We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Woodwardia unigemmata  (Read 5720 times)

Véronique Macrelle

Woodwardia unigemmata
« on: December 23, 2019, 10:50:53 AM »
my Woodwardia unigemmata (2nd winter in open ground) produces 3 bulbils on its fronds. these are small fluffy balls of 3 to 5 mm.
 do you know how to make them become a fern? how to propagate this fern from the bulbils?
for now the leaves do not seem to suffer from the cold .. but it has only been - 6 ° C last week..
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 12:31:17 PM by Maggi Young »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Woodwardia unigemmata
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2019, 12:35:46 PM »
I would  remove the  bulbils  now  and pot them up, cover them lightly  with a  neutral ph substrate  and  put them somewhere  sheltered - I think they will sprout  in spring.  :-\
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Véronique Macrelle

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2019, 01:25:33 PM »
thank, Maggy

Véronique Macrelle

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2020, 05:30:50 PM »
here are the photos of Woodwardia: it has only been planted for 2 years, and is still small: only 3 leaves this year, one of which is 80 cm long.

then the few bulbils on the leaves

RoryOH

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2020, 02:41:59 PM »
Asplenium bulbiferum produces bulbils also. In the first pic you can see them attached and second pic is one detached waiting to be planted in a small pot. They take fairly easily.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 06:53:59 PM by Maggi Young »

Véronique Macrelle

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2020, 06:50:59 PM »
At the end of December, I cut the ends of the leaves and buried them in potting soil.
today, I went to see a little underground, it seems to me that the bulblets thicken..

Véronique Macrelle

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2022, 06:13:08 AM »
finally 2 years later, by trial and error, i found how to do it.
 of course the fronds are now fuller, and the bulblets a bit thicker too but the Woodwardia ( 5 nice fronds) is not yet mature enough to make spores.

It is better to leave the bulblet on the frond and treat it as a marcotte, which it probably does naturally.
 But the production of the new fern is accelerated if I bury the bulblet in a pot of potting soil. another method according to a fern grower, is to bury the bulblets under some plant material. But according to him it takes longer than germinating spores!

however, my little bulbils, which I put in a pot of potting soil in october, are now swollen to about 3 cm, blond in colour as far as I can see, and are developing nice roots.
I cut off the ends of the fronds: they have been free for 1 week.
2 out of 3 are starting a new leaf.

ruweiss

Heat tolerance of ferns
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2023, 08:03:26 PM »
We had again very hot temperatures in this summer which resulted in a scorched group
of Matteuccia struthiopteris and never thought, that they would recover. But the plants did
so to our astonishment and we could watch new growth after a rainy period. Phyllitis scolopendrium
did not mind the hot weather and loked good as ever; so did also more of the ferns in our garden.
Rudi Weiss,Waiblingen,southern Germany,
climate zone 8a,elevation 250 m

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal