We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Dodecatheon advice  (Read 718 times)

brianw

Dodecatheon advice
« on: March 03, 2021, 10:35:57 AM »
I have grown a plant of Dodecatheon, media (hybrid) presumably, in my garden for some years. This “was” on the NW side of the house, and really in too dry a position. I Think I even sent some seed one year to the AGS exchange, but other years it just fell where it was; until a couple of years ago. Never noticed any self sown plants. Last year was very dry here and it disappeared. Fortunately not before my last collection from it. Although I top dress it with organic material my underlying chalky soil is not really to its liking for pH or moisture. I currently have a large pan/bowl; 35cms in diam, 15cms deep. Full of plants. I had hoped some might flower last year; its second season, very healthy but no flowers. I keep it quite wet in a dish. This year it is just coming into growth.
When I have seen Dodecatheon flowering in the wild in the in Utah or Colorado, it has often been in a lush wet meadow, fighting for light, or as singletons on steep slopes in running snow melt surrounded by mud. Species?? Would now be a good time to knock out and divide into smaller clumps or would it be better to pot the whole thing on. I do have an even larger pan/bowl 50cms wide; which is about as big as I can handle, wet ;-) I have only top dressed it lightly with organic compost and fed it a little so far. I try to water only with rain water to keep it on the acid side.
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal