at the moment.
Am feeling colder inside now with +2 outside than I was when it was -16 outside. Doesn't make sense to me.
The 30 from the woodstove would just about kill me. I had never slept with a window closed even in winter until I came to Canada. Still find that difficult.

i'm good with heat, but don't like dry air-keep a pot of water on the stove, but its not nearly as drying as central heating--not weeping walls like we had in toronto ;) but still not bad..my sinuses shrivel when it gets too dry...lol
i tend to have plants on the majority of windows, so opening windows below 10C is not something i'd even consider,and then heat is hard won--either paid for or in this case (wood)earned with hard labour, so i'm not inclined to let it escape through open windows ;) however, this house was never finished properly, so there is plenty of ventilation...lol

krisderaeymaeker

• former president Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging  Flemish Rock Garden Club site and Forum
« Reply #127 on: February 23, 2010, 08:08:38 PM »
16-18C is fine for most species for winter(too cold for me, though...lol)--they are considered to want warmth relative to cactus collections, for example, which are often kept just above freezing in greenhouses over winter; things like adenium and pachypodium are dormant in winter, usually, and usually need to be above 10C as a minimum, though i have had them (a few, havent grown many as they tend to get too big) on windowsills which must have pushed that line on cold nights, though warmer in daytime..

This is exactly what I mean Cohan.The glasshouse where I keep my cacti is to cold for the caudiciforms.
(keep it frostfree no more ,no less) 
Few caudiciforms tolerate a 5 degrees Celcius in wintertime .
Try to post a few caudiciforms next season .By the end of may they will be moved to the glasshouse again and start to grow.By the end of september or in october they come back inside.
Kris De Raeymaeker
from an ancient Roman settlement near the Rupel
Belgium

"even the truth is very often only perception"

"Small plants make great friends"

pel1

• I am James, I grow pelargonium, SA bulbs, and more
« Reply #128 on: February 23, 2010, 09:08:07 PM »
There are at least a few caudiciforms that can survive the sort of temperatures found in the average frost-free cactus greenhouse, why not try some of the following-Dioscorea Elephantipes, Kedrostis Africanus, Pachypodium Succulentum and most of the tuberous Pelargonium species. There are probably many more!
North Kent, UK

krisderaeymaeker

• former president Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging  Flemish Rock Garden Club site and Forum
« Reply #129 on: February 23, 2010, 09:47:00 PM »
There are at least a few caudiciforms that can survive the sort of temperatures found in the average frost-free cactus greenhouse, why not try some of the following-Dioscorea Elephantipes, Kedrostis Africanus, Pachypodium Succulentum and most of the tuberous Pelargonium species. There are probably many more!

I agree with this list James .Dioscorea also stays in my greenhouse for the winter and even get some water in this period.There are more  ,Sarcocaulon e.g.
But Adenium and most of the Pachypodium must have 10 degrees anyway.
Kris De Raeymaeker
from an ancient Roman settlement near the Rupel
Belgium

"even the truth is very often only perception"

"Small plants make great friends"

pel1

« Reply #130 on: February 23, 2010, 09:52:50 PM »
I agree, Adenium, and anything from Madagascar, is very tender, it seems to do ok on my windowsill though.
North Kent, UK

pel1

« Reply #131 on: March 12, 2010, 06:19:56 PM »
Hi,
Could anyone out there spare a cutting of the unusual tuberous rooted cactus Opuntia chaffeyi ? I had one for many years but lost it to a mealy bug infestation, in return, I can offer cuttings from several nice pterocactus species.
Many thanks, James.
North Kent, UK

angie

« Reply #132 on: March 25, 2010, 12:22:33 PM »
Here are some caudiciforms Tylosema fassoglensis, phyllanthus mirabilis, 2 small dioscorea, Zygosicyos trichadenia, Pseudolithos migiurtinus,uncarina sp. and a  large Adenia Spinosa, I think this one will have to go to someone local ( post would be to expensive )
Sorry if spelling isn't right labels a bit faded, anyone interested please pm me,
Angie :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #133 on: March 25, 2010, 06:07:39 PM »
My cacti that spent all winter, down to -11c, are coming bck in to growth again. Only one fatality - so far.
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

ruweiss

« Reply #134 on: April 13, 2010, 09:22:41 PM »
Last Weekend our Cactus Club (www.vkw-kakteen.de) had his annual show with plant sale in
Korb near Stuttgart. We had many visitors during the two days who enjoyed the plants and took
the chance to obtain many plants offered by private and professional nursery people.
Gymnocalycium saglionis was about 60 years old and the Stenocactus about 35 years. Czech
nurserymen offered grafted Pachypodiums and showed the stock plants, the yellow one was
15 years old! Agave ferox starts to flower and the owner wonders how high it will grow.
Rudi Weiss,Waiblingen,southern Germany,
climate zone 8a,elevation 250 m

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal