We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Narcissus "Idol" seed sowing  (Read 440 times)

Jack Meatcher

Narcissus "Idol" seed sowing
« on: February 08, 2023, 04:55:47 PM »
I have a pot of N. calcicola "Idol" that flowered well in 2022 and produced seed pods. Once the pods had been produced and were starting to die down, I just bent the stems so that the pods could discharge their seed directly on to the surface grit. I watered the pot a few times as Summer went over. Early this year I discovered a mass of seedlings - in one place, grass-like.

The hot Autumn may have been a contributing factor but my Eureka moment was the realisation that the seeds had sown themselves by being washed between the grit topping. Previously, I have been sowing N. seeds under the compost. Perhaps that's why they have taken so long to germinate. Of course, seeds need oxygen as well as moisture to germinate so sitting on the surface of the compost but under the grit may be the optimum position.

I'm posting this in case others may find the thoughts helpful. Of course, some may find them "business as usual".

Jack M

The Learner

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
Re: Narcissus "Idol" seed sowing
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2023, 07:09:36 PM »
On the contrary - I always sow my narcissus seeds 3cm deep, without a problem, after research done by the Master Ian Young  :)
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal