We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Primula 2018  (Read 22857 times)

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
Re: Primula 2018
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2018, 08:57:39 PM »
Do I assume that Dodecatheon is still in Primula?

I've grown the following from seed but I wonder if the names are correct? If anyone can help please it would be much appreciated.

Latest works on the genera placed Dodecatheon in Primula David, but don't worry it will be quite some time until the names will be changed. I also have no intention to do it, yet.
Waiting for someone to put them back in Dodecatheon  ;D

Cannot really help with the names, only the one you said pulchellum is most probably not. I also have one grown from AGS seedex that needs to be ID - most probably D. meadia as well (came as Primula parryi !!!!).
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2018, 06:44:17 AM »
Primula sieboldii from Barnhaven. In the front there is a plant grown from 'Manakoora' seeds, a very nice blue shade I think.
Behind it is a taller plant from 'Dancing Ladies' -seed mix which produces some white and some pinkish plants, all with frilly petals.
P.sieboldii likes to grow in my garden, but I have trouble with many other Primulas which don't like my soil, so I'm very happy to see Primula waltonii in flower for the first time ever for me. I hope it will grow bigger in the future years. It is the third picture.
Ian wrote very wise words in last weeks bulb log about growing plants which will grow well in my conditions. P.sieboldii grows well but P.japonica doesn't (though it grows well in my mother's garden in middle Finland).
Leena from south of Finland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2018, 10:53:42 AM »
Interesting  what you say, Leena - Primula sieboldii does not  do well here at all! :'(
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2018, 02:14:57 PM »
Primula sieboldii does well here.  A friend has grown many from seed, I show three he's chosen for further consideration.  The first two are very vigorous.

john
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 03:21:20 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Claire Cockcroft

« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2018, 04:56:40 PM »
Where the primula grow well is very interesting.  In my garden, the generally cool Pacific Northwest, P. japonica, sieboldii, and candelabra crosses are rampant spreaders.  P. florindae flourished at one time but has been shaded out.  I need to find a better place for the seedlings that are left.
...Claire
Claire Cockcroft
Bellevue, Washington, USA  Zone 7-8

sokol

« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2018, 07:20:06 AM »
Any idea about this dark Primula?

And a red Primula florindae

619054-1
Stefan
Southern Bavaria, zone 7a

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2018, 11:56:58 AM »
Any idea about this dark Primula?

It has a look of a very dark  Primula poissonii about it. Wonder if it  has hybridised?

Claire Cockcroft

« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2018, 10:32:02 PM »
The dark one looks like Primula wilsonii var. anisodora.
...Claire
Claire Cockcroft

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2018, 01:27:28 AM »
Very nice Primulas from all.
In my garden as well P. sieboldii 'Late Snow' seems to go rampant (almost) and P. japonica does well in a location where I do extra watering during dry periods.

I like all the forms in P. sieboldii, must try to grow more from seeds.

Just a regular pink, embedded in E. stellulatum.

Primula alpicola var. violacea does well this year and the fragrance is unbelievable.

This one was grown from seeds (as P. pulverulenta), I thought to be a P. japonica but seems a bit different; maybe a hybrid? Striking colour, my camera doesn;t show it well actually.

Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

sokol

« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2018, 08:44:42 AM »
The dark one looks like Primula wilsonii var. anisodora.
...Claire

Thanks Claire, this one makes sense. I have sown it in 2016 amongst others but the label has vanished.

I haven't sown Primula poissonii, Meggie but also thanks for the suggestion.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 12:44:41 PM by sokol »
Stefan
Southern Bavaria, zone 7a

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2018, 11:35:05 AM »
I'm confused -  the dark primula shown here  by Johnny D  does look like Primula wilsonii var. anisodora - http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=16459.0

Johnny D's  flower

but I am less convinced that sokol's "dark primula" with a yellow eye,   from a post earlier  on this page  is that.  :-\ :-\ :-\

sokol's flower

Claire Cockcroft

« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2018, 05:07:21 PM »
If you check Pam Eveleigh's Primula World website, you'll see that P. wilsonii has a yellow eye.  Some of its hybrids may not.
http://www.primulaworld.com/PWweb/photogallery.htm

...Claire

Claire Cockcroft

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2018, 06:11:51 PM »
If you check Pam Eveleigh's Primula World website, you'll see that P. wilsonii has a yellow eye.  Some of its hybrids may not.
http://www.primulaworld.com/PWweb/photogallery.htm

...Claire

Thanks Claire -  that was helpful, since there's a photo from David Rankiin of a plant showing both types of flower on the same stem!

from Primula World Site :

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2018, 03:10:42 PM »
Very nice primulas everyone  :), and I especially liked Gabriela's pictures growing Epimedium with Primula sieboldii. That gave me good inspiration where to plant my smaller Epimedium seedlings - they both seem to like the same kind of soil.
I'm also trying to grow different colored P.sieboldii, and now have more seedlings from seed ex seeds.

Where the primula grow well is very interesting.  In my garden, the generally cool Pacific Northwest, P. japonica, sieboldii, and candelabra crosses are rampant spreaders.  P. florindae flourished at one time but has been shaded out.  I need to find a better place for the seedlings that are left.

In my garden it is not so much the climate but my soil which somehow doesn't suit many candelabra Primulas, but P.sieboldii grows well and also P.florindae does well and doesn't die like P.japonica does. it is a mystery to me why I can't grow them ( I have gotten many plants from my mother's garden and killed all), in some places in my garden the soil is too much clay and too wet in the winter, and on the other hand in my woodland beds where even many Trilliums do quite well, P.japonica does not. So I've stopped trying to grow them (mostly) and try to grow different other kinds of Primula. Though I would love tall dark red candelabras!
Now I hope that P.alpicola and P.waltonii would do better for me.
Leena from south of Finland

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2018, 02:27:58 PM »
Ours is not the sort of garden where primulas thrive!
However I cannot resist them and these two have persisted through last summer to flower this spring - even if we do have to keep them in pots!
1) Primula kisoana alba from Jon B at last year's plant swap - a single stem last year and 4 this year
2) Gold-lace primula distributed by our friends Matt and Mike who run "Antique Perennials", a wholesale Nursery in Kinglake, which we bought from a local retail nursery
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal