We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: June 2016 in the Northern Hemisphere  (Read 23232 times)

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
Re: June 2016 in the Northern Hemisphere
« Reply #195 on: June 30, 2016, 11:36:59 AM »
A couple of Dactylorhiza from the garden today.  D. fuchsii(?) Edinburgh form and D. fuchsii var okellyi, a gift from the now elusive John Finch.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #196 on: June 30, 2016, 12:15:06 PM »
I'm not fooled - John  thought that o'kellyi was a fancy new snowdrop!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

François Lambert

« Reply #197 on: June 30, 2016, 12:27:34 PM »
Loverly flowers on the broad bean, I remember them fron when I was a kid, I hated them. Is it the runner bean which is the climber with the red flowers?

I love broad beans ... and grow my own stock every the year.  I have runner beans in white, red and all kinds of hybrids in between.  I started with white & red, but the pollinating insects decided that I should have very own hybrid species.  Even the colour and the spots on the beans get mixed.
Bulboholic, but with moderation.

François Lambert

« Reply #198 on: June 30, 2016, 12:29:16 PM »
the pictures were taken about a week ago - one one of those  rare sunny moments we had this month

François Lambert

« Reply #199 on: June 30, 2016, 12:51:28 PM »
The lovely miniature tigridia chiapensis - grown from seeds of the SRGC seed exchange  :)  Natural habitat are wet meadows, so the current wet June with it's daily rain provision suits them perfectly.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #200 on: June 30, 2016, 08:39:48 PM »
I'm not fooled - John  thought that o'kellyi was a fancy new snowdrop!

;D ;D
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

illingworth

« Reply #201 on: June 30, 2016, 09:07:01 PM »
Before June is gone I wanted to post a few photos of our garden.

Polygonatum odoratum 'Fireworks' is a favourite but slow to bulk up.

Paeonia veitchii alba is seed grown. Out of the 5 seeds  planted only one was white. The others were a very pale pink.

The Arisaema is consanguineum .  We think. Seed came from the ACE collection.
After the first plants matured and produced seed I planted it in 12x12 inch flats. Germination was nearly 100%, and rather than planting each seedling individually, the flats were emptied out on the ground without disturbance.  They prospered and proved to be fully hardy, surviving  with little snow cover at -30C for 3 weeks or more.
Rob and Sharon,
Our garden at http://www.flickr.com/photos/illingworth/
Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada

Roma

« Reply #202 on: June 30, 2016, 11:16:34 PM »
Tulipa sprengeri did not last long when the heavy rain came.  Now botrytis has set in and it looks a mess.
Aquilegias ready for dead heading (job now done).
Martagon lilies poised to take over the display
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Roma

« Reply #203 on: June 30, 2016, 11:25:24 PM »
Androsace lanuginosa always looks a mess in winter and takes up too much space but when it flowers I can forgive it and it flowers for a long time.
The thymes on the other hand have a brief flowering period but the bees love them.  These are self sown seedlings.
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #204 on: June 30, 2016, 11:40:06 PM »
I love broad beans ... and grow mhttp://www.srgc.net/forum/Smileys/classic/tongue.gify own stock every the year.  I have runner beans in white, red and all kinds of hybrids in between.  I started with white & red, but the pollinating insects decided that I should have very own hybrid species.  Even the colour and the spots on the beans get mixed.

But that doesn't matter does it Francois, so long as they all taste good. :P :P
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 11:43:04 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #205 on: July 01, 2016, 02:57:45 AM »
Before June is gone I wanted to post a few photos of our garden.

The Arisaema is consanguineum .  We think. Seed came from the ACE collection.
After the first plants matured and produced seed I planted it in 12x12 inch flats. Germination was nearly 100%, and rather than planting each seedling individually, the flats were emptied out on the ground without disturbance.  They prospered and proved to be fully hardy, surviving  with little snow cover at -30C for 3 weeks or more.

Love the way they look clump growing!
Have you tried 'breaking' the Polygonatum rhizome? I did it by chance with Polygonatum Spiral Staircase when I moved; I took it apart in 3-4 pieces, planted them in few pots and it started to multiply with the speed of light.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #206 on: July 01, 2016, 03:15:55 AM »
Rob - What a magnificent stand of Arisaema!  It would be great to hear which of the Arisaema spp. have proven hardy outdoors for you.

Wonder also if you have tried A. yamatense as here it is almost 4ft high?  I have to wonder if this is not what Barrie Porteous was growing long ago on Georgian Bay and which at the time was thought to be tortuousum or even robust?

john - extremely dry.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 02:02:56 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

François Lambert

« Reply #207 on: July 01, 2016, 11:56:58 AM »
But that doesn't matter does it Francois, so long as they all taste good. :P :P

one of those vegetables with high ornamental value and the other way round too :)

illingworth

« Reply #208 on: July 03, 2016, 12:31:17 AM »

John W asked >> It would be great to hear which of the Arisaema spp. have proven hardy outdoors for you.<<

We have a Flickr album which brings together our arisaema  photos over time.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/illingworth/albums/72157600052899390

When we first started with arisaemas we cheated quite a bit by growing the tubers in 5 inch square pots which were plunged early each season and lifted for storage after the first heavy frost. I drilled 16  holes 1 1/2 " in diameter in each pot to give the roots room to run once they were in the ground.  When lifted in the fall for winter storage I slipped the mother pot into one of the same size without extra holes after the plants had first dried off. The pots were stored in a cool cellar room until the plants either woke up on their own in spring or there was enough residual warmth in our hoop house to trot out the trays.  Eventually I became impatient with the routine, the time spent and the artifice and started trying a few plants directly outside in the open garden.  The Ace plants were out there early and quickly proved their hardiness. There is another ACE plant in the garden similar to consanguineum with a light green spathe that can grow to 1 m. in height. It hasn't really done that well here over winter in the garden and I think there is one still out there.  I have only two left in pots so maybe I should collect some seed and keep trying.

As for other plants A. flavum is hardy but does not emerge until after July 7th. We  have two varieties; a small yellow flowered one and one that is taller and slender. I consider both to be weeds as they really seed about. Our native Arisaema triphyllum also seeds everywhere but is easier to manage and I like the variation in the spathe colouring that they give.

Arisaema tortuosum has not been hardy.  Arisaema amurense robustum is hardy and grows well, seeding around but in the last few years the deer have taken a liking to them. A.fargesi has not been tested over winter yet as they have never produced seed. We get off sets but they take time to take hold and grow. Arisaema ringens is not hardy and sikokianum fades after a winter or two. I was totally surprised when Arisaema candidissimum wintered. It still hasn't emerged this year and I keep checking the spot hoping to be surprised again for the third time. Finally, I have some tubers of Arisaema urashima to grow on and will try to see if they overwinter once the tubers give me flowers and seed. 

We have not tried A. yamatense.

John, you wrote  >>I have to wonder if this is not what Barrie Porteous was growing long ago on Georgian Bay and which at the time was thought to be tortuousum or even robust?<<

Do you mean what we grow here as consanguineum? I may have sent seed of our plant to Ellen Hornig years back but I'm not certain.  Our original seed all came directly from the ACE distribution with only a collection number as an ID.

Thank you Gabriela for the suggestion to bulk up the the polygonatum rhizome. I'm going to follow your lead.

-Rob

Rob and Sharon,
Our garden at http://www.flickr.com/photos/illingworth/
Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #209 on: July 03, 2016, 02:46:04 PM »

We have not tried A. yamatense.   John, you wrote  >>I have to wonder if this is not what Barrie Porteous was growing long ago on Georgian Bay and which at the time was thought to be tortuousum or even robust?<< Do you mean what we grow here as consanguineum?

Rob  - Thanks for the great info.  No I meant I wonder if yamatense is the big arisaema Barrie grew.  It was very tall and green-flowered.  In the autumn I'll send you a spare to try out there as it seems impervious to the weather.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal