We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Primula 2018  (Read 22825 times)

bibliofloris

Re: Primula 2018
« Reply #60 on: October 15, 2018, 12:45:35 AM »
A nice surprise: Primula vulgaris ssp. sibthorpii DJHT 0133 — flowering again in October?
This one’s new to me this year from Windcliff (Dan Hinkley’s current endeavor), so I don’t know if it’s usual or not; he lists it as blooming January through March.

Apparently the slugs are enjoying it too...
Kelly Jones
near Seattle, Washington state, USA (US zone 8b)

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #61 on: December 17, 2018, 12:59:05 PM »
Some Primulas from last May in my garden.
The first yellow ones are grown from 'Jessica' seeds, but they don't have the same leaves or flowers than the original 'Jessica', however they flower very well for me.
In the second  picture in the foreground there is a nice Spice Shades group plant which I have grown from SRGC seed exchange seeds as well as also 'Fireflies' and Indian Red Group plants, thank you so much whoever donated the seeds.
The last picture is of an old nameless Primula which does well here.
Leena from south of Finland

Leena

« Reply #62 on: December 17, 2018, 01:01:01 PM »
Barnhaven Polyanthus 'Paris 90' seeds have given white, blue and mixed shades plants, all very nice.
Also 'Daybreak' does well in my garden.

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2018, 12:06:16 AM »
A nice surprise: Primula vulgaris ssp. sibthorpii DJHT 0133 — flowering again in October?
This one’s new to me this year from Windcliff (Dan Hinkley’s current endeavor), so I don’t know if it’s usual or not; he lists it as blooming January through March.
Apparently the slugs are enjoying it too...

Unusual colour for a sibthorpii, very nice; forms of vulgaris and especially hybrids have the tendency to reflower if it's a warm fall.

One of my polyantha also tried to do it but then a cold snap stopped its enthusiasm.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #64 on: December 18, 2018, 12:08:37 AM »
Some Primulas from last May in my garden.
The first yellow ones are grown from 'Jessica' seeds, but they don't have the same leaves or flowers than the original 'Jessica', however they flower very well for me.
In the second  picture in the foreground there is a nice Spice Shades group plant which I have grown from SRGC seed exchange seeds as well as also 'Fireflies' and Indian Red Group plants, thank you so much whoever donated the seeds.
The last picture is of an old nameless Primula which does well here.

Beautiful Leena! And how very nice to remember the spring days at this time of year :)
I like the 'Daybreak' pastel shades.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #65 on: December 18, 2018, 08:59:37 AM »

Surely just a hybrid Primula, my garden's full of 'em!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Leena

« Reply #66 on: December 18, 2018, 04:27:53 PM »
I like the 'Daybreak' pastel shades.

Thank you Gabriela, me too. I tried to look for seeds from it, but couldn't find any, or I was looking at the wrong time, and then autumn rains came and seed pods got bad.

forms of vulgaris and especially hybrids have the tendency to reflower if it's a warm fall.

Also my Indian reds plants had some fall flowers this year (it was a strange summer and all year), and this polyanthus Grand Canyon has flowers in November 1st with Colchicums in the background.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal