We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: "Fat Plants" : cacti,succulents, caudiciforms, whatever..  (Read 189912 times)

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
Re: "Fat Plants" : cacti,succulents, caudiciforms, whatever..
« Reply #75 on: February 04, 2010, 09:11:20 PM »
Very interesting and fabulous pictures. When I was a student I had a small collection of cacti but gave it up when I moved my flat.
But I'm still fascinated.
Below 2 shots were made in a monastery in Corfu/Greece June 2009.
I think it is a Selenicereus sp.. It was the largest I've ever seen.
If you can ID and give a name I would be glad.

Best wishes
Armin

pel1

• I am James, I grow pelargonium, SA bulbs, and more
« Reply #76 on: February 05, 2010, 04:56:23 PM »
Nice photos-what a monster! I'm no selenicereus expert, but I'm sure those outgrowths on the stems will mean something to someone. Most of the selenicereus species will give you those spectacular flowers, but they need to be quite large, not easy in a flat!
regards, James
North Kent, UK

pel1

« Reply #77 on: February 05, 2010, 05:16:27 PM »
I was repoting my pterocactus collection today, and accidentally broke off the main stem from my p. skottsbergii (easily done I find), is any one looking for this unusal species? I would particularly like to swap it for a cutting of p.hickenii, megliolii, gonjianii or kuntzii "monstrose", but would possibly consider some sort of interesting bulb.
regards, James
North Kent, UK

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #78 on: February 05, 2010, 06:32:59 PM »
good stuff!
james-i like those pellies-i do like the shrubby ones too, would like to get a  basic zonal type species;
pterocactus are cool, would like to see more of your collection..

armin-the selenicereus is great--i don't know the species, but if you'd like to email me the photos, i could forward to people who might have more of an idea..

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #79 on: February 05, 2010, 10:15:55 PM »
Thanks Cohan - have e-mailed you ;)
Best wishes
Armin

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #80 on: February 06, 2010, 07:32:12 AM »
Thanks Cohan - have e-mailed you ;)

got them, i will let you know what  i hear..

pel1

« Reply #81 on: February 06, 2010, 08:22:26 PM »
Hi Cohan,
All my pterocactus photos are as prints and my scanner is playing up at the moment, as soon as I can peruade it to work again I will post some more pictures, as you can imagine, pterocacti arn't really worth photographing at this time of year!
I have just sown some seed that is supposed to be descended from a habitat collected plant of pelargonium zonale, the origional zonal species, so I could have some to spare later in the year, but I am not sure how we would stand re getting them to you? You might find that Silverhill sells seed of this one, also, the Geraniaceae Group has an excellent free seedlist, although unfortunately you have just missed this years distribution.
I am always interested to see your pics/swap info/exchange seeds cuttings etc of any species pelargonium-they are really addictive, so much variation in a single genus! (perhaps one of us should start a pelly thread?)
Below is a nice reniforme flowering at Kew last autumn;
North Kent, UK

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #82 on: February 06, 2010, 08:38:26 PM »
(perhaps one of us should start a pelly thread?)

12 pelly threads in the Forum already, James......  ;D
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #83 on: February 07, 2010, 07:05:16 AM »
Hi Cohan,
All my pterocactus photos are as prints and my scanner is playing up at the moment, as soon as I can peruade it to work again I will post some more pictures, as you can imagine, pterocacti arn't really worth photographing at this time of year!
I have just sown some seed that is supposed to be descended from a habitat collected plant of pelargonium zonale, the origional zonal species, so I could have some to spare later in the year, but I am not sure how we would stand re getting them to you? You might find that Silverhill sells seed of this one, also, the Geraniaceae Group has an excellent free seedlist, although unfortunately you have just missed this years distribution.
I am always interested to see your pics/swap info/exchange seeds cuttings etc of any species pelargonium-they are really addictive, so much variation in a single genus! (perhaps one of us should start a pelly thread?)
Below is a nice reniforme flowering at Kew last autumn;

do you grow all the pterocacti indoors? do they flower for you?
my entire relationshoip with pelargoniums is theoretical at the mometnt! seed will definitely be in order, but not this season :)

pel1

« Reply #84 on: February 07, 2010, 04:35:12 PM »
Maggi-thanks for the pointer, I have posted on the  "species Pelargoniums - OP" thread  in the hope of getting it going again. Do you think this thread would be more noticed in the "General forum" thread? 

Cohan-I grow all my pterocacti on the top shelf in a cool  greenhouse in as much light as I can give them, but so far my kuntzei is the only one large enough to flower reliably.
I got my scanner working again, so here are the rest of my plants, which ones do you grow?
North Kent, UK

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #85 on: February 07, 2010, 04:47:40 PM »
Maggi-thanks for the pointer, I have posted on the  "species Pelargoniums - OP" thread  in the hope of getting it going again. Do you think this thread would be more noticed in the "General forum" thread? 

No bother, James.... and I have moved the thread as you suggested... may catch a few more pelly fans!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #86 on: February 07, 2010, 08:43:21 PM »

Cohan-I grow all my pterocacti on the top shelf in a cool  greenhouse in as much light as I can give them, but so far my kuntzei is the only one large enough to flower reliably.
I got my scanner working again, so here are the rest of my plants, which ones do you grow?

cool plants--i esp like the australis..
i dont have any pteros yet, never had any access to plants, even in toronto, and haven't got around to trying seed yet-i've seen some on seedlists, but there were a lot of other things on my lists! no urgency, lots of seed already here to be sown of various things, more for outdoor plants, but aq few for inside with no clear idea of where they will go..lol ;
are all of these caudiciform? any that can be raised?

pel1

« Reply #87 on: February 07, 2010, 09:31:40 PM »
They all develop quite impressive fleshy roots which can be raised for effect, I will try and get a photo for you.
North Kent, UK

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #88 on: February 08, 2010, 12:09:14 AM »
They all develop quite impressive fleshy roots which can be raised for effect, I will try and get a photo for you.

cool--i have heard suggestions that most 'caudiciform' cacti don't respond well to having the roots raised, but wasn't sure how true it is..

pel1

« Reply #89 on: February 08, 2010, 01:46:09 PM »
I must admit I havn't tried this technique with any other genera, but it seems to do pteros no harm. Remember though, an English summer is probably a lot cooler than yours! I gues where you are you might run into problems with burning?
North Kent, UK

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal