We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Sparrowhawk Tarns, July 17/09  (Read 3218 times)

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
Re: Sparrowhawk Tarns, July 17/09
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2009, 01:20:44 PM »
Splendid pictures Lori !!!
Very nice of you to take us along on your hike through this beautiful scenery... and though it was up hill, I didn't even get out of breath once !  8)  ;D
Thanks a lot for showing !
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2009, 07:14:08 PM »
Thanks, all!
It looks like you intended to attach a map, Cohan, but it didn't come through... ?

lets see if i get it right this time--this time i put the full distance from the village i am nearest, its my route west into the mountains, following highway 11 til it reaches the Icefields Parkway, and we went north to Columbian Icefield..

the original url (below) is too long, here's tiny url:
http://tinyurl.com/mtha38

http://distancecalculator.globefeed.com/Canada_Distance_Result.asp?fromplace=Condor%20(Alberta)&toplace=Columbia%20Icefield%20(Alberta)&fromlat=52.333411379&tolat=52.158319737&fromlng=-114.552022726&tolng=-117.302291979

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2009, 05:50:24 AM »
Well, marginally do-able in a very long day (while there is lots of daylight) but, more reasonably, an overnighter for the furthest-north hike that I could recommend from experience... e.g. 4 hours to the Mosquito Creek hostel (for those who like that sort of thing - we stayed there once in winter - neat place!), then backtrack in the morning to the Helen Lake trailhead at Bow Lake... 
We have all the hiking guides... I'll browse around a bit.   
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2009, 08:15:07 AM »
Well, marginally do-able in a very long day (while there is lots of daylight) but, more reasonably, an overnighter for the furthest-north hike that I could recommend from experience... e.g. 4 hours to the Mosquito Creek hostel (for those who like that sort of thing - we stayed there once in winter - neat place!), then backtrack in the morning to the Helen Lake trailhead at Bow Lake... 
We have all the hiking guides... I'll browse around a bit.   

thats what i need to do is start picking up the hiking guides..
actually this page is what i was thinking of when i mentioned a list of hikes i had seen--excerpts from a book that i should look for..
http://www.trails.com/activity.aspx?area=10396
mostly not alpine territory, but some fairly high spots, and mostly not that far from me (a couple hours driving, more or less....)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal