We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Hepatica 2017  (Read 49520 times)

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
Re: Hepatica 2017
« Reply #165 on: November 11, 2017, 01:01:03 AM »
Since we are talking Hepatica foliage, I don't think I showed a form I found two years ago. It wasn't in good shape, luckily the leaf was marbled and attracted my attention. It has recovered well in a pot and this fall I planted it in the ground.
I hope it will bulk up a bit so I can share it with friends. I call it Hepatica 'Butterfly' just because I need to call it somehow.

The flowers are not special, except the fact they have a longer than usual peduncle that gives them a drooping aspect, especially after rains. They also seem not to be fully functional reproductive. This I noticed  in other leaf forms of H. americana, some even have unisexuate flowers.

Hepatica 'Butterfly'

Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Peppa

• Always diggin'! :)
    • My Garden Blog
« Reply #166 on: November 11, 2017, 04:38:17 AM »
Since we are talking Hepatica foliage, I don't think I showed a form I found two years ago. It wasn't in good shape, luckily the leaf was marbled and attracted my attention. It has recovered well in a pot and this fall I planted it in the ground.
I hope it will bulk up a bit so I can share it with friends. I call it Hepatica 'Butterfly' just because I need to call it somehow.

(Attachment Link)

The flowers are not special, except the fact they have a longer than usual peduncle that gives them a drooping aspect, especially after rains. They also seem not to be fully functional reproductive. This I noticed  in other leaf forms of H. americana, some even have unisexuate flowers.

Hepatica 'Butterfly'
(Attachment Link)

That is interesting, Gabriela! I'm a big fan of interesting leaf forms and colors of Hepatica, too.

Here is one of my H. acutiloba: the new leaves come up very dark and then turn the normal green as the season goes.
Peppa

From the beautiful Pacific Northwest, USA,
where summer is mild and dry
but winter is dark and very wet...
USDA Zone 7b or 8 (depends on the year)
http://seattlepuppy.blog82.fc2.com

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #167 on: November 11, 2017, 11:11:56 AM »
Hepatica 'Butterfly'

Gabriela, Butterfly is indeed a suitable name!
Belgium

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #168 on: November 11, 2017, 02:25:29 PM »
Gabriela, your Butterfly is special!!  :) I also like Peppa's dark foliage.
Here are my H.japonica seedlings (sowm 2014), with some nice foliage markings, too. These have grown outside for the past two years so they are quite hardy, the biggest one even flowered last spring, but the flower was quite tiny compared to H.nobilis flowers.
Leena from south of Finland

GordonT

« Reply #169 on: November 11, 2017, 02:32:43 PM »
Nice seedlings, Leena.... I have not had luck with Hepatica seed. One day I hope to have some success germinating Hepatica. They would be such  a welcome addition to our woodland garden.
Southwestern Nova Scotia,
Zone 6B or above , depending on the year.

Gabriela

« Reply #170 on: November 11, 2017, 05:04:31 PM »
Thank you Peppa, Herman and Leena  :)

Peppa, very nice dark leaf! The one I showed has reddish/bronze foliage in the spring. It is also particular in forming the new leaves on the same time with the flowers, much earlier in the spring than others. The first image is taken on April 13, 2015, after a record cold winter in Ontario.

Since I am set on giving names, I call it H. acutiloba 'Rabbit's foot'  ;D You will see why.

594887-0

594889-1

594891-2
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Gabriela

« Reply #171 on: November 11, 2017, 05:08:54 PM »
Gabriela, your Butterfly is special!!  :) I also like Peppa's dark foliage.
Here are my H.japonica seedlings (sowm 2014), with some nice foliage markings, too. These have grown outside for the past two years so they are quite hardy, the biggest one even flowered last spring, but the flower was quite tiny compared to H.nobilis flowers.

Nice seedlings Leena! I hope they will do well for you. I am also trying to grow japonica from seeds; ready purchased plants perished after a bad winter.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Gabriela

« Reply #172 on: November 11, 2017, 05:11:57 PM »
Nice seedlings, Leena.... I have not had luck with Hepatica seed. One day I hope to have some success germinating Hepatica. They would be such  a welcome addition to our woodland garden.

I will put together some seedlings pictures in the afternoon for you Gordon. There is no reason not to be able to germinate any Hepatica; even dry kept seeds (short term) will germinate in some proportion.

So, here they are as an encouragement, with the note that some seeds will germinate in the second spring even if they were sown fresh/ kept moist.
First pictures - a container where I threw all leftover seeds or the ones I considered not good enough to sell.
594903-0
More - all H. americana, I used them as trades for other plants
594905-1
594907-2

Seeds from others - first H. transsilvanica from forumist Kris - thanks again.
594909-3

H. nobilis and japonica from another kind forumist. And there are more....
594911-4

I still have H. americana seeds (moist kept) - you are most welcome to try (pm please).
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 09:14:18 PM by Gabriela »
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal