We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Unknown Pieris  (Read 2589 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Unknown Pieris
« on: March 20, 2007, 07:08:49 PM »
I bought this Pieris about three years ago from Burncoose Nusery in Cornwall where it was said to be tender. It has thrived so far in this part of the mild South West of the UK, but I have lost the plant label and haven't a clue what variety it is. Can anyone help please??
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

charlotte

Re: Unknown Pieris
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 07:41:19 PM »
David,
As there are not too many pink Pieris I would venture a guess that it is P. japonica 'Valley Valentine'.  The RHS states the flowers are deep dusky red & white at the base. 
If you have The Garden, MAY 1996, you may be able to better identify the cultivar.
Hope this helps.

Charlotte
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 10:53:19 AM by Maggi Young »
Charlotte
Renaix, Belgium

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 07:57:59 PM »
Here's my Pieris japonica 'Valley Valentine'

Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 09:22:01 PM »
Charlotte, thanks for that. I don't have that copy of The Garden but I shall try to get hold of it.

Luc-our plants certainly look very similar.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 09:25:35 PM »
I think they might be the same David - yours seems to have its flowers slightly more advanced then mine at the moment the picture was taken - and light circumstances were different - but I do think they are the same.
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 09:59:08 PM »
What a stunner it is too. I wonder if it's in NZ?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal