We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Saxifraga 2017  (Read 25909 times)

ian mcdonald

Re: Saxifraga 2017
« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2017, 10:37:07 PM »
Gail, some of our native saxifrages have yellow flowers, S. aizoides and S. hirculus.

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #61 on: October 25, 2017, 11:36:39 PM »
Ian, I am trying so hard not to get interested in yet another genera and that does not help  :)
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2017, 09:44:27 AM »
Ian, I am trying so hard not to get interested in yet another genera and that does not help  :)

But they're at their best when there isn't much else out............. go on, give 'em a try ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2017, 09:41:16 PM »
But they're at their best when there isn't much else out............. go on, give 'em a try ;D
A Japanese neighbour in the village was wondering what to grow in her shady front garden so I think a joint collection is a possibility....
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2017, 10:39:46 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Jan Tholhuijsen

« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2017, 08:06:17 PM »
Last week, a received address from Gerrit, an ordinary plant nursery https://tinyurl.com/y7qxweea
Likewise, these saxifragas ordered.
I still have a nice shady place to plant them. As David says,
But they're at their best when there isn't much else out............. go on, give 'em a try
so I'm going to try it.

Saxifraga cortusifolia 'Beni Tsukasa'
Saxifraga cortusifolia 'Cotton Crochet'
Saxifraga cortusifolia 'Shiranami'
Saxifraga fortunei 'Gokka'
Saxifraga cortusifolia 'Cheap Confections'
Saxifraga cortusifolia 'Rokujo'
Saxifraga fortunei 'Gelbes Monster'

593836-0

593838-1

593840-2

593844-3

593846-4

« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 08:08:44 PM by Jan Tholhuijsen »
You are never to old to learn.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #66 on: November 01, 2017, 08:24:20 PM »
Nice selection, Jan.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Carolyn

« Reply #67 on: November 01, 2017, 08:49:33 PM »
Jan,
Lovely choices! Most of these are ones I've been trying in the last couple of years. I think Shiranami is my favourite - sheer flower power! I made the mistake of planting Cotton Crochet out in the garden, only to discover that it is VERY late flowering. It is better grown in a pot in the greenhouse, so that you can enjoy the flowers in November while protecting them from the worst of the weather. The one I left outside has no flowers yet, the one I brought into the greenhouse a month ago has flower buds about to open. Maybe conditions are better for it in the Netherlands?
Carolyn McHale
Gardening in Kirkcudbright

Jan Tholhuijsen

« Reply #68 on: November 01, 2017, 10:09:34 PM »
Jan,
Lovely choices! Most of these are ones I've been trying in the last couple of years. I think Shiranami is my favourite - sheer flower power! I made the mistake of planting Cotton Crochet out in the garden, only to discover that it is VERY late flowering. It is better grown in a pot in the greenhouse, so that you can enjoy the flowers in November while protecting them from the worst of the weather. The one I left outside has no flowers yet, the one I brought into the greenhouse a month ago has flower buds about to open. Maybe conditions are better for it in the Netherlands?

I first try them in the garden. (no place in my small greenhouse, too many other saxifragas) Next year I will see what happened. Thank you for the advice.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 10:51:21 AM by Jan Tholhuijsen »

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #69 on: November 02, 2017, 07:23:10 PM »
Given that I'm probably getting on for 450 miles further South than Carolyn all of mine have been grown in the garden mixed in with a bed of small Rhododendrons in a raised bed.  The compost is 50% JI ericaceous and 50% composted bark with my fairly neutral garden soil probably a couple of feet deeper than the compost. I posted 'Shiranami' on 5 October in the early flowering stage and it is still flowering now as are the others. I'm just waiting for flowers to break on the remaining two clones.

You shouldn't have any trouble with them in your garden Jan although I think yours probably gets colder than mine.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Jan Tholhuijsen

« Reply #70 on: November 03, 2017, 11:07:55 AM »
Given that I'm probably getting on for 450 miles further South than Carolyn all of mine have been grown in the garden mixed in with a bed of small Rhododendrons in a raised bed.  The compost is 50% JI ericaceous and 50% composted bark with my fairly neutral garden soil probably a couple of feet deeper than the compost. I posted 'Shiranami' on 5 October in the early flowering stage and it is still flowering now as are the others. I'm just waiting for flowers to break on the remaining two clones.

You shouldn't have any trouble with them in your garden Jan although I think yours probably gets colder than mine.

Thank you for explaining, about the soil mix, David.
The Netherlands is generally Zone 7, in the south of the Netherlands it is more against Zone 8. (I think) So max between -7 and -17. But -17 has not been for a couple of years. Usually it is max -10 a-12 here.

Jan Tholhuijsen

« Reply #71 on: November 03, 2017, 11:22:52 AM »
The compost is 50% JI ericaceous and 50% composted bark with my fairly neutral garden soil probably a couple of feet deeper than the compost

Do I forget to ask, David, what is JI ericaceous?
I think that in the Netherlands is not for sale.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #72 on: November 03, 2017, 12:45:02 PM »
Jan, John Innes is actually a recipe for a mix of compost more information on which is below (I hope you are able perhaps to translate this)

https://www.gardeningdata.co.uk/soil/john_innes/john_innes.php

As you will see the original recipe was based on loam and peat. Good loam is virtually unavailable in the commercial market these days and the use of peat for horticultural purposes is now frowned upon and all kinds of things, some good but most very bad, are used as substitutes. Most of the available commercially obtainable John Innes style composts are notoriously bad but some good stuff can still be found from small independent manufacturers.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Jan Tholhuijsen

« Reply #73 on: November 03, 2017, 02:33:11 PM »
Jan, John Innes is actually a recipe for a mix of compost more information on which is below (I hope you are able perhaps to translate this)

https://www.gardeningdata.co.uk/soil/john_innes/john_innes.php

As you will see the original recipe was based on loam and peat. Good loam is virtually unavailable in the commercial market these days and the use of peat for horticultural purposes is now frowned upon and all kinds of things, some good but most very bad, are used as substitutes. Most of the available commercially obtainable John Innes style composts are notoriously bad but some good stuff can still be found from small independent manufacturers.

Thank you David for the website info.
  I buy from a small grower regularly a few bags (he calls it) white peat / loam mix. I mix that by Japanese split (2-6 mm grit) and coarse river sand. That is good for most gentiana and daphne. Perhaps I have to do some extra peat for these saxifragas?

Jan Tholhuijsen

« Reply #74 on: November 06, 2017, 07:04:50 PM »
Saxifraga cortusifolia var. fortunei 'Black Ruby'.

Planted spring 2017, stands in the moraine, all day full sun, but with wet feet. Photo 1
September photo 2
Today photo 3 and 4

594524-0

594526-1

594528-2

594530-3

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal