We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Helleborus 2021  (Read 9259 times)

Tristan_He

Re: Helleborus 2021
« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2021, 07:38:51 AM »
Most gardeners will not be impressed by this but it's the first time I've had Helleborus niger survive for more than 12 months! Albeit I've kept it in its 3" tube in a tray so is kept moist through the summer.
Helleborus niger 'Pink Flush' from Post Office Farm in Ashbourne, a most remarkable place,
cheers
fermi

Always good to have something new going Fermi! Actually I don't find Helleborus niger at all easy - I think many UK gardeners don't, even though it's widely available. Maybe it dislikes wet winters here. Possibly it also needs quite a lime-rich environment? Anyway, I have never managed to keep it going in North Wales.

Cheers, Tristan

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #61 on: July 23, 2021, 09:11:40 AM »
Thanks, Tristan.
I think this one is destined for life in a container
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #62 on: July 23, 2021, 11:16:32 AM »
Last month our AGS Vic group paid a visit to Post Office Farm to see Peter and Cathryn.
Peter welcomed our group and had some special plants selected for us to purchase.
Including new seedlings raised from the Japanese cultivar 'Cleopatra', a new range in Helleborus x hybridus, and the rarely sold Helleborus thibetanus,
cheers
fermi
« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 11:19:10 AM by fermi de Sousa »
Victoria, Australia

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2021, 11:35:06 AM »
Peter and Cathryn  took us for a "behind the scenes" look at the nursery including the seed raising area
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2021, 11:43:47 AM »
In the growing-on area they evaluate plants that may appear a bit different.
Like gold-leaf Helleborus niger
and oak-leaf forms
and doubles
and variegated Helleborus lividus
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2021, 11:53:11 AM »
In the stock and breeding poly-house there were many stunning plants including a beautiful double white with spotted maroon centre.
Also the parent Helleborus thibetanus,
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2021, 11:54:55 AM »
Gesundheit!
Victoria, Australia

Jeffnz

« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2021, 11:09:30 PM »
Fermi
Peter has a breeding programme to rival the best in the world. Visted him many years back and even then he was well on his way to developing many unique doubles. He has sourced breading stock from leading breeders/
Helleborus . hybridus doubles???
Jeff

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #68 on: July 24, 2021, 08:23:49 AM »
Actually I don't find Helleborus niger at all easy - I think many UK gardeners don't, even though it's widely available. Maybe it dislikes wet winters here. Possibly it also needs quite a lime-rich environment? Anyway, I have never managed to keep it going in North Wales.

Also here H.niger can be shortlived, or else I have had bad luck. But it seeds around so there are always new plants so I don't mind.
If H. x hybridus would die so easily that would be upsetting, but I'm so happy they grow better:).

Thank you for showing pictures from your visit to Helleborus breeder, there are great looking plants there!
Leena from south of Finland

Leena

« Reply #69 on: December 28, 2021, 10:40:40 AM »
How old are the oldest clumps of your Helleborus x hybridus?
Do you think they need to be divided from time to time, or can they grow for many decades?
This is my biggest H.x hybridus, planted as a seedling ten years ago, and every year it just gets bigger and bigger. I'm wondering if there comes a time when it is "too" old, and starts to set back?
Picture is from last May, now they are all under snow.

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #70 on: December 28, 2021, 11:13:44 PM »
Fermi - great images from the AU nursery. 
Not that I'm a big fan of them but the forms with variegated foliage have an interesting look.
All those seedling pots made me feel sorry I didn't sow any last summer; Helleborus are so delightful to grow from seeds, but then one would have to open a nursery :)

How old are the oldest clumps of your Helleborus x hybridus?
Do you think they need to be divided from time to time, or can they grow for many decades?
This is my biggest H.x hybridus, planted as a seedling ten years ago, and every year it just gets bigger and bigger. I'm wondering if there comes a time when it is "too" old, and starts to set back?
Picture is from last May, now they are all under snow.

My oldest Helleborus x hybridus is only 5 years old, but as large as your beautiful yellow. It was an extremely vigorous seedling and it looked gigantic from the first year.
This doesn't answer your question though. But I've seen very old H. x hybridus in a garden, maybe 20 years at least and they were doing perfectly well.
I don't think they need to be divided like other perennials. But it would be interesting to hear what other people who have old specimens have to say on the subject.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Leena

« Reply #71 on: December 29, 2021, 03:42:30 PM »
My oldest Helleborus x hybridus is only 5 years old, but as large as your beautiful yellow. It was an extremely vigorous seedling and it looked gigantic from the first year.
This doesn't answer your question though. But I've seen very old H. x hybridus in a garden, maybe 20 years at least and they were doing perfectly well.
I don't think they need to be divided like other perennials. But it would be interesting to hear what other people who have old specimens have to say on the subject.

Gabriela, you must have a perfect spot for your big Helleborus, mine grow much slower. And it must be a very good seedling, too.

I'm looking forward to hearing more experiences with old specimens:).

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal