We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Best Alpine mixtures  (Read 1341 times)

newstart

Best Alpine mixtures
« on: March 28, 2009, 10:04:17 PM »
Hi folks is it possible to use a 'final pot mix' to root cuttings and grow them on in. I am intending to send tot pots through post to people so would put two or three cuttings in a pot and throw the weakest one out after rooting.

Does this sound sensible as I am pretty new to alpines?

« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 02:11:53 PM by newstart »
David in Central England. Lots more still to learn!

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Best Alpine mixtures
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 04:12:37 PM »
Hi, newstart.... I have merged some of your threads together so that people can get a better idea of what you need to know.
For a good general potting compost,  here is a reply I made to another similar question....
I can tell you that we use the same mixture for our troughs with saxifragas as for others with alpines.... it is simply our general bulb mix, too!  http://www.srgc.org.uk/bulblog/log2007/260607/log.html

By volume: two parts gravel ( 6mm grit) one part leaf mould, two parts sand, we find many plants are very happy in this mix.

A search for "compost mix" using the forum search facility will bring you lots of references to composts for various applications.... such as this ine for John Innes compost... http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?action=pm
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 01:19:39 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal