We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cross Canada trip Toronto to Vancouver  (Read 1341 times)

mickyt

Cross Canada trip Toronto to Vancouver
« on: September 18, 2018, 06:44:20 PM »
In June my brother and I are planning to cross Canada by motorhome starting at Toronto and finishing at Vancouver.We will be travelling mainly on the Trans Canada highway parallel with the American border.I was wondering if any of the Canadian or other members have any information regarding places of botanical interest off route so I can plan visits.The trip is envisaged to last six to eight weeks so we have ample time to go off route.   

Cheers Michael     

brianw

Re: Cross Canada trip Toronto to Vancouver
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 09:37:22 PM »
You could contact some of the Nargs groups in the region for local information and check where people like Greentours routes go. I used a Greentours Ontario route and sites that they recommended with great success a few years ago. The Bruce peninsular is interesting. The east and west coast regions are often mentioned on plant discussion groups but the rather large section in the centre gets less publicity, except maybe the Banff area.
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 07:38:29 AM »
Right at the start of your trip, visit the Royal Botanical Gardens (RBG) in Hamilton.
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 09:35:22 PM »
If you are interested in cypripediums and sarracenia the Bruce Peninsular is wonderful particularly towards its end at Tobermory
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

bibliofloris

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2018, 04:09:42 PM »
I haven’t been recently, but the VanDusen Botanical Gardens was my favorite in Vancouver: http://vandusengarden.org/

There are a number of great gardens in the Seattle, WA area as well, but that’s about four hours south of Vancouver...
Kelly Jones
near Seattle, Washington state, USA (US zone 8b)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal